Well, not really frightening, but anyways...
I was messing around with my strat's trem bridge, when I took off all the saddles and found three screws which I removed. The end result:

So then I started thinking that it could be used as a hardtail if it were screwed down in the areas where I put white circles.

That would basically make a hardtail bridge wouldn't it? I realize it's probably not worth the trouble when you could just block the trem, but if you had this thing lying around and you needed a hardtail, this could probably work, amirite?
It's been done before. And you don't even need to make new holes, if you use all the existing hole, it will work fine.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by metalwarrior40
It's been done before. And you don't even need to make new holes, if you use all the existing hole, it will work fine.

yep, thats exactly what i did with my guitar. I think he's saying you need to make new holes though if you're using the existing body because otherwise there is a big hole where those 3 bigger ones go (obviously from the trem route).
meh, i blocked mine out, so i didnt have to worry about it. I did the same thing when converting from trem to hardtail.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
I did it recently I had 2 vintage trems laying around. I used the existing 3 big screw holes and cut off the front where the original 6 screws were. Cheap and not the best looking but its for a squire build.
Quote by Tackleberry
I did it recently I had 2 vintage trems laying around. I used the existing 3 big screw holes and cut off the front where the original 6 screws were. Cheap and not the best looking but its for a squire build.

not the best looking, not to mention the tuning and intonation issues...
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

What tuning and intonation issues? The bridge is in the exact place it was before except now it doesnt have the trem block in it, its screwed down solid to the body like any other fender hard tail bridge. Using a dremel and a little time it doesnt look much different than the factory hard tail bridge.