theirs 2 guitars im looking at and trying to score as a grading present ones an Epi SG G400 and ones an Epi Les paul, and i myself like les pauls more but i like both so i wouldnt mind getting which ever ones better lol

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Epiphone-SG-G-400-Electric-Guitar-W0QQAdIdZ138549736 - SG

http://capebreton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Musical-and-Computer-Stuff-CHEAP-W0QQAdIdZ133796614 - Les Paul

please help me... i will get the name of the LP and better pictures
Ugh, I've said this four times today, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THE SG-400.

I'd say get the LP. I hate the G-400. Worst quality guitar I've ever played.
Quote by mamosa
Ugh, I've said this four times today, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THE SG-400.

I'd say get the LP. I hate the G-400. Worst quality guitar I've ever played.

agreed. the esp viper whatever-it-is is a much higher quality sg style guitar around that price. but really, go for the lp
theirs no such thing as G-400? well whatever lol the les paul is better? or did you look at it because this is a guitar im going to have for a long time and i want it to be a descent guitar
No, there's no such thing as the SG-400. It's called the G-400. And if you want to get a good guitar that will last you, what's your budget? Because I'd advise going used.
Quote by mamosa
No, there's no such thing as the SG-400. It's called the G-400. And if you want to get a good guitar that will last you, what's your budget? Because I'd advise going used.

i ment to say G-400 lol.... well that guys selling that les paul for 325 with a case and i was looking at that delay pedal to.... but yeah about 400 is as high as i can prolly go
Quote by TommEnright
I think it really depends on what sound your going for.

well i like slash/clapton/hendrix/angus young but i play more slash and i definitly wouldnt stop all summer with a les paul/new guitar
Quote by Shelbones01
theirs 2 guitars im looking at and trying to score as a grading present ones an Epi SG G400 and ones an Epi Les paul, and i myself like les pauls more but i like both so i wouldnt mind getting which ever ones better lol

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Epiphone-SG-G-400-Electric-Guitar-W0QQAdIdZ138549736 - SG

http://capebreton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Musical-and-Computer-Stuff-CHEAP-W0QQAdIdZ133796614 - Les Paul

He didn't say SG-400, it says SG G400
If you have $400, you can get a lot on the used market. A lot.

So what do you want to play (genre of music)?
Quote by mamosa
If you have $400, you can get a lot on the used market. A lot.

So what do you want to play (genre of music)?

well i kinda want a les paul but i like hard rock or anything that sounds sick on guitar but mostly GN'R
I have a Les Paul Special II. It's pretty good for metal in my opinion.
Dumb people are dumb.
It's a proven fact.
Even stupid people are considered dumb sometimes.
Me? I'm not stupid or dumb.
I'm retarded.
Quote by Shelbones01
well i kinda want a les paul but i like hard rock or anything that sounds sick on guitar but mostly GN'R

oh and some bluesy rock
Quote by Shelbones01

If you are set between these two, get the LP. The Epi SG's are not good quality, and they neck dive like you wouldnt believe. If you want an SG, get a Gibson faded for $700. It doesnt neck dive and is much nicer quality. The Epi LP's are good quality for EPiphone standards.
Quote by FinalCon
I have a Les Paul Special II. It's pretty good for metal in my opinion.

You have a LP Special II. You think it's pretty good for metal. Your opinion ain't worth jack****.

Anyway, TS, for hard rock GNR type stuff, a LP would serve you well. But in your price range, you'd be better served going for an Ibanez (yes I know Slash plays a LP). They make better rock guitars for the price. So a used Ibanez could work for you. But if you could find a decent used Gibson LP Studio or an Epi LP Custom for 400, that could work too.
Quote by mamosa
You have a LP Special II. You think it's pretty good for metal. Your opinion ain't worth jack****.

Anyway, TS, for hard rock GNR type stuff, a LP would serve you well. But in your price range, you'd be better served going for an Ibanez (yes I know Slash plays a LP). They make better rock guitars for the price. So a used Ibanez could work for you. But if you could find a decent used Gibson LP Studio or an Epi LP Custom for 400, that could work too.

thx man... i might have to go with that lp if i cant find any a them around me.... but slash used an ibanez like once lol
^Agreed. An Ibanez SZ320 or similar would be great for that kind of thing. Also maybe look into an LTD although I don't know as much about them.
What's with the hostility above?

