I'm looking to get a new amp, i currently have a Fender Frontman 15G which i got with my guitar when i first started playing. my friends and i are going to start up a band so i figured it would be a good time to get a new amp. My price range is about $300-$450. i havent really bought enough gear to say that i know what im looking for so does anybody have any suggestions on an amp for around that price range that i can play on by myself and with band mates? i primarily play Metal but i play anything from Classic Rock to Nu-metal like Led Zeppelin to Slipknot, but my main goal would be the Metal side of that. and if you dont know of any amps specifically, what brands are generaly of good quality around that price range. Like i said this is my first time looking to buy a new amp so if there are also better questions to ask or any other aspects that can help please fill me in. thanks in advance!
tube amp or would you settle for modeling

in terms of modeling get a vypyr
if you want tubes theres a huge range from which to choose from
but ive heard good things about bugera, blackstar, orange tiny terror, crate, those might be some good choices

if youre looking for brands than peavey makes real good amps from what ive tested and ad very decent prices
Last edited by glam rocker at Jun 27, 2009,
I would venture 50% of the threads here on "UG guitar gear" address your question. Go read some of them.
if possible, you should get a tube amp. most modelling amps you end up replacing anyway. but i guess the vypyr's are pretty good. if you go with a vypyr, then try this one.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp?sku=482912#new

good luck.
"If A is a success in life, then A equals x + y + z. Work = x; y = play; and z = keeping your mouth shut."
--Einstein

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
--Einstein
I was the sole the owner of a Frontman 15g (I KNOW YOUR PAIN) not even 3 hours ago lol, but I have been planning on getting a Peavey Vypyr 75w, and I just picked one up. After tweaking it, I can say it sounds fantastic, and has a wide range of effects and sounds. I play almost every type of rock, but I think this amp leans towards the classic sound than the metal sound that I prefer, but there is still plenty of metal in it.

Also, its VERY loud, if your starting a band it be perfect.
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
Quote by glam rocker
tube amp or would you settle for modeling

in terms of modeling get a vypyr
if you want tubes theres a huge range from which to choose from
but ive heard good things about bugera, blackstar, orange tiny terror, crate, those might be some good choices

if youre looking for brands than peavey makes real good amps from what ive tested and ad very decent prices

The Vyper would be a great choice.
If you're looking at tube, the blackstar HT-5 won't be loud enough, The Tiny Terror is too expensive, but you might want to look into a bugera.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046#new

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by JKMV11
if possible, you should get a tube amp. most modelling amps you end up replacing anyway. but i guess the vypyr's are pretty good. if you go with a vypyr, then try this one.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp?sku=482912#new

good luck.

he's right...you should get a tube amp...you will like ur modelling amp at first but you would want more eventually

i was in ur exact situation
i had a crap 15 watt and i wanted to start a band
yesterday i got a peavey classic 30
i got mine for 250 dollars used
its an AWESOME amp!!!!

you can pick it up for 300 used...and spend another hundred on a really good distortion pedal
and then u still have 50 bucks

or...the peavey valveking 112 is about 450 new
its does metal great, but the classic 30 is overall better imo...

but ya...peavey makes great amps at good prices
Sweet you guys thanks alot for your input ill have to check out all of your different reccomendations although it seems most of you are leaning towards a Peavy. I do know that ive generally heard that tube amps sound better but again im on a budget and i'll have to see about that. thanks again