Page 1 of 3
I very recently decided that I would like to get a neck through body guitar for comfort and increased sustain. I really like the jackson DK2m I have now EXCEPT for the neck as it's a bolt on and has a neck heel that can get in the way and lacks sustain at times. I love the feel and quality of the guitar as well as the sound with the exception of the lack of sustain. I would only be able to spend less than 1000$ on it and I just wanted some suggestions on options for anyone who was up to it. The best choices have been from BC rich so far, Maybe a NJ deluxe series or Assassin. I love the jackson and ESP Edwards neck throughs but I would have to go used for jackson and the ESP Edwards are difficult to get outside of asia. I was also thinking of getting an LTD F2-E and replacing the pickups with blackouts as the only problem isee with the guitar is pickups or it would probably be a 750$ guitar. Anyways any ideas UG? Thanks in advance.

A few examples of guitars I'm looking at:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-F2E-Electric-Guitar?sku=515734#new

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B.C.-Rich-Mockingbird-ST-Electric-Guitar?sku=512696#new

PS. If anyone knows where I could get Jackson Stars or ESP Edwards guitars imported on line please let me know. I only know ebay so far.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Jun 27, 2009,
id would look at carvin guitar...

never tried one but i heard they are amazing.
Quote by BelowZero
you like bass sound. wanna go crazy on stage. and want a "place for a whammy bar"

have you been playing for two weeks?

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
I've heard of a guitar with five colored frets, but they don't play well.
Quote by ModestAxis
id would look at carvin guitar...

never tried one but i heard they are amazing.

Ya very cool guitars but over 1000$ unfortunately. I'll keep an eye on the carvin in stock guitars section though.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
isnt that an alder or poplar body on the dk2m? get mahogany.

a well made bolt on can have as good sustain as a neck thru or a set neck, have you tried ibanez s series? i went from a kelly to s series and its night and day.
cort guitars there great most are under a thou and there neck through design on the x series is great for high soloing plus they come in awsome metallic finishes
"Remember folks, it's all bull****. It's all bull**** and it's bad for ya." ~ George Carlin.
RIP
"The last real man in showbiz"
Quote by Megadave.
isnt that an alder or poplar body on the dk2m? get mahogany.

a well made bolt on can have as good sustain as a neck thru or a set neck, have you tried ibanez s series? i went from a kelly to s series and its night and day.

It's made of alder and yes I have tried the S series and I liked it but theres stil lthe heel and the sustain was good but not as good as some neck throughs I've played.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Morello is god
cort guitars there great most are under a thou and there neck through design on the x series is great for high soloing plus they come in awsome metallic finishes

I will definately take a look shortly. Thanks
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Pac_man0123
You might be able to get a used Soloist, those are neck-through.

Or if you don't want a trem, the C-1 Classic is neck-through.

This is what I am looking for as far as used goes or possibly a used RR5. And I like the schecter but how thick is the neck?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by icaneatcatfood
If you want a neckthru for sustain don't get one with a trem. It will get rid of a lot of it.

Hmm, I see what your saying but I bolt -on guitar with an fr will have less sustain than a neck through guitar with a fr respectively.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
The only reasons neck-thrus have any more sustain than a bolt on is because they are usually made from maple.... They then GLUE on wings. So if you get an all maple bolt-on, it will have more sustain. And it will be cheaper to make, less fragile, and easier to find. You could get a Warmoth maple body, maple neck, etc. Then you win
Quote by mamosa
The only reasons neck-thrus have any more sustain than a bolt on is because they are usually made from maple.... They then GLUE on wings. So if you get an all maple bolt-on, it will have more sustain. And it will be cheaper to make, less fragile, and easier to find. You could get a Warmoth maple body, maple neck, etc. Then you win

I see what your saying. How does a set-thru neck compare to a neck thru neck?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666

You get the same fret access with less fragility. The sustain difference is negligible. But I'd say if you want sustain, go to Warmoth and get a maple body, maple neck and bolt that **** up. Plus, if you want a guitar that's good and will last for a long time, Warmoth is the place.
Quote by Slanderous666

They offer pretty much the same amount of access, but the set-thru is a set neck obviously

Some people think that set necks aren't as good because the glue prevents transfer but really the 3 types of necks will have almost the exact same amount of sustain if they are of the same quality.

Actually, apparently a test was done and a high-quality bolt-on neck has slightly more sustain than a high-quality neck-through. That being said, the difference is so miniscule that the human ear can't discern the difference in sustain length.
Quote by mamosa
You get the same fret access with less fragility. The sustain difference is negligible. But I'd say if you want sustain, go to Warmoth and get a maple body, maple neck and bolt that **** up. Plus, if you want a guitar that's good and will last for a long time, Warmoth is the place.

So a set thru would give me the fret access I desire as well as the sustain? I guess the FR is what is killing my sustain possibly.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by mamosa
I still say a Warmoth bolt-on will give you everything you need, but

The jackson I have has an maple neck, maple freatboard, maple vaneer and alder body and I dislike the neck joint. :P
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Warmoth neck joints are better. Plus, alder body, maple neck won't give you what you want. Alder sustains poorly.
Quote by mamosa
Warmoth neck joints are better. Plus, alder body, maple neck won't give you what you want. Alder sustains poorly.

