im planning on buying a b-52 AT-112, and i plan on using the high gain channel quite extensively . however, i really don't like my stuff to be any louder then it needs to be, so i think i should get an attentuator. i will be playing only in my bedroom, and my bedroom is quite small. i will likely be less then 3 feet away from the amp.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046#new (amp)
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/THD-Hot-Plate-Attenuator?sku=481283#new (attentuator)

however, i am a noob at this; i have 0 experience with tube amps and attentuators, so i want to ask if a combo can even be used with an attentuator. i saw one review that said "if you have a head"..., and this amp is a combo, so its making me think attentuators can only be used with a head/cab. also, i wouldn't know what one (ohm rating) to get for the b-52, assuming they could even work together.

my guess right now is that the two are not compatible

if they aren't compatible, can anyone give me any alternate suggestions? perhaps a way i can lower the volume, or another amp suggestion?

really, my budget is 1200$. BUT I DO NOT want to spend ALL of it. right now, with the amp, attentuator, and isp decimator in my cart, my total is a little over 800$. please make sure any suggestions are close to this total.
it'll work fine, you might need to get a couple of speaker cables to run it though.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
I recommend trying the amp first and see if you even need an attenuator.

I really only think attenuators are useful for those old Marshall and Fender amps which need to be turned up for their characteristic tone. Otherwise, attenuating a high wattage amplifier so that you can crank it and play at bedroom volumes sounds no better than just playing the amp volume on 1 or 2.
Quote by al112987
I recommend trying the amp first and see if you even need an attenuator.

I really only think attenuators are useful for those old Marshall and Fender amps which need to be turned up for their characteristic tone. Otherwise, attenuating a high wattage amplifier so that you can crank it and play at bedroom volumes sounds no better than just playing the amp volume on 1 or 2.

Not entirely true, you lose some bass response as you turn the volume down, and in such a way that turning the bass knob up might not help. Depends on the amp though.
Quote by kcdakrt

as much as i would like to try it out, i can't. there are no large dealers anywhere near where i live. my local store sells line 6 and peavey. (thought about the vypyr 60 but i dont need modeling capabilities).

assuming i buy speaker cables, how do i hook the attentuator up? it doesn't go in the pedal chain or effects loop does it? (never had more then 1 pedal, never had an effects loop, never hooked up a head to a cab... )

im assuming i need an attentuator because my 30w solid state is too loud with the volume at 2, at least it is on the high gain channel. remember, i will be literally 2.5 - 3 feet in front of the amp.

edit: are these what i would need? http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Planet-Waves-Classic-Series-Speaker-Cable?sku=339120#new
Last edited by SpeedLives at Jun 28, 2009,
coming out the back of the speaker, it'll plug into the amp somewhere.

Stock: Speaker > Head

Attenuated: Speaker > Attenuator > Head

You'll need two speaker cables, one female/male and the other male/male
Quote by kcdakrt

Quote by DLrocket89
Not entirely true, you lose some bass response as you turn the volume down, and in such a way that turning the bass knob up might not help. Depends on the amp though.
I've heard a '73 100 watt Marshall super bass brought down to a reasonable level with a THD set to -16dB and it sounded really compressed and sucked tone horribly.

Though I do imagine that there are better attenuators out there than the THD. But I mean, the guy ONLY used the attenuator because it was the only way he could get anything even resembling that huge Marshall tone at a volume suitable for gigging and prefers to use a PPIMV for brnging the amp down to "low volumes"
Last edited by al112987 at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by SpeedLives
is that attentuator not very good? musiciansfriend only had 3, one was 200$ more, and the other had 0 reviews so i dont want to take a chance on it.

is this the male to female cable? http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live-Wire-Elite-Speakon14-Speaker-Cable?sku=331139#new

sorry i need someone to hold my hand through this...

nope,. not the answer there.

Wait, is this amp a head or combo?
Quote by kcdakrt

i said it was a combo like 3 times lol + plus the link XD

edit: the part about it being a combo was what lead me to believe it might not work with an attentuator.
Last edited by SpeedLives at Jun 28, 2009,
You probably don't need an attenuator.

I use my MXR M-108 to quiet down my VK, as it has an input gain (not the same thing as amp gain) and volume slider which both go down to -12 dB, so it's very bearable for bedroom practice.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
sooo hmmm that makes sense i suppose. lower the sliders so the input volume is quieter so the end volume will be quieter even with the tubes working at the appropriate level. that sounds like it'll work fine. it will also save me alot of money
Your tubes will also last longer. An attenuator is more for getting tube breakup at reasonable volume than just keeping it quiet if you ask me.

Plus, an EQ pedal is fairly beneficial to the B-52's tone.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
k, guess its decided then. dropping the 1212.75$ cash into the bank on monday , ordering monday night hopefully...

*edit: i got my amp, and it !@#$ing broke. take heed of the reviews on musiciansfriend that say they would be great if you could only get a working one.

also, you could use the power attentuator with the b-52 at112 if you got 1 male to male cable and 1 male to female, cause you can unplug the amplifier from the speaker.
Last edited by SpeedLives at Jul 4, 2009,