Hey guys, I was wondering normally with a 4 string you'd just drop the E a step, but if you do that with a 5 string... What exactly do you do with the B string??

Do people just keep it in standard tuning & use 3rd fret on the B instead of open Low D string??
Quote by maXterbat0r
Personally, I prefer to downtune the B with the E, so it's tuned ADADG.

taht's what most ppl do, just so the fretting intervals are in the same place.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
I keep it in standard, and if I need to go lower than the B I tune the B string down to whatever the lowest note needed is, and keep the other strings the same.

If you plan on just following the guitarist, and he uses drop D, you could do BDADG, and ignore the B string, but your best of just sticking to a four string until your good enough with theory to be able to play something different from the guitar, and to be able to know the notes he's playing and where they are on your instrument, rather than just following the frets.
I've thought that could've been what most people do, but wasn't sure!
Any other ways of tuning to drop D on a 5/6 string?? (Just curious now)

EDIT:
Quote by isaac_bandits
I keep it in standard, and if I need to go lower than the B I tune the B string down to whatever the lowest note needed is, and keep the other strings the same.

If you plan on just following the guitarist, and he uses drop D, you could do BDADG, and ignore the B string, but your best of just sticking to a four string until your good enough with theory to be able to play something different from the guitar, and to be able to know the notes he's playing and where they are on your instrument, rather than just following the frets.

I'm decent enough with theory to do that, I think... But I'm actually trying to start a band (me on guitar) with a mate that's just started playing bass really & he's got a 5 string, so I'm trying to think of what would be simple enough for him, although... I'm not sure if I want to play in drop D (one of my favourite tunings) or just use my 7 string, which would be simpler, & it makes me sound like an idiot
Last edited by _-Joey-_ at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by isaac_bandits

5 Strings can't replace down-tuning. (Where's DeliriumBassist when I need him?)
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
why downtune unless playing something metal. or really needs it. you have a low B just keep it that way. why downtune on a 5 string. most people do not do that at all. so i dont know why someone said that. most people keep it the same.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Sometimes, nay, most of the time, in Drop D or the like, you're gonna be playing metal, which chugs the open D a **** ton. This is harder when you have to constantly go from up the neck on the A string to third fret B. Which is why it's generally better to tune Drop D on a five, than relocate the notes. You can make do with BEADG in some instances, but for the most part, naw.

And TS, Tune your seven to ADADGBE, so you could switch between and your bassist friend wouldn't have to change tunings for you. Least, I would if I were you.
Quote by biga29

5 Strings can't replace down-tuning. (Where's DeliriumBassist when I need him?)

I've never had a problem with BEADG, BbEADG, AEADG, or AbEADG as the only tunings I use on bass, and I've played with guitarists in drop D plently of times.

How does it not replace down tuning?
Quote by isaac_bandits
I've never had a problem with BEADG, BbEADG, AEADG, or AbEADG as the only tunings I use on bass, and I've played with guitarists in drop D plently of times.

it's a matter of taste dude if you are comfortable playing like that theres no problem
I think there's quite a bit of sound difference between a 3rd fret B and an open drop D, I like the drop D sound better a bit. Just a slight tone difference is all.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by isaac_bandits

Some riffs that need a pedaling Low D. Easy as that, some fingerings would be incredibly awkward or just plain impossible.
Try playing lamb of god stuff or 'like light to the flies' by trivium in 5 string standard (it's not gonna happen)
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
Try playing lamb of god stuff or 'like light to the flies' by trivium in 5 string standard (it's not gonna happen)

Lamb Of God is the kinda stuff that most inspires me to play in Drop D & where half of my ideas originate from, which is why I made this thread basically
Quote by Helbent Revenge
I think there's quite a bit of sound difference between a 3rd fret B and an open drop D, I like the drop D sound better a bit. Just a slight tone difference is all.

The tone will dependant on the strings your using and the tuning. If you have a light B string, it will sound the same tonally as an E string dropped to D, as both have less tension than normal.

Quote by watchingmefall
Some riffs that need a pedaling Low D. Easy as that, some fingerings would be incredibly awkward or just plain impossible.

I've never needed to play anything that required impossible pedaling of D. I almost never play the exact same thing as the guitar, and the odd time where I have, I can always manage by pedaling the D note on the B string and finding the other notes in the riff on E, A, and D.
Quote by isaac_bandits
The tone will dependant on the strings your using and the tuning. If you have a light B string, it will sound the same tonally as an E string dropped to D, as both have less tension than normal.

