i have been playing for about a year and a half now... and pretty good at guitar, soloing and stuff. one thing i know im not sure how to do is... when you hold a note out, it turns into a squeal. how do you do that? i know for sure it is used in "Hearts Burst Into Fire" by Bullet For My Valentine when he is going from the intro solo into the song. help is appreciated.
I think you mite be talking about feedback but im not sure. Do you mean that when you just leave a note going eventually itt will become an annoying high pitched squeel?
Hey!Everyone!
Come and See how good I look!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar
I don't know what song it is you're talking about, but I'm guess it's feedback? It's not a technique, you get it when you crank a tube amp. You'll also get it from solid state, but tube feedback tends to be more musical, while solid state is usually VERY harsh.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
I would assume that it's feedback.
turn your volume up alot and hold your guitar right up to the amplifier facing it.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
yeah, i guess i do mean feedback but how would i go about doing it really? i have a marshall 35 watt i think..
i use my palm to hit the strings so they kind of ring. It brings feedback quickly.
Hey!Everyone!
Come and See how good I look!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar
If you want feedback, max out gain/ overdrive, turn the volume up and put your guitar facing the amp, close to it. I have a 15 watt Marshall MG and can get tonnes of feedback like this, at about 1/4 of the volume
Quote by dial-a-death
If you want feedback, max out gain/ overdrive, turn the volume up and put your guitar facing the amp, close to it. I have a 15 watt Marshall MG and can get tonnes of feedback like this, at about 1/4 of the volume

and your trying to give tonal advice?...
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master
and your trying to give tonal advice?...

no... hes talking about feedback...

you = fail
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
Music Man Has A Version That Sounds Awsome Look Him Up On Youtube And Go TO His Website
lol hes talking about squealies where you basically strum the string than very slightly tap it with your thumb sideways while bending the string.
Quote by crucifiedknot
lol hes talking about squealies where you basically strum the string than very slightly tap it with your thumb sideways while bending the string.

No he's not. He's talking about feedback, just like the part of the song he mentioned.

It helps if you put your guitar close to the amp's speaker and give it vibrato.