I thought they were a no-namer...till i relised they are part of the Gibson family...so how come theyre so cheap and what are they like? play wise and and sound?

thanks XD
I hear the bigger your signature, the better they sound.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
I never knew about em til people on here suggested em and then I googled Kramers. Apprently they were popular back in the 80's.

But to your question, theyre made overseas, but so are some $800 Fenders. I dont know why so cheap. But the quality is good and the feel is nice, but theyre mostly for shred.
its like £185 off GAK.co.uk...theyre most expensive on that site :s and juadaif...i have my reasons
The older ones are better. Some of the new ones are really cheap, you get what you pay for type thing.
The original Kramer company went the way of the dodo till GIbson restarted the line awhile back. This happens moore than people realize......

Epiphone, VOX and Hagstrom are other examples of resurected companies.
Moving on.....
Quote by Zach Dunn
I thought they were a no-namer...till i relised they are part of the Gibson family...so how come theyre so cheap and what are they like? play wise and and sound?

thanks XD

No namer? That's funny! At one time back in the 80's they outsold Gibson and Fender. Kramer went under in the early 90's. Then later on Gibson bought the name and started reproducing the vintage models.

Kramer was huge back in the day and are still, at least to me, among the best shred guitars there are. I prefer the originals though but I hear good things about the newer Gibson ones.

If you are going to buy one from the 80's. I would stay away from the Striker, 100 sereis and Aerostar lines. The Focus lines and up are the shiznit IMHO. Many of the Kramers from that time period are highly collectible and growing in value these days.
Quote by halo71
No namer? That's funny! At one time back in the 80's they outsold Gibson and Fender.

i was thinking the same thing lol they used to be pretty much the biggest thing around

they're pretty no nonsense, one or two pickups and a trem, but they're awesome guitars i think. and they used to be almost mandatory for a hair metal band. they just never really adapted and changed like jackson, bc rich, and even charvel
Kramers were pretty much the ultimate hair metal guitars alongside Charvels, BC Riches, etc.

The old ones are nice if you ever get a chance to try one out, stay AWAY from the Gibson-made ones, except maybe the '85 Baretta reissue, I've never played one but they look like they could be decent. The early ones were USA-made, but I think from the mid-80s up, they used parts made by ESP in Japan, but then they assembled them in the USA so they could get away with calling them "American".

However, the low-end Korean made Strikers were cheap crap, and I'm pretty sure they were usually plywood. Watch out for those.

If you want to read up on their history, check out vintagekramer.com. They have some interesting stuff and you'll learn a lot. (I went through a period where wanted a Kramer more than anything, and I still would love to have one.)
Just to reiterate everything people have said; the 80's models are good, the newer models not so much. I've got a old kramer and it plays pretty nicely.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Quote by CaptDin
The old ones are nice if you ever get a chance to try one out, stay AWAY from the Gibson-made ones, except maybe the '85 Baretta reissue, I've never played one but they look like they could be decent.
Eh, yes and no. Most of the new ones aren't anywhere near as good as the old Kramers of course, but then again a 'real' Kramer will cost ten times what the news ones cost so it's no surprise. The new ones are mostly beginner-level guitars so it stands to reason that they're not going to be amazing. For their price range though, they're alright.

However some of the new ones, such as the Baretta Reissue you mentioned as well as the '84 version and the Jersey Star (reissue of what used to be the Richie Sambora signature) are really good. I've played one of the Jersey Stars and I have not stopped kicking myself for not buying it because it was the best non-Custom Shop guitar I've ever laid my hands on.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Eh, yes and no. Most of the new ones aren't anywhere near as good as the old Kramers of course, but then again a 'real' Kramer will cost ten times what the news ones cost so it's no surprise. The new ones are mostly beginner-level guitars so it stands to reason that they're not going to be amazing. For their price range though, they're alright.

However some of the new ones, such as the Baretta Reissue you mentioned as well as the '84 version and the Jersey Star (reissue of what used to be the Richie Sambora signature) are really good. I've played one of the Jersey Stars and I have not stopped kicking myself for not buying it because it was the best non-Custom Shop guitar I've ever laid my hands on.

