I'm currently in a bit of a genre-switch in terms of my guitar playing focus, and being that I use to focus mostly on death/black metal guitar playing (a bit too much I must admit) I have yet to explore many guitar sounds and effects beyond the overdrive channel of my Mesa Boogie. I've been looking into trying out some guitar effects and putting together some sort of pedalboard (possibly something extensive in the future). A buddy of mine mentioned a couple of pedals I might want to consider starting at, but failed to go much into detail.

One of the pedals he mentioned was a Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere. I've been trying to do some research on the thing, but I'm severely failing to wrap my mind around what exactly it is/does. If someone could explain to me what exactly this pedal is it would be a huge help.

Many thanks for any help as well as apologies for sounding a bit noobish.
Ryan
It's a rotary pedal... youtube it if you want to hear it.

Edit: Not to sound like an ass... I just don't want to type it out.
Last edited by ChrisBW at Jun 28, 2009,
Lol, fair enough. I had checked out YouTube and listened to it while someone played a little Pink Floyd prior to posting. It seemed like his tone was a bit reverby/chorusy...is that pretty much the kind of effect a rotary pedal produces then?

(sorry again, my knowledge of guitar effects/pedals is very minimal.)
No, it simulates the sound of a Leslie (rotating speaker). Look up videos of a Leslie or rotating speaker to see what it will sound like.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Yeah.. I would recommend a somewhat cheap mutli effects pedal. I know Line 6 and Digitech have a couple that aren't very expensive... But just get one of those to try out everything instead of buying a bunch of individual pedals you might not like so much in the long run.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
No, it simulates the sound of a Leslie (rotating speaker). Look up videos of a Leslie or rotating speaker to see what it will sound like.

That was immensely helpful...many thanks!

Quote by ChrisBW
Yeah.. I would recommend a somewhat cheap mutli effects pedal. I know Line 6 and Digitech have a couple that aren't very expensive... But just get one of those to try out everything instead of buying a bunch of individual pedals you might not like so much in the long run.

I did consider that, and it's a good idea by all means, but I've been in cahoots with plenty of musicians who use them and also a number of musicians who have built a nice pedalboards full of stuff that compliments their playing....the multieffects pedals are one of the few things I ever dove into effect-wise (thanks to a lot of these aforementioned generous friends willing to let me toy with their gear) and they are very entertaining, but often times don't seem to sound of very high quality. The few people i've known with a nice pedalboard (granted the amps/guitar they run through are high quality as well) always seem to make some really amazing and bizarre noise come out of their cabs, and I'd really like to be able to do some of the same stuff as well eventually.
Yes, if you intend to get a good pedalboard going, do not go the multi effects route. Mulit effects are like the cheaper, worse sibling of rack effects units.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.