True I'm just concerned with the electromics side of things because I don't believe you can get a body wit the pots and pups, etc installed.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
It won't be too hard to do yourself, and you can always get a local luthier/tech to do it for you. In the end it will be worth it. And I may be wrong, but I think it is possible to get the electronics and the pups installed in the body....
Quote by mamosa
It won't be too hard to do yourself, and you can always get a local luthier/tech to do it for you. In the end it will be worth it. And I may be wrong, but I think it is possible to get the electronics and the pups installed in the body....

Thats true, I hope they can still do the electronics for me though. One other question. With so much maple wouldnt the guitar have more treble than it knows what to do with? Also would a mahogany guitar be better for a metal sound?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Thats true, I hope they can still do the electronics for me though. One other question. With so much maple wouldnt the guitar have more treble than it knows what to do with? Also would a mahogany guitar be better for a metal sound?

All the maple would be bright as ****. So you would need a rosewood fingerboard to try and balance it out. Mahogany would be better and would give you plenty of sustain, but not as much as hard maple. I'd say a mahogany body with a maple neck and a maple/rosewood/ebony/ziricote fretboard would do nicely, if it's an AANJ.
Quote by mamosa
All the maple would be bright as ****. So you would need a rosewood fingerboard to try and balance it out. Mahogany would be better and would give you plenty of sustain, but not as much as hard maple. I'd say a mahogany body with a maple neck and a maple/rosewood/ebony/ziricote fretboard would do nicely, if it's an AANJ.

I'm thinking either an explorer or V body, mahogany with a maple top, maple neck with an ebony fretboard (half scalloped). I suppose any sort of tremolo would devastate the sustain. This or just buying a LTD :P
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
I'm thinking either an explorer or V body, mahogany with a maple top, maple neck with an ebony fretboard (half scalloped). I suppose any sort of tremolo would devastate the sustain. This or just buying a LTD :P

Not necessarily... FRs don't kill sustain nearly as much as people say. That said, I think your best bet would be a maple body, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard (half scalloped) and you could try a trem. You realize you could also buy a PRS Vintage trem? Amazing trem, never goes out of tune, assuming you also buy Phase II locking tuners (best ones that I've tried). It would be unorthodox, but unique and worth a try!
Quote by mamosa
Not necessarily... FRs don't kill sustain nearly as much as people say. That said, I think your best bet would be a maple body, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard (half scalloped) and you could try a trem. You realize you could also buy a PRS Vintage trem? Amazing trem, never goes out of tune, assuming you also buy Phase II locking tuners (best ones that I've tried). It would be unorthodox, but unique and worth a try!

Btw, do you have a warmoth guitar?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Btw, do you have a warmoth guitar?

Nope. I lack the capital. But I've played 2 and heard wondrous tales of their epicness.
Quote by mamosa
Nope. I lack the capital. But I've played 2 and heard wondrous tales of their epicness.

The only problem I see is that you need to assemble the hardware and I fear I won't be able to do as good a job on it as a pre made guitar will be done with.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
The only problem I see is that you need to assemble the hardware and I fear I won't be able to do as good a job on it as a pre made guitar will be done with.

eh it's just a case of measuring twice, cut once. except instead of cutting you're screwing just do a trial fit (put everything on but don't screw anything in) and make sure everything seems tight and that there are no problems with anything and then do all the screwing. if you take your time i can't see how you can **** up the guitar to the point that it's all in pieces.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
eh it's just a case of measuring twice, cut once. except instead of cutting you're screwing just do a trial fit (put everything on but don't screw anything in) and make sure everything seems tight and that there are no problems with anything and then do all the screwing. if you take your time i can't see how you can **** up the guitar to the point that it's all in pieces.

AHEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28apXxws2ak&feature=related
Quote by azn_guitarist25
what can you expect when you get cheap chinese parts and use teeth as your router? that's more so of a luthier problem rather then putting all the parts together problem. that and the guy that made it is a wanker

Does he live in Australia? Can you egg his house or something?
Quote by mamosa
Does he live in Australia? Can you egg his house or something?

yes he does unfortunately i can't since he lives on the other side of australia so my arm would have to be extremely powerful and the egg would need to be able to sustain extreme speeds without cracking.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
yes he does unfortunately i can't since he lives on the other side of australia so my arm would have to be extremely powerful and the egg would need to be able to sustain extreme speeds without cracking.

I'd fly to the other side of australia and burn his house down.

Blame it on some grass spontaneously combusting and his cheap wood being extremely flammable.
Quote by Pac_man0123
I'd fly to the other side of australia and burn his house down.

Blame it on some grass spontaneously combusting and his cheap wood being extremely flammable.

well his house address is freely available on the internet...one of the downfalls of running a store from your house i guess and by store i don't mean the luthier shop running on his back porch
Quote by azn_guitarist25
well his house address is freely available on the internet...one of the downfalls of running a store from your house i guess and by store i don't mean the luthier shop running on his back porch

His porch is where he gets his hi quality woods from!
Quote by 1nSingularity
Ibanez RGA42 is nice, and has neck through. If you can stand active pups though

aren't they bolt on?
Page 1 of 3