I'm a real newb when it comes to amps, and I'm thinking of upgrading from my shitty practice amp so I'm looking for some help.

1. Is there a large difference in sound between valve and solid state? Which will hold a tone more strongly at a low volume?
2. What is pre-amp?
3. What are channels? Are they exclusive to only one type of amp? (Tube/solid)
4. As far as a new amp is concerned, I'm looking at something of about 30W, budget at about $300-700. As far as tone goes, I'm a fan of John Petrucci's, Steve vai's sort of tone, but I also like cleans a lot (I.e Between the buried and me, opeth).
5. What are some reputable brands?

[ For guitar, I've a HSS Strat, and I'm upgrading to an Ibanez RG when I get the money.]

Be nice
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Last edited by titsmcgee852 at Jun 28, 2009,
Well, sadly you picked 2 of the most expensive tones out there to want.

It's okay, I picked those 2 as well...

JP has a good 20000$ worth of crap, and the cheapest way to approximate it is an axe-fx.

If you wantmore steve vai'ish, then look into a cheap tube amp, a nice delay, and a keeley modded DS-1.
Well. Not specifically JP or SV, but something along those lines or near to.
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
Quote by titsmcgee852
I'm a real newb when it comes to amps, and I'm thinking of upgrading from my shitty practice amp so I'm looking for some help.

1. Is there a large difference in sound between valve and solid state? Which will hold a tone more strongly at a low volume?
2. What is pre-amp?
3. What are channels? Are they exclusive to only one type of amp? (Tube/solid)
4. As far as a new amp is concerned, I'm looking at something of about 30W, budget at about $300-700. As far as tone goes, I'm a fan of John Petrucci's, Steve vai's sort of tone, but I also like cleans a lot (I.e Between the buried and me, opeth).
5. What are some reputable brands?

[ For guitar, I've a HSS Strat, and I'm upgrading to an Ibanez RG when I get the money.]

Be nice

1. Solid State amps tend to sound better at lower volumes, but Tube amp are generally better, but if you can't crank one than maybe solid state is the way to go.
2. Pre-amps are sold separately in rack form but are just a part of the inside of the amp from what I know. You can buy pre amps and power amps separately to mix and match your tone.
3. Channels span across tube and solid state amps. They are just your general different sounds of the amp. Many amps will have a clean channel for clean sounds and a distortion channel for your distorted tones. Their are also 3, 4, and maybe even 5 channel amps out there, their really their for versatility.
4. Off the top of my head a Peavey Vypyr would work for a bedroom situation.
5. Brands are a little too generalized, many people agree most modern marshalls are junk for the huge price, yet their old amps are some of the best so its hard to call them the best or the worst.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
1. Solid State amps tend to sound better at lower volumes, but Tube amp are generally better, but if you can't crank one than maybe solid state is the way to go.
2. Pre-amps are sold separately in rack form but are just a part of the inside of the amp from what I know. You can buy pre amps and power amps separately to mix and match your tone.
3. Channels span across tube and solid state amps. They are just your general different sounds of the amp. Many amps will have a clean channel for clean sounds and a distortion channel for your distorted tones. Their are also 3, 4, and maybe even 5 channel amps out there, their really their for versatility.
4. Off the top of my head a Peavey Vypyr would work for a bedroom situation.
5. Brands are a little too generalized, many people agree most modern marshalls are junk for the huge price, yet their old amps are some of the best so its hard to call them the best or the worst.

Pretty much this. Heres what i have to add-
1. Yah he pretty much said it, unless you want a low-watt tube amp, such as a Blackstar HT-5. TTube amps definitely sound better than solid state otherwise.
2. You don't need to worry about pre-amps yet.
3. Yep, nothing else to add
4. The Peavey Vyper would be a great modeling amp. A modeling amp has tons of built in effects, but they may not be as good as pedals. If your budget is up to $700 here are my ideas
Low Wattage (if you dont gig)
-Blackstar HT-5 and an Overdrive pedal
-Peavey Vyper 15
-Vox Night Train and a cab
-Egnater Rebel 20 (might be a bit expensive)

If you want to gig, I can put together another list of higher powered amps. If you want true help, as WTF or MatrixClaw or someone else smart.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Ok, so the peavy will be my best bet then?

Has anyone here had experience with one?
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.
i dont like vypyrs much, still very digital sounding.

i second the recommendation for a HT-5, and also would like to throw the words Epiphone, Valve, Junior and Blackheart, Little, Giant into the mix too.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

actually, on second thought,

if you have to keep your volume low, a Blackheart Killer ant halfstack might be for you.

Killer ant Head: 0.75 watts, uses a preamp tube in the power section to give this wattage, has the same controls as the valve junior and modded killer ants show up everywhere.

killer ant cab: specially designed Eminence 10" speaker.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

I've played through a Peavey Vypyr 30w as my cousin has one and it's a great amp. The only other one I'd consider is the Vox VT30, which is also very good indeed.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Have a look for some of the old solid state amps (late 80's,early 90's).
In Australia these amps go VERY cheap,but they can have a great tone.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Don't know the term for them, but I don't want to have to buy a cab and a head, just the full thing. I've heard alot of praise about Vox-s as well. Are they that good?
The will be heartache,
there will be rain,
and joy I can't explain.