A fretted note will not have the same tone as an open note.

The tone also depends on many things, such as, oh I don't know, whether or not a piece of metal or flesh is touching the string, the thickness of the string (which yes you did address), the ratio of length/tightness.

Quote by isaac_bandits
I've never needed to play anything that required impossible pedaling of D. I almost never play the exact same thing as the guitar, and the odd time where I have, I can always manage by pedaling the D note on the B string and finding the other notes in the riff on E, A, and D.

WHICH is what a lot of drop tuning are often for! Thus you are not nullifying the need for it.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
A fretted note will not have the same tone as an open note.

The tone also depends on many things, such as, oh I don't know, whether or not a piece of metal or flesh is touching the string, the thickness of the string (which yes you did address), the ratio of length/tightness.

Unless your playing fretless, the flesh touching the string will have no effect on tone, as the string is only vibrating between the fret and bridge, which are both metal. You are correct that there will be slight tonal differences (unless using a zero fret) because of the difference between the physical properties of the material. However, bone or graphite is quite similar in terms of hardness to nickel, and will produce almost no difference in the tone.
Quote by isaac_bandits
Unless your playing fretless, the flesh touching the string will have no effect on tone, as the string is only vibrating between the fret and bridge, which are both metal. You are correct that there will be slight tonal differences (unless using a zero fret) because of the difference between the physical properties of the material. However, bone or graphite is quite similar in terms of hardness to nickel, and will produce almost no difference in the tone.

Try playing some Lamb of God as somebody else said, and you'll understand what we've been saying all along, or some hardcore with a lot of breakdowns and pedaling.
Quote by isaac_bandits

Really? Can we have some clips of your magic bass that has fretted notes sounding like open notes? I am dying to get one.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
Really? Can we have some clips of your magic bass that has fretted notes sounding like open notes? I am dying to get one.

I was referring to a zero-fret which makes open notes sound like fretted notes. I assumed that was more desirable, as open notes generally sound crappier.
Quote by isaac_bandits
I was referring to a zero-fret which makes open notes sound like fretted notes. I assumed that was more desirable, as open notes generally sound crappier.

I prefer open notes

more bite

Nothing like a set of fresh Rotos and pounding open D or G
Now say his name.....
i tune my B up to D and tune E down to D...it sounds odd, but it helps if you break a string or need a tone change...
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Quote by aceofbass131
i tune my B up to D and tune E down to D...it sounds odd, but it helps if you break a string or need a tone change...

Yeah, and after tuning that B up to D, you'll probably need that help for a broken string.
Quote by MustangMan311
Yeah, and after tuning that B up to D, you'll probably need that help for a broken string.

I was thinking more like a broken/warped neck
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I was just thinking. If people really need an open D2, for pedalling or tone or whatever reason, why not just tune ADGCF? then all the intervals are the same.
Quote by gilly_90
I was thinking more like a broken/warped neck

what kind of bass do think i use?! a fender, lol....

i use a warwick thumb with steel supports running through the 12th fret and i lower the saddle to compensate for the extra tension. I have never had the (B) string break on me...
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Quote by grifff
From my experience, having an extended range bass allows you to stay in standard tuning. I always keep my 6er standard and just use the third fret of the B string as a low D.

I prefer to tune it ADADG just because using the B string can get a bit akward
Quote by grifff
From my experience, having an extended range bass allows you to stay in standard tuning. I always keep my 6er standard and just use the third fret of the B string as a low D.

As said, for some songs, it is damn near impossible to do that. Especially ones with a pedalled low D.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Im backing up isaac on this one. The only thing that is impossible is pedaling the D. Thats it. Could fingerings be uncomfortable? Maybe. But hes the one playing, not you. So he can play with what ever fingering he wants, no matter how awkward you may think it is. Thats what he prefers. Hes not shoving down your throat to keep the standard tuning, and you should not do the same to him for downtuning
G|----------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|----------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|-------6-5-3-------8-5-6--------------------------------------6-------|
D|-0-0-0-------0-0-0-------0-0-0-8-5-4-7-8-7-10-7-8-0-0-0-4h5p4---0-0-0-|

Here is part of Laid to Rest by LoG. Not a fan personally, and I also have personal dislike of drop tuning. However, if you cannot be bothered to drop the E string and instead try and play that holding down 3rd fret of the low B, you are being an idiot and making it way harder than it needs to be.

I play a 5er myself, so some songs I do transpose for B standard tuning. Other stuff s worth 10 seconds tuning.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Last edited by gm jack at Jun 30, 2009,