I've been working on Cliffs of Dover.
During the intro, the last two notes are supposed to be pinch harmonics of string 2, fret 18. I can usually get a small whistle out of the amp, but I can't get the squeal that pinch harmonics are supposed to produce. I've tried a variety of frets on multiple strings, but I only get whistles out of them.
I am using a Johnson Vintage 50 amp and a Fender Stratocaster. Either the amp or the chord leading from the guitar to the amp (on an unrelated note, what is the technical name for that) seems old to me, because the highest string is a lot quieter than the others - even if I'm not trying to do pinches on it.
The amp has knobs for overdrive, level, bass, middle, and tremolo. As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), overdive adds gain, level is sort of like a master volume knob, bass amplifies the bottom string/strings, middle amplifies the middle two strings and tremolo amplifies the top two. Don't standard amps nowadays come with more effects than this?
I heard somewhere that if an amp has a gain knob, it adds distortion. So shouldn't my overdrive knob add distortion? Before I saw this amp, I thought there were actual distortion knobs on standard amps.
According to tutorials I have gone through, a high amount of distortion should make it much easier to play pinch harmonics, but this hasn't been the case for me.
I guess what I'm trying to ask is, am I able to play pinch harmonics on my amp, and if so, how?
Thanks for replies.
usually strats have pretty high ction and it may be harder for you to get the pinch off with that.
Hey!Everyone!
Come and See how good I look!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar
Quote by mr gOiD
usually strats have pretty high ction and it may be harder for you to get the pinch off with that.

What is 'ction'?
Quote by gradinafrica
What is 'ction'?

typo for "action" which is the distance from the strings to the fretboard.

the drive knob will add gain to your tone, so it will give you a more distorted sound
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)

this, but cranking up the overdrive should make it sound soooo much better
if you know someone else who can do them, get them to take 5 mins and teach you how to do them, cause its annoying as hell to figure them out on your own
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
the cord is called a guitar lead.
"I will endure, hide away...

I would outrun the scythe, glaring with failure"

Opeth - April Ethereal
work on your technique a bit. make sure you have your pickup switch on the bridge pickup, which will make the pinch harmonics more clearer and louder.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Sorry i meant Action. But yeah the lead guitarist in the band i sing and play rhythm in has to switch guitar from his strat to play a couple southern rock songs to use a slide becuz of the high action. I recently raised my action de to fret buzz and i am finding it harder to do pinch harmonics
Hey!Everyone!
Come and See how good I look!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar
it not sure if it's really adding distortion. every time I crank up the drive knob, the amp starts hissing louder than a wounded cat.
Quote by gradinafrica
it not sure if it's really adding distortion. every time I crank up the drive knob, the amp starts hissing louder than a wounded cat.

that because your strat has single coil pickups. they don't cancel out the hum produced from the gain.

try having 2 of the pickups on. that should usually cancel out the hum.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
how do I do that?
sorry, I've been playing acoustic for a while, but I jt started electric a couple of days ago.
a strat with 3 pickups usually has a 5 way switch. leave it in the 4 or 2 position.

it goes like this

1.Neck
2.Neck-Middle
3.Middle
4.Middle-Bridge
5.Bridge

have your switch inthe 2nd or 4th position to cancel out the hum
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
There's a little knob that controls which pickup is selected. To the right is your bridge pickup, and to the left is the neck pickup (when looking down at the guitar in your lap, assuming you're right-handed). Switch that knob to the middle, pointing straight out away from you. That'll activate both pickups.
ummm no. Bass, mid and TREBLE, not tremolo. each one boosts or cuts (adds or takes away) certain frequency's the amp puts out. they might impact your volume if used too dramtically, but shouldnt change the volume for any particular string on its own.
stratocasters aren't very easy to get pinch harmonics on. Turn your gain up more and try to pick the string right above the neck pick up. That is a good spot for trying to get pinch harmonics.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
I fixed it.
I turned the overdrive all the way up, put level on about 4%, and turned the output volume for the guitar all the way up. Then I put the little level on position 4. But mine is a little broken, so if I take my hand off of it the buzzing is on again off again.
I'm still not sure what the two other knobs on the guitar itself (besides the volume) do. And why can't have a high level overdrive with much level? What does the level do?
I'd actually advise practicing them without any distortion or overdrive at all - if you can play them clean, overdriven will be a breeze on any guitar.

Also remember that each harmonic will sound clearly only when you're doing the pinch at the specific harmonic nodes for whatever note you're playing. Randomly doing it anywhere along the string won't produce a very strong harmonic if it does at all, so that could be part of the problem.
Simple question - do you know WHERE to pick to get that pinch? Eric does. If you don't, watch harmonic vids on my youtube. You're aiming for an octave up - ie, the euqivalent of the 30th fret. I can get em unplugged on my electric, loud and clear.
sorry but there's something that really bugged be about 1st post. I know where you're coming from when you say that bass knob raises volume of top strings mid knob raises middle strings etc but what it's doing is raising those frequencies, not the strings themselves. Because those strings relate to those particular frequency ranges is does appear to make them louder but that is really not correct.

What it does is raise (or lower) the volume in that frequency range so strings in that range appear louder.

haha sorry about that little rant :P
well it depends on how good one can pinch, i can get a squeal rivaling that of my schecter or LP on my old squeir strat, a FREAKING SQUEIR! and beserker, good advice...pinches just take practice
Quote by Freepower
Simple question - do you know WHERE to pick to get that pinch? Eric does. If you don't, watch harmonic vids on my youtube. You're aiming for an octave up - ie, the euqivalent of the 30th fret. I can get em unplugged on my electric, loud and clear.

This exactly. There are sweet spots on a guitar that basically when you pinch there, you get SQUEALING pinches. If you're picking in the wrong spot, you won't get the correct sound.

I would say where it is on my Omen, but that's a dual humbucker so it wouldn't help you out. xD
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Quote by Freepower

best way to tell if you're doing them right in my opinion. I've even been able to do them
on an acoustic. Paul Gilbert has a pretty good explanation on how to do them up on youtube.
^yeah, it's really the only way to do them - there will be no harmonic at all if you miss the node entirely, and only a very weak one if you're a little off. But don't forget that there are 3 or 4 usable nodes other than the octave ones, for higher pitched squeals.