I need help... with sweep picking.
I can't get both my hands to synchronize, i dont really know what to play to practice or anything, and can someone tell me what they did that i can practice slowly and get better at?
just practice. thats it. doing what ur doing is probably enough, it just takes time.
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
well thats the thing.... im not really doing anything to help improve my sweeping because i dont know any figures or what notes to play
Try a simple A minor arpeggio.

|-------12-------|
|----13----13----|
|-14-------------|
|----------------|
|----------------|
|----------------|

Play it slow. There's metronome programs all over the internet if you don't already have one. Start out at around 30 bpm, maybe even 20, and work your way up about 5 bpm at a time when you can do it comfortably at the speed you're on. For something more advanced, try something like this.

|------------12------------|
|---------10----10---------|
|-------9----------9-------|
|----10--------------10----|
|-12-----------------------|
|--------------------------|

In a few days that should build up some coordination between your hands.
thanks so much erick, that helps a lot. but if you wouldnt mind me askin, where can i get a metranome program ? :/
This isn't the best example, but try http://www.webmetronome.com/ It's the first thing I found on Google.

If you're doing the first example, I would recommend sixteenth notes at arouns 30 bpm to start off. That's playing the first example I posted one time every time the number changes.
http://www.metronomeonline.com/ is the one I use.

And for some sweeps... I attached some basic 4 and 5 string sweeps. The key is just finding triads (3) or tetrads (4) of chords, finding the notes in a convenient sweeping place on the fretboard, and practicing it.
Attachments:
Sweep Chords.zip
Last edited by tenfold at Jun 28, 2009,
I'd say forget sweeping for the time being and come back to it when you're actually in a position to make use of the technique - you need to have good fretboard knowledge and a decent understanding of theory to do anything constructive with sweep picking, until you've got that there's little to be gained from trying to learn it.

Out of interest how long have you been playing?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I'd say forget sweeping for the time being and come back to it when you're actually in a position to make use of the technique - you need to have good fretboard knowledge and a decent understanding of theory to do anything constructive with sweep picking, until you've got that there's little to be gained from trying to learn it.

Out of interest how long have you been playing?

I hate to be the devil's advocate, but I learned most of what I know about chord construction through sweeping. Personally, seeing as how sweeps are generally just arpeggiated chords, I would encourage that the two be learned simultaneously.
Quote by chikinskratch
well thats the thing.... im not really doing anything to help improve my sweeping because i dont know any figures or what notes to play

Didn't spot this post. If that's the case then, erm, learning to sweep is pretty useless. I suggest you learn some music theory. In your situation, saying "show me things to sweep" is like saying "tell me some big words to drop into conversation" - even if you succeed at learning them you'll look like an idiot when you use them.

Watch my theory vids, they're very simple and aimed at people with no previous experience. Take it easy and learn to play before learning to play faster...
I feel like I should let you know that sweeping is a lot of effort for very minimal gain. When I was in high school, sweeping was all the rage, so there were 20-30 different guitarists who could sweep very well, but they couldn't do much else. If it's for a cover and it's in your spare time, great, but don't think that it's going to be the panacea that makes you a great player.

Not saying you think this or anything, but I find that it's a common mindset, so just thought I'd put my two cents in.