Hey,
Does anyone have any experience/advice on teaching young children (7+) guitar?

My cousin asked if I would teach her son as he was interested in guitar and I don't mind giving it a go but i've never taught anyone.. I'm guessing aslong as its a bit fun and I cover basics it should be okay, its no deal trying to make them amazing..

Anyone have any advice?
I'm wondering what to start with, how to keep it interesting, what easy regconisable songs we could work towards and little simple maybe 1 string tunes/themes that would be regconisable and easy to teach that would give them a sense of achivement. I'm guessing thats a good idea?

Anyone got any ideas/advice or experience?
All advice appreiciated!

Thanks for your help!
My gear
ESP Horizon II FR (Seymour's with coil tap)
ESP LTD Ex400
Wesley Explorer/Dominator

Ashdown Fallen Angel 40w DSP

BOSS DS-2 Turbo distortion
BOSS AC-3 Acoustic Simulator
BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Last edited by David_VI at Jun 27, 2009,
I have a few bits of advice from my own personal experience. Try to get them to start on a nylon stringed guitar, or at least light gauge steel strings. Just to ease them in and show the basics.

Just start off with a few basic chords, make sure they're fretting correctly and whatnot, don't want any bad habits to form early.

In terms of tunes, ask what they'd like to learn and simplify it, not that they're going to pick anything complicated.

Some basic scales are fun too, maybe even get them to hum along to get used to the sounds of each notes.

Most of all just be patient with them and don't put pressure on them, young children get bored quickly and are easily put-off.
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
First song I learned was blowing in the wind by bob dylan

But I hear the easiest first song to learn is brown eyed girl by van morrison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI89tkALqI8 <--- super easy vid lesson

Hope it helps,

Teige
Time Of Your Life by Green Day was my first song.

I was so happy when I could play it fully.

Whatever you do, try to make it fun.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Get them into power chords early, too.
the first full song i ever learned was Self Esteem by The Offspring.
It will get him used to the finger position in a power chord.
I HAVE RETURNED
Twitter
Quote by metalkickTM
migueltherocker: The retarded unicorn-fish of the sea

Quote by ShredHead396

Dude, that was just pure win, i laughed the entire way

first stack ^
Thanks guys.

I think I need to find some overly simple yet rewarding stuff.. theme tune kinda stuff.

Somehow make it fun!

keep it coming if you have advice/ideas
My gear
ESP LTD Ex400

BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
Quote by David_VI
Thanks guys.

I think I need to find some overly simple yet rewarding stuff.. theme tune kinda stuff.

Somehow make it fun!

keep it coming if you have advice/ideas

Sesame Street is a good one.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
hehe. im in the same position sort of. im 14 and pretty good, and i have a family friend who wants me to teach their daughter who is like 11ish. now i am by no means all that great on theory but i get by pretty well and i am learning theory in my lessons atm.

i figured i would give her all the basics, teach her to read tabs (i dont read notes but i know how to, just not fluently so ill teach her the same way) and then teach her a little about theory (only some of the stuff that i know). i would tech power chords early, tell her to practice them at home by trying to come up with a progression.

anyway, gl with your teaching .
I started out with an acoustic guitar with very high action (hard to press the strings down) and it really built my finger strength up. Very useful. It was kind of a blessing in disguise.
He could get professional guitar lessons and you could help him with his home work. This is what I do with my 8 year old. For the first 7 weeks he’s been learning notes in the first position and a few single note tunes and theory. Haven’t really got into chords in a big way yet. Just building finger strength, muscle memory and good technique.

Outside his music lesson we are practicing 4 nights a week for 30 minutes and progress is slow but he is making progress. I find it more effective if we do the exercises together and have turns calling out the note names rather than me watching him and telling him what to do.
Quote by Xena Droid
He could get professional guitar lessons and you could help him with his home work. This is what I do with my 8 year old. For the first 7 weeks he’s been learning notes in the first position and a few single note tunes and theory. Haven’t really got into chords in a big way yet. Just building finger strength, muscle memory and good technique.

Outside his music lesson we are practicing 4 nights a week for 30 minutes and progress is slow but he is making progress. I find it more effective if we do the exercises together and have turns calling out the note names rather than me watching him and telling him what to do.

Thats a good idea.
What kinda single note tunes has he learnt? I'mhaving trouble finding stuff to use.
David
My gear
ESP LTD Ex400

BOSS GE-7 Equalizer
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9
I would recommend one of Hal Leonards Easy Pop Melodies books with the play along CD.