I was wondering if it was possible to add a zero fret to a guitar neck that already has a nut. If possible, What would I have to do? What should I use as filler for where the nut previously was? (I thought of adding a metal nut, It wouldn't have as low action as a properly installed zero fret can have)
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jun 27, 2009,
replace the nut with a fret, and have a new nut slot further back.
------

Shwiggity.
Yes, I know that is what I should do, I should have stated earlier my question was what I should use as filler for where the nut previously was.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
A strip of w/e the fretboard wood is would be best.

Protip: Zero-frets are made of a special alloy that is much more resistant to wear than normal frets. They are also taller (you'd be surprised at how many people forget this).

So use stainless steel. That'll last the life of the guitar.
may I throw out my own opinion?

that zero fret is a million dollars worth of work for five bucks of reward. a brass nut would get about the same effect.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Invader Jim
You're right. But maybe s likes how they look?

if that's the case, he can do it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Invader Jim
They are also taller (you'd be surprised at how many people forget this).
Quote by the humanity
may I throw out my own opinion?

that zero fret is a million dollars worth of work for five bucks of reward. a brass nut would get about the same effect.
Anyone mind if I take the opposing point of view?

Converting to a zero-fret is a pain, but building with one in the first place is no chore at all.

And the reward IS great.
It's dead easy to remove the nut and level the frets, including zero, to the exact same height. This gets you the lowest possible action. This is FAR simpler than filing 6 nut slots to the correct depth.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.