I am new to heads and cabs, as i have owned combos my whole bass career. how do you know if a cab with work with a head? or the other way around? can you underpower/overpower a cab/head?

these might sound like stupid questions, but i need to know. lol.

-gary
cabs and heads are rated by wattage and by ohms. it's better to get a cabinet that is rated for all the watts you can afford - more headroom means less chance of blowing your speakers. a 1000 watt head with 2 500 watt cabs isn't a good idea - a 1000 watt head with 2 700 watt cabs is better. i use a 1000 watt head with 1 800 watt cab and a 600 watt cab.

your head will probably be rated for a certain amount of ohms - say 2. as i recall, 2 4-ohm speakers add up to 2 ohms or 4 8-ohm speakers. some heads allow you to switch to different ohm ratings.

your easiest option would be to get a stack that's sold as a unit. this way, you'll know that the head and cabs are matched.
Yes those two should be fine together
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by patticake
a 1000 watt head with 2 500 watt cabs isn't a good idea

Why not? Using cabs rated at exactly what your head puts out is a wonderful idea, actually, but the more important thing to look after is the ohm rating. Plus, you're not gonna have to worry about cranking the amp to the point where the speakers might blow with a 1kW amp, but that's beside the point. Your post is mostly opinion, with other opinions being exactly opposite yours.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Last edited by t3hrav3n at Jun 28, 2009,
opinions may differ from mine - that's fine. my opinion was formed because i've blown out 2 1000-watt cab setups using a 1000 watt head that i never turn past 75%. i'm now a firm believer in headroom.

Quote by t3hrav3n
Why not? Using cabs rated at exactly what your head puts out is a wonderful idea, actually, but the more important thing to look after is the ohm rating. Plus, you're not gonna have to worry about cranking the amp to the point where the speakers might blow with a 1kW amp, but that's beside the point. Your post is mostly opinion, with other opinions being exactly opposite yours.
Quote by patticake
cabs and heads are rated by wattage and by ohms. it's better to get a cabinet that is rated for all the watts you can afford - more headroom means less chance of blowing your speakers. a 1000 watt head with 2 500 watt cabs isn't a good idea - a 1000 watt head with 2 700 watt cabs is better. i use a 1000 watt head with 1 800 watt cab and a 600 watt cab.

your head will probably be rated for a certain amount of ohms - say 2. as i recall, 2 4-ohm speakers add up to 2 ohms or 4 8-ohm speakers. some heads allow you to switch to different ohm ratings.

your easiest option would be to get a stack that's sold as a unit. this way, you'll know that the head and cabs are matched.

wat?

That is ridiculous.

Headroom, yes but that's 2.5 times what you technically need and you're saying it isn't enough
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Jun 28, 2009,
Ok ive been doing some research and im now going to try and explain it, probably very wrongly.

The myth of underpowering cabs is defiantly a myth(i have been provin wrong). When a cab is been tested it is tested with a 6db crest, which is basically, if you have a hundred watt cab theyll test it by pushing 400 watts through it. The only way you can seriously damage a cab og less watts is by heavy heavy clipping and too much bass boost.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
i think i mainly understand it all, but if a head is 250W, how is it distributed through the speaker outputs? is each output capable of having 250W? or is it shared?
the only time i blew anything was i was messin around with my onboard preamp and i boosted the low waaaay up there and blew it out. so i mean dont get a 200 watt head and a 200 watt cab, crank it up to full volume then crank your bass up too. gotta account for the bass electronics! gah haha on the topic in my OPINION i think it sounds the best when you match up perfectly. 100 watt head and a 100 watt cab both at 8 ohms. thats what each is made to put out. and that is what they can handle. just dont go crankin everything to the MAX! haha

and isnt the input shared? crossover and all that jazz, no? cause if you get a 2x10 that can take 200 watts that means each speaker is 100 watts. (i think) googlymoogly help me out here haha
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful