So I was just at Guitar Center, playing various guitars. I saw a bunch of Ibanez's on a shelf. I picked up some 400 dollar jobs and they seemed to play quite nice (and yes they had an Edge III but it sounded good and it worked perfectly). After playing these models for several minutes I see a Steve Vai signature JEM guitar (the white one that he uses). I pick it up and inspect it, the pickups were like pushed into the guitar, the volume knob didn't work and it felt like a crap guitar. The only thing I liked was the inlays.

On another note, the ESP's are quite nice.
I've tried one, very high class. Inspected it, top to bottom. No problems at all. For me the tone left something to be desired. But i was playing through a fender *can't remember model* amp.

I thought it was a gret, although i'd like a chance to try it with a different anp. Maybe next time, point out the faults. They'll probably repair it and but it back up as a floor model.

~John
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
the floor models are ritualistically beaten after they shut the doors. at least i think so, because some of those guitars are barely nice enough to leave out for people to see.

i've never played a JEM, but with ibanez QC i'm pretty sure that was a pretty abused model OR it's one of the very rare ones that slips through.
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
the floor models are ritualistically beaten after they shut the doors. at least i think so, because some of those guitars are barely nice enough to leave out for people to see.

i've never played a JEM, but with ibanez QC i'm pretty sure that was a pretty abused model OR it's one of the very rare ones that slips through.

probably because the other ibanez's there are perfect
that could be too, if their other floor ibanez's were in good shape it would make an old JEM still look horrible lol

honestly though the JEM is way too expensive for what it offers. ESPECIALLY if it's got problems like that
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
that could be too, if their other floor ibanez's were in good shape it would make an old JEM still look horrible lol

honestly though the JEM is way too expensive for what it offers. ESPECIALLY if it's got problems like that

yea and i noticed the joe satriani guitar next to it like over 1000 cheaper and i couldnt understand why but that joe satriani guitar, DAMN!
ive played them before, and it was orgasmic.

though for $2600, you can get a sweet J custom with better features.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
JEM's are overrated, you're better off getting an RG prestige. Personally I'm not a fan of the inlays, and I hate the handlebar thing, so JEMs are not my thing.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Nothing a screwdriver and soldering will fix. In that condition, you could haggle the price down a bit.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Don't trust floor models. I was looking at a floor ES-335, and it was missing the output jack. It was used, but man guitarcenter. Please check guitars better
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
LOL it's a sig. Of course it's overpriced. But at least it's a better deal than the KH-202 *shudders*
lol my guitar center is like the only one thatbtakes care of it's crap seriously
My Guitars-
ESP LTD EC-1000 (my big papa axe)
Mexican Fender Stratocaster (my blues baby)
Laguna le 122 (hunk of crap)

Amp-
Peavey Vypyr 75

Pedal-
Zakk Wylde Cry Baby
Obviously it was a **** floor model. The JEM is awesome, even if it is a little overpriced, it's still awesome.
i've seen a bunch of floor model guitars that have rusted strings and horrible set ups it doesn't concern me though they're just floor models and usually pre pubescent kids will put their dirty hands all over it pretending to play guitar at obnoxiously loud volumes just to impress their friends and look like a dick to the rest of the store and then rebel when they are told to leave.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
i've seen a bunch of floor model guitars that have rusted strings and horrible set ups it doesn't concern me though they're just floor models and usually pre pubescent kids will put their dirty hands all over it pretending to play guitar at obnoxiously loud volumes just to impress their friends and look like a dick to the rest of the store and then rebel when they are told to leave.

i'm glad i don't have any big guitar shops nearby. i just see no sense in having so many guitars that you can't maintain so you take one of them as a floor model and leave the rest in a storage facility, let people try out the floor model which they abuse the hell out of, then sell them a different guitar to the one they tried.. no wonder companies like gibson which have considerable variation from instrument to instrument regardless of what model it is are getting a bad reputation these days..

i'd rather buy from a small independant shop which is able to maintain all the guitars and check if people are abusing them, where what you see is what you get.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 28, 2009,
thats because loads of peeps have played that jem,

i`m in love with my Jem more than the missus, it`s a amazing instrument. abeit wood and metal. There are plenty of shops that i`ve been in where you can`t even pick up a guitar without your intent to buy being questioned 1st.

i`ve played RG prestige models before and i can tell the difference between them and my jem.

1 of my students has a rg prestige and he can tell the difference when i let him have a go of the jem.

by all the reports i`ve seen on here GC seems to be a major chain that has no respect for it`s products or clients. We have a similar chain in the uk, but that`s why i don`t use them.
Quote by Nick James
So I was just at Guitar Center, playing various guitars. I saw a bunch of Ibanez's on a shelf. I picked up some 400 dollar jobs and they seemed to play quite nice (and yes they had an Edge III but it sounded good and it worked perfectly).

Play it for a few weeks and you won't think it works perfectly, seriously.

After playing these models for several minutes I see a Steve Vai signature JEM guitar (the white one that he uses). I pick it up and inspect it, the pickups were like pushed into the guitar, the volume knob didn't work and it felt like a crap guitar. The only thing I liked was the inlays.

Must be a messed model, and the pickups probably still work, I'm pretty sure screw quality isn't exactly something you need to be questioning, some kids probably messed with it when trying.
And the volume knob didn't work? Balls, unless Ibanez have stopped soldering their guitars it worked.
And you claim that a $400 RG felt great but the JEM which should feel just like a regular RG feels like a crap guitar?

I somehow think you were just picking faults cos it's an expensive guitar.
I don't see why people are always like "oh just get an RG blah blah blah they're the same except the RG doesn't have the retarded grip thingy" (for reference, it's called a monkey grip).

The JEM neck is a different profile from your run-of-the-mill prestige RG, not to mention the body is alder rather than your usual basswood. I have played prestige RGs on a few occasions and the JEM on several and they feel quite different.
I don't think anyone's suggested that, as it's not a thread about buying a JEM
It's a thread about this guy thinkin' JEMs are cheap feeling guitars.