Spider II, I know >_> I'm just asking to see if this would be common amongst other amps or if it's just on these.

I've noticed that with my Spider II, if I have the amp on pretty much any channel other than clean, any type of volume control works more as a gain control than actual volume. If I'm on the insane channel, and I want to play quietly, the only control I have over the volume is the Master Volume knob. If I turn the guitar's volume down, all it does is put the gain down lower and lower until eventually at the last quarter turn or so it goes silent.

With my digidelay, it's basically impossible to use on any channel other than clean. With the spider's built in delays, I can easily control the volume on the echo so that it doesn't make everything sound so cluttered and muddy. If I use my digidelay, the volume/level control is basically useless, all it does is make the echo slightly less overdriven, but with the same volume.

Is this common amongst different amps/pedals, or is it just the Spiders? This is really frustrating :\ I loved playing with the delay (even if it is quite limited) on the amp, so when I got my digidelay, I expected it to be even better. When I was testing out the digidelay at the shop, I was tested it with a metal master, and some other distortion/overdrive pedals and it sounded fine D:
That's how it works, dude. The Master Volume is there is control the overall loudness, the channel volume is really more of a gain control, usually.
well first off.....turning down the guitars volume lowers your input power.....which inturn doesnt over drive or distort as much, hensforth the gain goes down.....second....a delay before a distortion sounds bad because the amp is trying to distort 2 different soundwaves rather than one so it has to sound terrible.....the delay on the amp is placed AFTER THE DISTORTION CIRCIUT so it is delay all of the signal after its been distorted which sounds great.....so basicly you delay pedal can only sound right on the clean channel....if your amp has and effects loop send and return in the back plug your pedal into that to get some great delay sounds.....but if it doesnt than your stuck with control of clean channel delays and thats really it.....if you have any questions or i didnt make sense somewhere send me a pm
This is a G chord....i used to be in a cranberries tribute band.
Look, I'm no fundamentalist, I don't hate spiders, I know what they can and can't do...

Just to tell you, the spider II is the worst, but basicly any modeling amp will go crazy with incredible distortion and EXTERNAL pedals and stuff... It can't handle any effects as it is a 100% digital amp, and it starts clipping and going mental immediately, which isn't good. I'd advise you to use your pedal less until you've got a new amp (preferably non-modeling)

Also, if it comes to distortion, you're always depending on the volume knob on the amp or the pedal for volume, your guitar's volume know will always down the gain... The volume too, but to a far lesser extent.
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Basically what your doing by turning your guitars volume down is reducing the input signal into the amp, making it less overdriven. This happens on all amp, and on more responisve amps it's a great way to clean up the sound.

With the delay thing it's a similar concept. You're running it Guitar>delay>amp. This means that the repeats will be distorted AFTER they are repeated*. Because the repeats are quieter they are a reduced input signal and as a result are cleaner...

*Gonna expand on this a bit.

Guitar>delay>amp

Guitar signal goes out clean> this clean signal goes into the delay. The repeats come out of the delay clean> the clean signal, including the repeats reach the amp and the signal is distorted.

Guitar>amp>delay (in fx loop)

Guitar signal goes out clean>distorted by amp>distorted signal goes into delay and the distorted signal is repeated.

The second method is usually preffered as it gives clearer delays.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Makes sense, thanks guys. So if I were to have a specific pedal for distortion, and I went Guitar > distortion > delay > amp, I'd be able to control the actual volume of it better? Just need money >.< all these pedals and setups I want ._.