Page 1 of 3
Ok basically atm I am looking at amps and one of my choices is the vox AC4, and I've heard that it is still quite loud even in its lower watt modes if you want gain, I also know that it doesn't have an effects loop but that if I used an od pedal then that wouldn't matter.

o my quesiton is what OD pedals are good for getting indie/rock sounds. BTW I don't want suggestions of a bad monkey cos I've heard its just ok.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
I'm a big fan of the Fulltone OCD. I play indie rock. I really like it.

Most distortion pedals lose a lot of the clarity of the tone. This, I have found keeps most of it, and is more or less like the gain on an amp.

The only downside is that its $160.
Quote by Souls United
I'm a big fan of the Fulltone OCD. I play indie rock. I really like it.

Most distortion pedals lose a lot of the clarity of the tone. This, I have found keeps most of it, and is more or less like the gain on an amp.

How is that a downside? It's worth every penny?

Now, if it were stupidly expensive for not much improvement over another model *cough* Klon Centaur *cough* then I might agree.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
ok thanks anyone else?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
The Bad Monkey is actually surprisingly good and a damn site better than 'just ok'. I have quite a bit of Hardwire gear as it's fantastic quality gear but I still keep a Bad Monkey as I find it just as good as the Hardwire version which is twice the price at least.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Hmm ok, what hardwire pedal is it you have?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
get the fulltone OCD as it will give you the gain you need to compensate for the low gain OD of the AC4.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
If you don't have the budget for an OCD you can always go for a Boss SD 1, try to find a made in Japan one used, they are nice.
For rock, maybe one by BOSS or Ibanez?
Tube screamers can be nice to smoothen tone and boost it for solos IMO
The Keeley Sd-1 5 Star GE is a great OD. Toggle switch up and you get transparent clean boost. toggle down and it's a nice gritty boost that will send a dirty amp screaming od and maintain note and chord clarity.
i like mxr gt-od or a plain old ts9
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Fulltone OCD
or a ProTone Dead Horse (its 229 tho )
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by bubb_tubbs
How is that a downside? It's worth every penny?

Now, if it were stupidly expensive for not much improvement over another model *cough* Klon Centaur *cough* then I might agree.
you know, I actually think they sound ok. The $350 price tag is pushing it but I mean, there are some other really expensive pedals out there that go for that much.

What is ridiculous is people selling theirs for $700, and what is even stupider is people buying them for $700 because they don't want to wait for one being built.

Exact same case with Tim White pickups on the LPF, though at least they have the excuse that Tim doesn't make pickups anymore.
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by al112987
you know, I actually think they sound ok. The $350 price tag is pushing it but I mean, there are some other really expensive pedals out there that go for that much.

What is ridiculous is people selling theirs for $700, and what is even stupider is people buying them for $700 because they don't want to wait for one being built.

Exact same case with Tim White pickups on the LPF, though at least they have the excuse that Tim doesn't make pickups anymore.

Oh, I don't have a problem with them as pedal - I think they sound fantastic. But I've heard A/Bs of them against OD 808s and TS 808s and I really didn't think the increased price was justified for the upgrade it provided in sound.

The differences were extremely minor.

Edit: and for the record, I'm talking about the inflated resale prices, not the initial $400 since a good mod for the TS 808 or OD 808 will run you almost to that range anyways.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by al112987

Agreed, I liked the centaur i tried, a lot. The price was daft, though (here it's more like £300 ). and why people will pay double the second-hand price for a used one just to avoid a wait, I dunno. I mean, maybe if you have a big gig coming up in 2 days' time, and your own centaur (which is an integral part of your tone) has just died or something, but everyone who pays over the odds for one s/h can't be in that situation. And even if they are, it's not good enough to pay so much over the odds.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Agreed, I liked the centaur i tried, a lot. The price was daft, though (here it's more like £300 ). and why people will pay double the second-hand price for a used one just to avoid a wait, I dunno. I mean, maybe if you have a big gig coming up in 2 days' time, and your own centaur (which is an integral part of your tone) has just died or something, but everyone who pays over the odds for one s/h can't be in that situation. And even if they are, it's not good enough to pay so much over the odds.

