K, so I'm in this metal band right and one of my guitarists keeps on wanting to tune to dropped C and B cause its not metal till its uber drop tuned right?
Anyways they seem to think that tuning that low on the fly is easy for a bassist but I always get uber amounts of buzzing and crappy tone.
So is this normal? Im using 45-105 rotosound swing bass.
You need a 35 scale and some thicker strings. It'll help get lower easier.
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
thicker strings and longer scale. exactly what the guy above me said.
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

Drop B is gonna sound like **** no matter what unless you have a B string

My advice to you? Either tune BEAD, or 5 string it up
I play in a usually metal influenced band as well, the guitarists both tune to drop C but i tune to C standard cause I get pissed when ive got to learn to play some chords and scales in some crazy reaching way. Yeh, it makes it a little more difficult to do some cover songs but i think its worth it.

Anyway, either get your bass set up for the tuning you need or learn generally how to do some basic things from the net but of course be careful. You'll also likely want to use a heavier gauge of strings. I use 50-115 myself and so far its been going pretty good.

But taking the necks tension from a higher setting to a lower one over maybe a few minutes time probably isnt that good of an idea but it can be taken care of with some maintenance and a bit of time to let the neck settle, yeh?

Also, for songs in tunings higher than C ... i just slap a capo on and get to playing, seems like the fastest way to handle it even though it cuts off some access to the higher frets.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
i gotta ask, what string gauge would be good for drop D tuning but is also good for standard tuning? someone told me a 45-105 gauge, but im still not sure...