Shelbones01, you need to audition both for several hours, through an amp that you plan to buy (since you currently have some MG) over several days. Try out some other models while you're at it. You'll have to live with your eventual choice, etc., so do some due diligence!

i havent played many lps, but my epi sg g400 has a pretty thin neck, where the lps i have played had thicker ones. i prefer the sg. lighter, looks badass. plays great. sounds great

i got mine for 300$ tho
Last edited by SGRocker400 at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by mamosa

Hey, troll, pack you **** up and get the hell out of here. If his opinion ain't worth ****, why should yours?
And as for my, worth-nothing-but-nonetheless-on-topic opinion - check the G400 out. I had one, and really liked it a lot.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
It's just my opinion but I personally think the G-400 is terrible. It just doesn't feel that good and it doesn't sound that good. I have yet to play a single one that has not felt like a toy.

Again, if someone has a G-400 and likes it, then more power to you, but I hate them.

Epi les pauls are ok, I had a darkburst lp standard briefly when I started college to have a cheaper guitar with me at school (but sold it after my first semester to pay for textbooks) It was a decent guitar, the finish was also pretty cheap and plastic-y, the guitar had a horrible, cheesy photo-flame top but it played pretty well, sounded ok (it had a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity in it), a bit different from my les paul studio (a little less oomph and body) but still pretty decent, especially for the price that I paid for it.

For what you play, the LP would be just fine, throw in a set of Duncan PAF-style pickups and it should do the job. You won't get any signature Hendrix sounds but will do the Slash and Clapton thing with ease.
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by al112987
It's just my opinion but I personally think the G-400 is terrible. It just doesn't feel that good and it doesn't sound that good. I have yet to play a single one that has not felt like a toy.

Again, if someone has a G-400 and likes it, then more power to you, but I hate them.

Epi les pauls are ok, I had a darkburst lp standard briefly when I started college to have a cheaper guitar with me at school (but sold it after my first semester to pay for textbooks) It was a decent guitar, the finish was also pretty cheap and plastic-y, the guitar had a horrible, cheesy photo-flame top but it played pretty well, sounded ok (it had a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity in it), a bit different from my les paul studio (a little less oomph and body) but still pretty decent, especially for the price that I paid for it.

For what you play, the LP would be just fine, throw in a set of Duncan PAF-style pickups and it should do the job. You won't get any signature Hendrix sounds but will do the Slash and Clapton thing with ease.

I hate the G-400 too.
It just FEELS like a cheap guitar, I can't put my finger on why, part of it is definitely the finish, but the Epi lp has that same finish and doesn't feel nearly as bad.
Quote by al112987
It just FEELS like a cheap guitar, I can't put my finger on why, part of it is definitely the finish, but the Epi lp has that same finish and doesn't feel nearly as bad.

The frets on the last G-400 sliced my fingers open. I have scars on my fingers. I will never play one again.
And before then I hate them too.
Quote by Ippon
Shelbones01, you need to audition both for several hours, through an amp that you plan to buy (since you currently have some MG) over several days. Try out some other models while you're at it. You'll have to live with your eventual choice, etc., so do some due diligence!

Isn't there a clause in the UG sign up agreement that requires you to start 40 threads asking which guitar/amp/effects pedal you should buy before you're allowed to try them out?
yeah the guy put new strings on it then decided to keep it and **** me over.... so now im geting a new one from musicstop.... maybe
For 400 you can do a lot better than an Epi
Agile 3100 springs to mind. Maybe you can get a Burny or a Tokai. These would also beat Gibson LP special and other cut price models.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

The difference between an epiphone les paul standard or G-400 (essentially the "standard" equivalent of the SG) are minimal. the SG will have more bite and less tonal depth due to the thinner body, and better upper fret access.. which you prefer is a matter of preference as they are built to the same level of quality.

i think that you people who the G-400 feels cheaper need to take into account that it's probably because it's a thinner bodied guitar with a thinner neck joint, so it is going to feel a bit flimsy - but hell, some rickenbackers feel flimsy!

edit: also mamosa, you found a badly fretted G-400. that doesn't mean they'll all suck.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 29, 2009,
i have both and like them, but if i knew better when i bought them i would have gone for a schecter. good schecters run about 400 used.
Quote by mamosa
The frets on the last G-400 sliced my fingers open. I have scars on my fingers. I will never play one again.
And before then I hate them too.

Man, I havent been on this forum long, but I have heard this crybaby story at least 3 times from you. We will all pray for your fingers and hope it never happens again.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab