So here's my situation. Right now I'm using a Vox AD15VT hooked up to a Digitech DF-7 Distortion pedal, and they've served me well up to this point. However, I've recently gotten a band together, and we're going to start doing some gigging. Nothing big, just a few open mic nights at a local club and a small charity concert.

Needless to say, my little 15 watt isn't going to cut it anymore. So basically what I'm looking for is an amp for no more than around $600 or $700 that will be powerful enough for gigging (I'd prefer to pay a little less than that, however, more around $400 or $500). Also, I don't really want to have to lug around a half stack, although if that's my only viable option, I can do it. I've looked into the Fender Frontman 212R, but I've heard both good and bad things about it, so I don't really know what to think.

So if anybody could recommend any amps, that would be great, because I really don't know what to look for.
Quote by kurtebirdi
genre, or sounds your goin for?

Yeah sorry, should have put that in the original post.

We mostly do punk covers, like the Misfits, that kind of stuff. Might start writing some of our own music, but we'll definitely stick to the punk genre.
aww... I'm terrible with punk tone, but i think you may like a valveking, it'll do just about anything, or maybe a fender, not the frontman though. A blues junior would work for that assuming you wont use cleans since it has almost no headroom IMO
Quote by kurtebirdi
aww... I'm terrible with punk tone, but i think you may like a valveking, it'll do just about anything, or maybe a fender, not the frontman though. A blues junior would work for that assuming you wont use cleans since it has almost no headroom IMO

I've looked into the ValveKings a little bit. Any recommendations on specific model?

And I've played a Blues Junior before and loved it, but I wasn't sure if it would have enough power?
all the valvekings are the same except the wattage and #of speakers, and the royal 8, which is more of a practice amp. The Blues Junior should have enough power (to be overdriven anyway, not sure about cleans), unless you're playing a woodstock sized gig with airplanes launching 10 feet away
Quote by kurtebirdi
all the valvekings are the same except the wattage and #of speakers, and the royal 8, which is more of a practice amp. The Blues Junior should have enough power (to be overdriven anyway, not sure about cleans), unless you're playing a woodstock sized gig with airplanes launching 10 feet away

Haha alright I'll look into those. Thanks for the help.
Get the 212r (I own and love it) then buy a couple pedals with the extra money =) In fact I actually bought the 5 watt vox not too long ago to practice with and I returned it because it sounded like crap compared to the 212r. (I'm not dissing vox)
You dont need a 212, a 112 will more than suffice, and it doesnt weigh 70 pounds. Valvekings also come highly recommended with a speaker change. A speaker change and EQ pedal make VK's d@mn fine amps.
Quote by ScecterA7xfreak
Get the 212r (I own and love it) then buy a couple pedals with the extra money =) In fact I actually bought the 5 watt vox not too long ago to practice with and I returned it because it sounded like crap compared to the 212r. (I'm not dissing vox)

Yeah it seems like everyone's really split on the 212R. You either love it or hate it. Guess I'll have to try it out myself. Oh, and btw I hate the built in amp models on the AD15VT, other than the clean "Tweed" model (which I believe is supposed to sound like a Bassman). The distortion models are crap. But it sounds great when I use my DF-7.
Quote by stratd00d
Yeah sorry, should have put that in the original post.

We mostly do punk covers, like the Misfits, that kind of stuff. Might start writing some of our own music, but we'll definitely stick to the punk genre.

Peavey CLassic 30
Laney AOR
Peavey VTM....

PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by GuitarDTO
You dont need a 212, a 112 will more than suffice, and it doesnt weigh 70 pounds. Valvekings also come highly recommended with a speaker change. A speaker change and EQ pedal make VK's d@mn fine amps.

Haven't really looked at the 112, I'll have to test it out.
I know nothing about replacing speakers though.
Check out used Marshall JCM 800/900/2000 combos, a used 5150 combo, or a Mesa Mark III combo if you want to push the budget up higher.

I play punk myself, and I know what gear to get for it.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by tmfiore
Check out used Marshall JCM 800/900/2000 combos, a used 5150 combo, or a Mesa Mark III combo if you want to push the budget up higher.

I play punk myself, and I know what gear to get for it.

I'll look into them, thanks.