Well yeah, to be fair the only Gibson-made Kramers I've played are the ones that they have in the Gibson Showcase store here in Nashville, and those were all Focus strat-copies. I'm sure the more expensive reissues like the Jersey Star are pretty nice.

Did they ever reissue the Vivian Campbell signature? I've seen those on the Internet and have always been intrigued by them, only guitar I've ever seen with a HHX pickup config.
^ No they never reissued the Nightswan. And to tell the truth, while being a nice looking guitar with the lightning bolts and all. The R2 neck on them is way to thin. I have several Kramer's, would love to have a Nightswan as well if nothing else for its rarity.

And I am fairly sure Gibson has no plans to reissue that model.
Quote by CaptDin
Well yeah, to be fair the only Gibson-made Kramers I've played are the ones that they have in the Gibson Showcase store here in Nashville, and those were all Focus strat-copies. I'm sure the more expensive reissues like the Jersey Star are pretty nice.

Did they ever reissue the Vivian Campbell signature? I've seen those on the Internet and have always been intrigued by them, only guitar I've ever seen with a HHX pickup config.

Really? Because the Stephen Carpenter LTD sig model is HHX.
Quote by mamosa
Really? Because the Stephen Carpenter LTD sig model is HHX.

I guess I might have looked over those, I'm probably the only metalhead who isn't really into ESPs. But between those two, I think the Night Swan is sexier.
Quote by halo71
^ No they never reissued the Nightswan. And to tell the truth, while being a nice looking guitar with the lightning bolts and all. The R2 neck on them is way to thin. I have several Kramer's, would love to have a Nightswan as well if nothing else for its rarity.

And I am fairly sure Gibson has no plans to reissue that model.

I've never played one, I just thought they looked cool from what I saw on the Internet.
Yeah the Nightswans are really cool looking but the Nightswan II is cooler!

Other Nightswans

The holoflash Nightswan is pretty rare!
Old Barettas and Focuses are the sex if you look around for a good deal.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by MrFlibble

yeah, i liked the jersey star I tried too, it was very nice indeed. I didn't buy it because i'm not too fussed on signature models, and also I'm not that fond of my musicyo striker, i was scared of getting it home and realising something about it i didn't like. also the "assembled in the USA" sticker (rather than "made") made me very suspicious. I don't care where something's made as long as it's good quality, but I don't like being lied to (or have it implied) that something is made elsewhere because they think that that suggests to the consumer that it's higher quality.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i liked the jersey star I tried too, it was very nice indeed. I didn't buy it because i'm not too fussed on signature models, and also I'm not that fond of my musicyo striker, i was scared of getting it home and realising something about it i didn't like. also the "assembled in the USA" sticker (rather than "made") made me very suspicious. I don't care where something's made as long as it's good quality, but I don't like being lied to (or have it implied) that something is made elsewhere because they think that that suggests to the consumer that it's higher quality.
From what I recall, the parts of all the 'USA' Kramers now are made in Japan and then put together in America. I don't know why they bother because in terms of just bolting the damn thing together Japan's as good as America.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
USA Kramer's made by Gibson are being made/painted and assembled in America.
Quote by MrFlibble
From what I recall, the parts of all the 'USA' Kramers now are made in Japan and then put together in America. I don't know why they bother because in terms of just bolting the damn thing together Japan's as good as America.

very interesting, thanks. yeah, i agree, by and large japanese manufacture is badass. And the coyness regarding the manufacture just makes paranoid types like me even more suspicious.

Just to point out- I think (could be wrong; just i seem to remember a thread about them on rigtalk) that the custom art ones are 100% made in the USA. Though that could have changed recently, that thread I'm talking about is from a couple of years ago.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I like my £180 424 Striker from Kramer as much as my MIA strat.

I also own a Taylor 314-CE. The Kramer has been incredible for the price.
They are awesome.

I'm thinking of selling my fender to fund a Kramer project.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2