Have you tried the Maxon OD 820? It's very similar for $210 brand new but a bit more flexible, IMO.

nah, i haven't, unfortunately. I've only tried the maxon od808 and od9...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok a lot of people are saying the fulltone ocd.

And a lot of people are saying about boosts which confuses me?

BTW my influences are RHCP, Muse, Green Day, Killers, Idlewide, Queen, Oasis etc. so I want to be able to get indie and rock tones.

I know I'll need a fuzz pedal or wahtever for Muse.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Quote by demitriv

you need a Kaoss(is that how you spell it ?) pad
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by demitriv
Ok a lot of people are saying the fulltone ocd.

And a lot of people are saying about boosts which confuses me?

BTW my influences are RHCP, Muse, Green Day, Killers, Idlewide, Queen, Oasis etc. so I want to be able to get indie and rock tones.

Boost just means you barely use any Drive or Gain on the overdrive pedal and mostly use the Level/Volume and eq knobs to push the preamp of your amplifier, or tighten up your sound a bit.

There are also lots of transparent clean boosters that add no dirt but have a bunch of other cool features like the RC Booster.

Be aware that the Fulltone OCD is around $150 USD but it's worth every penny and it'll hold its value.

Yea well the vox is like £100 quid cheaper than the Blackstar which I was originally going to buy so I have the budget.

And no I don't need a kaos pad lol.

So just to clarify this pedal will let me get the great Vox overdrive sound from the amp at low volumes?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Quote by demitriv
Yea well the vox is like £100 quid cheaper than the Blackstar which I was originally going to buy so I have the budget.

Like I said, you won't regret it.

One of the things many people (myself included) tend to do with guitar gear is instead of going for the right pedal, they purchase the "right now" pedal.

Buying quality stuff right off the hop loses you less money in the long haul from various gear upgrades. Good to see you're not making that mistake.

Edit: ^ it might not get precisely the Vox overdrive sound if you use the Drive part. You need power tube distortion for that sound, which means an attenuator or earplugs.

Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jun 28, 2009,
lol yea, thank you all, I think that I might actually be close to making a decsion, expect a ngd soon.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
before you pull the trigger on the ocd, make sure you look into the xotic bb preamp pedal. If your gonna go with a higher end boost/drive pedal, make sure you do your homework and get exactly what you want. There are several options available.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Ok so apart from those two what are my otehr options?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Quote by demitriv
Ok so apart from those two what are my otehr options?

Can of worms = opened.

lol, so like come on if there are more options what are they?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
there are so many options, that's the problem. i'd get the amp first, and see what i thought of it. get the pedal later when you know better what you want the pedal to do.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maxon OD808.
Lovepedal Eternity.
Lovepedal Amp 50.
Subdecay Liquid Sunshine.
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive.
Xotic RC/AC booster.
Ok my friend has the amp so i'll go try it out at some point, but i just want to be able to get those sounds I listed at bedroom volumes.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
it can be switched down to a quarter of a watt, can't it? that might be bedroom volume, with any luck...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I greatly enjoyed my Keeley modded Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive while I had it, and I also like the Maxon OD 808 and the gearmanndude Luther Drive, among others...
Quote by Dave_Mc
it can be switched down to a quarter of a watt, can't it? that might be bedroom volume, with any luck...

My friend seems to think it isn't.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
i have the boss super overdrive and the ibanez tube screamer. i do use them for boosting my signal and i actually favor the boss over the ibanez for boosting and for overall usage. the boss has a touch more overdrive and its a little bit cheaper. the boss gives quite nice overdriven sounds and for boosting it tightens everything up very nicely.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
can't go wrong with the luther drive, fantastic pedal and its not expensive either
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by demitriv
My friend seems to think it isn't.

i dunno. 5 watts or so certainly isn't, but a quarter might be. would be worth waiting till you get it, just to see. Of course, you might need an overdrive anyway even if that is bedroom volume, to give it a bit of a boost (or even just a variety of tones), but at least then you'll know for sure if you need it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Souls United

Where did you buy it? I've never seen one for over $143 except on Musician's Friend.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i think he means that an overdrive would be the only pedal he'd be using, and you don't generally put them in effects loops? Could be wrong, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 3