I used to hold my pick with index and middle straight on my thumb

Now im trying to make it so i have more controll by doing the whole side of index on thumb thing but when i goto hit a string my index finger hits the higher strings and causes them to ring... help?
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
I find that it's nicest to hold it with them thumb and with the side of the index finger.
I alter the position to get different tone and to make some techniques easier.
Try looking some stuff up. Read on what are the most efficient ways then try to keep those in mind while just going after what's most comfortable for you.
Last edited by Evil_Magician at Jun 27, 2009,
I hate to be a dick buuuuuut, if you cain't even figure out how to hold the fukken pick then maybe you should consider a different instrument.
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
Quote by Jesus_Dean
I hate to be a dick buuuuuut, if you cain't even figure out how to hold the fukken pick then maybe you should consider a different instrument.

That's a bit harsh... Considering that one does not necessarily need a pick to play the guitar.

If all else fails with a pick, there's always finger plucking style to try out.
You need to mute the strings that touch by mistake, the ringing will vanish if you do so.
I've heard it both ways
Quote by Jesus_Dean
I hate to be a dick

Then don't be one.

I use my pick differently than I remember my general music teacher several years telling me how to hold the pick. But I hold it however it feels comfortable for me.

Just hold it the most comfortable way for you possible. I hope there's not "proper technique" for it. :P
Just experiment with a few examples from the internet. Picking examples where the person is a good guitarist is a good idea. Eventually you will find a way that suits you. There is no right way really just choose what feels good and lets you play well.