ok so I started playing the guitar (jumped right to electric,I hate that bs that you HAVE TO play the acoustic before moving to the electric) 5 months ago and I gotta say that there's been quite the development but I've got this tendency to use dropped tunings. So my guitar's a Washburn X-10 (yes,I know,disgusting,but I love it and it was quite expensive as most guitars here in Bulgaria). I play in Drop B but I'm using gauge 10 strings. I'm also using a 1.14 mm pick... Am I playing in a strange way? 'cause many people would say this sucks but I like it,I like the sound it makes,I've changed strings only once and I wanna change to gauge 11 but I doubt I'll wanna go higher 'cause I'd like to be able to go to standart sooner or later. But am I currently too...dunno scary with these preferences?Actually I just wanna receive some tips. I like the way I play and I won't change it or anything because it suits me but I never disregard tips
Quote by Dopemgs
ok so I started playing the guitar (jumped right to electric,I hate that bs that you HAVE TO play the acoustic before moving to the electric) 5 months ago and I gotta say that there's been quite the development but I've got this tendency to use dropped tunings. So my guitar's a Washburn X-10 (yes,I know,disgusting,but I love it and it was quite expensive as most guitars here in Bulgaria). I play in Drop B but I'm using gauge 10 strings. I'm also using a 1.14 mm pick... Am I playing in a strange way? 'cause many people would say this sucks but I like it,I like the sound it makes,I've changed strings only once and I wanna change to gauge 11 but I doubt I'll wanna go higher 'cause I'd like to be able to go to standart sooner or later. But am I currently too...dunno scary with these preferences?Actually I just wanna receive some tips. I like the way I play and I won't change it or anything because it suits me but I never disregard tips

I started off the same way as you. Started off with electric, skipped acoustic. I dont like acoustic too much anyways... unless I play Darkness by Disturbed.

I got the same tendency. I play a lot of Drop C and some D. Even when I started playing I went down to C, but I learned scales/apreggios and whatnot in standard first.

You should go back up to standard tuning and learn scales/arpeggios to better know your guitar.

I used a thicker pick as well when I started playing. I used a 1mm pick, I eventually went to down to a .60mm, they feel best to me. anyting over 1mm pick sizes IMO should be used for basses only.

If you're playing in Drop B, your going to need 12 or 13 gauge strings. 11's are good for standard thru C.
"Music is felt through our soul, not heard with our ears" - Sully Erna

Current Gear:
Ibanez SR755 5-string bass
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1
I love the feeling of the thicker picks and the sound they produce. I have a 0.6 with which I play often as well but I feel like I have more control with the thicker one. For tremolo picking I adore 0.88 <3

I do wanna learn scales and arpeggios to know my guitar but I was wondering whether there wasn't a way to turn them to drop b and learn them this way. I'm going to buy an acoustic soon and I'm gonna learn the standart ones on it but I was wondering whether I should learn them in Drop B for my electric guitar.

These 10's are like some hairs on the guitar it's really annoying 'cause I try to play some Slipknot and at times they just swing around :X But it's worth it

I was also wondering whether I could be offered a group which uses Drop B 'cause I learn many Machine head and Slipknot songs but I can't find any other group which uses Drop B.

And to make it clear: I still play in standart but I really prefer drop B.
It isn't really the best thing to only play one style of music so I'd say you should experiment with standard tuning and such.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
I wanted to make it clear that I'm not playing only one style. I just really prefer Drop B.
as long as it sounds ok, and you can play it without the strings falling off, then all good.
Don't change it if other people tell you, just develop your own setup that feels right for you.
Your not going to be able to get the standard scales/arpeggios on Drop B. you would have to go really high on the fretboard, but they wouldnt sound right anyway...

Your 10 gauge strings in Drop must be very loose and sound very muddy. Once again, you should use a 12 or 13 gauge to go that low and get decent sound from that tuning. I wouldnt play in standard with those strings either, I'd have a second guitar with thinner strings to do so.

I dont know of any band who play in Drop B besides Slipknot. Static-X plays in A# on their newer albums (Start A War, Cannibal, Cult of Static).

Bring me the Horizon I think play in Drop B
"Music is felt through our soul, not heard with our ears" - Sully Erna

Current Gear:
Ibanez SR755 5-string bass
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1
Last edited by LoweRider at Jun 27, 2009,
one of the main reasons people begin on acoustics is just cause it strengthens the fingers and your calasis faster but yer.
also with the learning scales and arpeggios it might be a good idea to learn them in standard as you then learn how they sound in the right key and all that
avenged sevenfold rule
Exactly my problem too much screaming with Bring me the Horizon.
I don't like Static-X's new music (last two albums) but yeah they sound as if they're heavily downtuned
They are extremely loose and muddy and I'm thinking of moving back to Drop C but I've learned too many SOAD songs in it and I don't like other Drop C groups...
I haven't tried any scales in Drop B but I know 2 scales in Drop C and yes they do go high on the fretboard I was thinking just to develop my scales to go for 2 weeks on standart but it depends on my mood most of the time

Edit:jimmypickersgil ,I've heard the finger strenght thing and I do have my respect for it but I think you can develop it with the electric guitar as well. Constant practise is the way of the guitar thanks for the tip
Last edited by Dopemgs at Jun 27, 2009,
heh yeah but I've heard there are people playing in Drop G ;O That is crazy :X
haha that'd be abit bad playing in drop g i think, the strings would be right slack and horrible, might aswell just buy a octaver pedal
avenged sevenfold rule
well guys thanks for the tips if there are any more post 'em along I'm going to go to bed and I'll think about turning to standart to learn a bit thanks once more good night
You can easily go into standards with 11's, i've gone into Standard with 13-56's. (though that was probably the dumbest thing I've ever done...) I would say go with some 12-52's or something. Those would work in Drop B and Standard.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...