Page 1 of 2
We see so many threads in this forum about your favorite this or the greatest that, so for a change, I'd like to know...what don't you like about your favorite band(s)? It can be a few songs that you can't stand, or an album that you despise, or something you feel should have been done differently (terrible production?), etc.

I don't want to hear any "I like everything my favorite band has ever done"...every band I can think has released sub-par material in some way, shape, or form (only possible exceptions would be Blind Faith or Derek and the Dominos, because they were so short lived and the albums put out by both bands were just so damn good).

So...let's hear it. What don't you like?

How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I don't like that Pearl Jam's drumming isn't usually as good as it could be. On some their songs, the drums are just kind of there. They keep the beat well, but they don't often do much more than that. On some songs, like "Who You Are" and "W.M.A", the drums do something more...different I suppose, and it's much better.
I guess what I'm getting at is Pearl Jam always has a great drummer, they just don't often do very inventive drum beats. The drums always sound good, but sometimes they could be much better. Pearl Jam is my favorite band, by the way.
I think this thread might work much better as like a top 5 thread like A Rolling Stone has over in the B&A except with Top 5 least favorite...
As for me like pretty much every Zeppy fan I hate D'yer Maker and I have a line that's drawn about how psychadelic it can get before it's just weird. I think stuff more psychadelic than Jimi and Floyd is where I don't like it much anymore.
Here's what I think:

The Black Crowes
- I can live without hearing She Talks To Angels ever again.
- As much as I like Remedy, Words You Throw Away (the song that became Remedy) is so much better.
- Downtown Money Waster should have been recorded for Amorica the way they play it live. They rerecorded it during the Band sessions and it absolutely kicks the shit out of the studio version.
- How this band allowed Blackberry to appear on Three Snakes and not Pastoral is a mystery.
- Shelving Band in favor of By Your Side.
- The production on By Your Side is terrible. There are no dynamics, only loud and louder.
- I don't like Heavy, Diamond Ring, or Then She Said My Name.
- Lions is a mess. The album is very hit or miss, and Ozone Mama and Lickin' are the two worst songs in the Crowes' catalog.
- I don't like There's Gold In Them Hills, especially when they play it live in the middle of an electric show. Talk about a buzzkill.
- I have many complaints about certain things they do live, the most important one being DROP THORN IN MY PRIDE.

Pink Floyd
- A Momentary Lapse of Reason is garbage, save for Sorrow and On The Turning Away.
- The spacey middle sections in Echoes and Dogs should have been cut down.
- What the hell is the point of Absolutely Curtains?
- The Ummagumma studio disc is pretty much worthless, with the exception of Grantchester Meadows and The Narrow Way Pt. 1 and maybe Pt. 3.
- I'm not a fan of The Final Cut.

Led Zeppelin
- I never liked The Crunge, Dy'er Mak'er, or most of In Through The Out Door.
- I don't like the Heartbreaker solo.

Aerosmith
- Rock in a Hard Place and Done With Mirrors? Bad.
- I could never get into Permanent Vacation or Nine Lives.
- The Just Push Play album is atrocious.
- Honkin' On Bobo would have been more enjoyable to listen to if it wasn't so freaking loud.
- I wish they hadn't used studio musicians on Get Your Wings. Joe and Brad could have clearly played the parts.
- This band has been pretty stubborn in recent years regarding their live show, but that's a whole other story that I won't get into here.
Quote by Thefallofman
Bruce Springsteen
- Don't really care for The Ghost of Tom Joad or half of Devils and Dust
- Slowly starting to like Working on a Dream, but there are some stinkers that I just can't get over

Eagles
- Hated Long Road Out of Eden, with exception of the single "How Long"
- Can't stand how they kicked out Felder and raised ticket prices AGAIN

Rolling Stones
- Don't care for any of their studio work after Tattoo You, especially Undercover and Dirty Work, I don't mind A Bigger Bang though

Led Zeppelin
- I'm off of them right now. At the risk of sounding like an old fart, they're getting a bit loud and one note for me (I can't believe I said that...)

Progressive Rock
- I don't care how talented Yes is, I find progressive rock dull (I know I'm a Rush fan but I hardly ever listen to or like their post-1970s keyboard drenched stuff)

James Taylor
- Thanks for the Starbucks album buddy. You're popular with all the soccer moms I know.

Bob Dylan
- Got sick of Together Through Life by the second listen. I don't care who played on it Bob, your new album sucks.

U2
- I've never been a huge fan but they've had a few great singles over the years (I loved "Vertigo") but No Line on the Horizon was one of the worst attempts at sounding current since the Stones did Black and Blue.

And finally...

Rod Stewart
- Stop kissing Clive Davis' ass and record an album with Woody already!

Hey! That was fun!
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
I love the Heartbreaker solo ...Anyways:

The White Stripes:
- The last few songs on White Blood Cells
- The song "It's True That We Love One Another"

The Mars Volta
- Parts of the second half of The Bedlam In Goliath
- The song "Tourniquet Man"
- The song Tetragrammaton can tend to drag on at times.

Led Zeppelin
- Plant's voice can get annoying
- Most of the songs on "In Through The Out Door"
My Albums

TALKING LIKE A JERK EXCEPT
YOU ARE AN ACTUAL JERK
AND LIVING PROOF THAT

SOMETIMES FRIENDS ARE MEAN

last.fm
tumblr
Dire Straits
- On Every Street was pure garbage, but the best album to cure insomnia that will ever be released.
- Les Boys was a stupid end to a great album, Making Movies.

Led Zeppelin
- However you put it, Jimmy Page is far too sloppy for my tastes....The Heartbreaker solo? Pure unadulterated cr*p!
- Neither Page nor Plant could perform live after 1973, no matter what anyone says.
- The Song Remains The Same was far too self-indulgent.

