Well I know how to real bass clef for CELLO for all you people out there that will critizize me, but whats the best way to learn the notes on the staff for the bass guitar? or even guitar, just the best and eaisest way to learn the notes.
You've gotta be who you are,
and don't be what you're not.
If you want to be of the world,
then you can't be of God.
since you're already familiar with notation and the language of music, all i'd suggest is practice. you'll get the hang of it after awhile.
through a guitar teacher.
"I will endure, hide away...

I would outrun the scythe, glaring with failure"

Opeth - April Ethereal
Bass is in bass clef, and the notes don't change because you switch instruments.

As for learning treble clef, the best way to go about it is take a note you know in bass clef and figure out what it is in treble, and then go from there. So like, you know that second line is B in bass clef. In treble clef, 3rd line is B. Pretty much the formula is you move the note up a line/space and its the same thing. So G would be second line in stead of first, F would be first space instead of being right below the staff, etc, etc.

Edit: Why would we criticize you for playing cello? Its just as legit of an instrument as a guitar. God, I hate instrument superiority battles.
"I love music, it's not like math. In music, 2+2 can equal 5, if it's a pretty enough 5." -Samuel R. Hazo

"Alle menschen werden bruder- all men become brothers"
-Ludwig Van Beethoven, from his 9th Symphony.

-John
Last edited by jslick07 at Jun 27, 2009,
Quote by jslick07
Bass is in bass clef, and the notes don't change because you switch instruments.

As for learning treble clef, the best way to go about it is take a note you know in bass clef and figure out what it is in treble, and then go from there. So like, you know that second line is B in bass clef. In treble clef, 3rd line is B. Pretty much the formula is you move the note up a line/space and its the same thing. So G would be second line in stead of first, F would be first space instead of being right below the staff, etc, etc.

Edit: Why would we criticize you for playing cello? Its just as legit of an instrument as a guitar. God, I hate instrument superiority battles.

Not for playing cello, for not being able to read the notes on a bass guitar. I guess my question is more like... How do I learn the notes on the neck itself.
You've gotta be who you are,
and don't be what you're not.
If you want to be of the world,
then you can't be of God.
For Guitar/Bass Guitar, once you've learned a decent amount of notes on the fretboard, move on to Guitar Pro tabs (not Power Tab) - if you don't have Guitar Pro, a program called TuxGuitar opens up Guitar Pro files. Hide the tablature and learn the song/solo/riff with just the sheet music notes.

I did it and I'm getting better at it - I personally think it's the best way to get better at reading sheet music for guitar/bass guitar, as Tab books have the sheet music but also have the distracting tablature.

But for learning the fretboard, it's a good idea to get key areas first, like how the fifth fret is the same note as the following string, the seventh fret is an octave above the previous string, etc... the twelfth frets are an octave above the open string, stuff like that. Then use the sheet music and pay attention to what notes are what - like, this fret here on that string is a C, etc, stuff like that.
Last edited by Shoj_ at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by Lemurs4mangos
Not for playing cello, for not being able to read the notes on a bass guitar. I guess my question is more like... How do I learn the notes on the neck itself.

I answered this for you. Practice. There isn't some secret incantation we can give you that will allow you to know all the notes on the fret board. Just learn your way up the strings, use your knowledge of octaves to help you, know that 7th fret is an octave from the string before it, etc.
Compose every day. Treble clef for guitar, and bass clef for the bass guitar. You'll come to a point where it's second nature to notate things musically.
Play a note on the cello, find the note you played on the cello on your bass. Remember it has to be on the same octave. Now since you know what note you played on the cello is on notation, you also know what it is on the bass guitar.
Well, the only difference is that the bass is usually written 8va of what is sounding. So if a Bb 3 is written, Bb2 sounds. So really, find the note you played on the cello, and then find that note down an octave on the bass, and it'll be the same note notationally.
"I love music, it's not like math. In music, 2+2 can equal 5, if it's a pretty enough 5." -Samuel R. Hazo

"Alle menschen werden bruder- all men become brothers"
-Ludwig Van Beethoven, from his 9th Symphony.

-John
Recommended threads
pull offs
havana_Affair19
Last post:
by kirbyrocknroll
Suggestions
Love_Me
Last post:
by d_byrne23