I imagine this is a common dillema amongst guitarists: buy online because it's cheaper, or buy in a local store so you're able to play before you buy, and be sure you like it?
Personnaly, at the moment, I'm either buying a Fender Classic Players 50s strat, or a 60s strat. The neighbourhood's store sells both for 750 euros, while I found both for less than 600 euros on Thomann.de.

Is it worth the extra cash? There's a 150 euro difference. People say that you should play before you buy, because even guitars from the same series/models can vary in feel and even quality, and if you played it in the store and loved it, and order it online, you might end up getting something you like a lot less.

Right now I feel like buying my strat online. Just because of the money. I could spend the money I save buy buying from Thomann on a nice hard case. (In the end, I'm as Dutch as a Dutchman can be =D)

Your thoughts?
when you buy from a store it should be setup. its worth trying before you buy.

I buy online only because I dont think I am going to find a guitar store in between dirt and lions.
I test most things I buy at my local GC, or go into the city. Then would buy online. My thoughts for this is: If I buy it from a store, the guitar isn't always as playable as what it could be. Then instead of having to wait a week for them to set it up, just order it online. Plus there's no tax and only takes 3 days to get to me (samedaymusic ftw). Then I set it up my self.
I would go for buying it online. I was in the same situation and the on i orderd online was just as good as the one i tried at the store
My Gear:

PRS Se Custom 24
Vox Vt 30
Esp Ltd C-301 Bass
Acoustic B100 Bass Amp
Morley Power Wah Bass Pedal
Quote by LTD-F-250
I would go for buying it online. I was in the same situation and the on i orderd online was just as good as the one i tried at the store

Thanks for the comments guys! I think I'll order online.

LTD, what kind of guitar did you buy by the way?
Try it instore, then buy it instore.

OR

If you can find a good deal online, then try it instore and buy it online.

Always test out the gear!
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Always try before you buy. Also keep in mind even though a guitar may be of the same model every guitar is unique because even if two guitars are made from wood from the same tree, They will be different an dyou may like what is in one guitar that you can't get in another.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by cruc1a7
when you buy from a store it should be setup. its worth trying before you buy.

I buy online only because I dont think I am going to find a guitar store in between dirt and lions.

Dude, does anyone even ship to Uganda?
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
My policy is: If possible, always try AND buy at a store. That way you can try multiple guitars of the same model and pick the one that feels the best.

This applies especially to handmade guitars, i.e. Gibson, but is still a good idea to do with factory-made guitars that are cut almost entirely by CNC machines and then assembled by workers.
I cant say for sure because you aren't in the US but most major retail stores price match online competitors. Try it out at the store find a good deal online and then buy at the store for online price. Then if you have problems you can easily go back to where you got it. You can also try out the exact instrument you will be buying this way.
When there's that big of a difference, buy online. Or if the stores do price match, use that.
I bought my previous RGR421 online, and there were no regrets. All I had to do was adjust the truss rod a little and it was ready to play.

IMO, buying online is fine, but you gotta know what you want before you consider it.
"Music is felt through our soul, not heard with our ears" - Sully Erna

Current Gear:
Ibanez SR755 5-string bass
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1
well i've done a bit of both. honestly unless you can't get the guitar locally or there is a really big price margin then go shop locally.

a) you'll get to know salesman and might be able to get future deals out of them
b) you could always haggle for free stuff to make the online prices seem unreasonable and
c) they have a shop to run and such need to price things higher so that they can pay for said shops bills to run the store.

just be nice and don't expect much out of them when you buy your first guitar but hopefully for future sales just say you've spent a fair amount of money at the store and would like to continue shopping their
Quote by ibanezgod1973
in store, never buy a guitar you haven`t playtested, couriers don`t know what fragile means.

or they do and deliberately treat it worse then usual. it reminds me of the time when i bought my RG550 and under the fragile sticker there was a piece of cardboard missing presumably scratched away
Buying in store is better if you buy from a good guitar shop. They will setup the guitar properly for you and help you out with advice. Also you get to play a few before you buy and choose the one that best suits you. A guitar may look good on paper but when you play it for real it may not be what you want. Take the internet price into the store and see how much they will reduce the price. I would rather pay slightly more for a well setup guitar from a good shop as there is no point saving money to get a poor guitar.
Quote by darkhorizon
Buying in store is better if you buy from a good guitar shop. They will setup the guitar properly for you and help you out with advice. Also you get to play a few before you buy and choose the one that best suits you. A guitar may look good on paper but when you play it for real it may not be what you want. Take the internet price into the store and see how much they will reduce the price. I would rather pay slightly more for a well setup guitar from a good shop as there is no point saving money to get a poor guitar.

This.

Plus, if you're in a store, you can try several guitars from the same model and find one that feels better than all the others, and then you buy that one
i think that buying on line is a bit of a risk even if you've played the model of guitar you want to buy beforehand and liked it. With decreasing quality control resulting in an increased chance of the guitar you get being a dud, and companies like gibson only very roughly keeping to the specs their guitars are supposed to have... you could end up with a guitar that is made out of a tonally lacking piece of timber, or one which is badly built, or one which just doesn't suit you...

i'd rather buy a guitar in-store, and be sure i'm getting the same guitar i played. for a while i thought it was OCD, but then i discovered that it makes sense - you should want to get the same piece of wood knowing another piece of wood will be different.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by mamosa
When there's that big of a difference, buy online. Or if the stores do price match, use that.

agreed. anything much over a £50 difference and i'm buying online.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Blompcube
i'd rather buy a guitar in-store, and be sure i'm getting the same guitar i played. for a while i thought it was OCD, but then i discovered that it makes sense - you should want to get the same piece of wood knowing another piece of wood will be different.

You are not alone with this

If you find a guitar in a shop you really enjoy playing then buy the guitar in your hands. You may be able to get a discount if it is a used store guitar. Either way just buy it if you are happy with the condition it is in.
It depends on the brand. If the brand makes incosistent guitars I will only buy in a store. Most guitars I buy nowadays are online though, and I have never been dissapointed by that.