how would the gibson 500t/496r combo work in a epi les paul for hard rock, alternative, and a small bit of metal?

just curious.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
yeas. but you can get better stuff IMO. actually, whats your amp?

EDIT: ok, you have a good amp.
now, it will work, but those are rpetty average PU's IMO. you can get some better duncans or dimarzios. but pickups sound different to anyone, so you could like them or not. For me, the duncans in my jackson are better.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by ldnovelo
yeas. but you can get better stuff IMO. actually, whats your amp?

EDIT: ok, you have a good amp.
now, it will work, but those are rpetty average PU's IMO. you can get some better duncans or dimarzios. but pickups sound different to anyone, so you could like them or not. For me, the duncans in my jackson are better.

Thanks for the reply, I'm just weighing options, I'd like to get an les paul and put in different pups, or buy one with upgraded pups, something like that.

What duncans does your Jackson have?
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
IMHO the best Dimarzio for the bridge position would be the Norton. There is something just special about this pickup in les paul type guitars. For the neck it all depends on what kind of tone you want. Dimarzio PAF Pro is a solid pup as well as a Duncan 59
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by JLT73
IMHO the best Dimarzio for the bridge position would be the Norton. There is something just special about this pickup in les paul type guitars. For the neck it all depends on what kind of tone you want. Dimarzio PAF Pro is a solid pup as well as a Duncan 59

I'm probably looking for mainly cleans in the neck, and why is the norton good in les pauls?

Also the difference between norton's and air norton's?
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by JLT73

yeah, i like the PAF. I haven't tried the norton but i have Super DIst/PAF in a guitar similar to a LP (two HB's/fixed bridge/22 frets/mahogany body, but double cut and flat top, with a more strat-ish body), and it sounds great.
I have JB/59 on my jackson kelly. I compared them to gibsons because i took my guitar to thge shop to try a marshall JCM 2000. I saw the gibson and gave it a try, and i liked the sound of the kelly better, even with all the f*cking wood on the gibson and the hole for the FR on my kelly, so something tells me if was the PU's. Plus, the JB had more output than the one on the gibson's bridge, and the 59 sounded much better than the muddy gibson neck PU.

I can't tell how the gibsons compare to the dimarzios, but i like those too, and i think they would suit you better. i dont play the guitar with DZ's too much because it needs a lot of work [new fretwire, new pots (they are f*cked), new bridge (i broke a saddle), and a new nut]. i have never actually taken care of it, but it sounds good.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Jun 28, 2009,
I have a Rockfield SVW pair in my Epi, and let me just say it rocks!
Somewhat PAF-like, but with a little more grind. Not exactly metal pups but they are clear and articulate. I think they are as good as those Gibby pups but at $50 per pup. Worth checking out.
Quote by acdclandon
I'm probably looking for mainly cleans in the neck, and why is the norton good in les pauls?

Also the difference between norton's and air norton's?

Then if you're going Dimarzio stick a Norton in the bridge and a Humbucker from Hell in the neck...of course the Norton is different to the Air Norton, that's why they have different names

The Norton is just voiced in such a way that it suits hefty mahogany bodied guitars, ity has a modern edge to the sound but it's still fairly open, very responsive and extremely versatile. The Breed, for example, is a great pickup but it's going to be a bit too overpoweringly fat and warm in a naturally warm guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Then if you're going Dimarzio stick a Norton in the bridge and a Humbucker from Hell in the neck...of course the Norton is different to the Air Norton, that's why they have different names

The Norton is just voiced in such a way that it suits hefty mahogany bodied guitars, ity has a modern edge to the sound but it's still fairly open, very responsive and extremely versatile. The Breed, for example, is a great pickup but it's going to be a bit too overpoweringly fat and warm in a naturally warm guitar.

Thanks for explaining before I could get back!
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by JLT73
Thanks for explaining before I could get back!

gotta keep the Norton love going
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com