Motorhead
- Stop playing songs in the key of E goddammit!!

The Rolling Stones
- Anything after Some Girls was garbage, except for Bridges to Babylon. That was a surprisingly good record!
- It's Only Rock n' Roll could have been better if the songs weren't so long!
- Why does Keef even get a solo spot in some songs, much less live?

That felt pretty good actually!
My Signal Chain:

Gibson 1974 Les Paul Custom
Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

Nigel will always be 1 louder than you!
Quote by BrainDamage
(only possible exceptions would be Blind Faith or Derek and the Dominos, because they were so short lived and the albums put out by both bands were just so damn good).

Damn Right. I'm downloading a Clapton/Winwood show from you right now

Led Zeppelin-
After '70 Robert never sang to his full potential and always watered down the parts where he should've been wailing. I still love Zeppy live, but this irks me to no end.

The Eagles-
Pretty much everything. I really don't like them

Aerosmith-
Every studio release after Draw the Line apart from Pump and Permanent Vacation. Their newest is alright. All other abums may have a few good tracks, but just don't live up to Aerosmith's standards.

That's all for now, may post more later.
Pot
Kettle
Black
Quote by A Rolling Stone

Led Zeppelin-
After '70 Robert never sang to his full potential and always watered down the parts where he should've been wailing.
That's because he couldn't wail from about '73 on.

Quote by A Rolling Stone
The Eagles-
Pretty much everything. I really don't like them
Remember the original idea was not to say what bands/artists you don't like, but what you don't like about your favorite band.

Another thing I don't like- The James Gang's album Thirds was a disappointment. After two absolute classics in Yer Album and Rides Again, Thirds was not a good album, with the exception of Walk Away and Midnight Man.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by A Rolling Stone

Led Zeppelin-
After '70 Robert never sang to his full potential and always watered down the parts where he should've been wailing. I still love Zeppy live, but this irks me to no end.

I thought the Royal Albert Hall performance was pretty good. As far as I remember...

Pink Floyd-
The spacey Echoes breakdown was a bit long.
Most of Dark Side of the Moon

Led Zeppelin-
Most of their post- Zeppelin 1V work

Jethro Tull-
Ian Anderson's stage costumes in the later 70's
Not all are classic rock but some of my favorites none the less.

Dylan
For as much mind blowingly good stuff there's just some awful ****. Everything between Nashville Skyline and Oh Mercy. With a few exceptions.

Cream
It's not fair that all 3 members are alive and yet the greatest Rock band to ever exist doesn't play live or write any material.

Grateful Dead
American Beauty and Workingman's Dead are AMAZING everything else not so much
Seem to jam without purpose

Black Sabbath
Everything after Sabotage sucks. That includes every album and this new Heaven and Hell nonsense. Oh how I despise that little dungeons and dragons Italian elf.

Tom Petty
Dated sounding production ie Let Me Up
Sometimes the snare bothers be SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much

Bruce Springsteen
Everything that's not just him and his guiatr and harp is annoying except the Seeger Sessions
WAY overproduced
Music overshadows the brilliant songwriting

David Allan Coe
REALLY hit or miss.
Fantastic songwriter with far too many stnkers
Too much production

Hank Williams III
Songs are beginning to be repetitive
We get it your an Outlaw who gets ****ed up write about something new
Stop putting screaming in the country songs
You shouldn't have screamed so god damn much because your voice is not what it was and you lost the god damned yodel.
Takes too long to get album released although that's more Record Company

Unknown Hinson
Studio albums do not sound like or even begin to compare to the live show which after over a year I've yet to get over

Earl Scruggs
Just about everything post Flatt & Scruggs isn't very good

Johnny Cash
Too much material is over produced

I think I'm just too picky when it comes to production.
Last edited by fattypumbaa at Jun 29, 2009,
Not all of these are classic rock

David Bowie = most of his music from the 80s and onward until Heathen.
The Police = About half of Ghost in the Machine and Synchronicity
The Stooges = We Will Fall, just couldn't get into that song
Sex Pistols = the first five tracks of Never Mind the Bollocks, with the exception of Holiday in the Sun. Rest of the album owns
Dinosaur Jr. = Feel the Pain, Hand it Over
Soundgarden = Most of the last 10 songs on Down on the Upside
Led Zeppelin = Most of their music after Houses of the Holy
Green Day = Nimrod and about half of American Idiot
Smashing Pumpkins = Machina I and everything after that

thats all I can be arsed to think of right now
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Last edited by David_Bowie=GOD at Jul 30, 2009,
^I agree, most bands seem to have turned more than a bit cr*p in the 80s

Quote by HeavyMetalMan28
I love Rush, but sometimes, I just find Geddy Lee's voice irritating. That's about it, really.

Sometimes???
Co-founder of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM me or nick dixon
Winner of the CR Best Avatar Award

Quote by bodyheatseeker
ohhh burrrrn!
That's how we roll in the CR forum.
Irritate us, and we'll sic our 14 year old on you!
Not Classic Rock, but the untitled track (later labeled "Iron Gland") from Alice in Chain's second album, Dirt, is a complete break in the flow of the album, serving as what I consider the only hindering aspect of that record.

The Allman Brothers Band had a rough patch of albums between 1979 and 1981. I own both Enlightened Rogues and Reach for the Sky, and have yet to hear Brothers of the Road, but these three albums are notorious as downers in the band's discography. Enlightened Rogues definitely has several listenable songs, but Reach for the Sky is definitely a disappointment.

Quote by aig91
Derek Trucks
- I dislike the song Lookout 31

That is actually one of my favorite tracks from Joyful Noise. However, on topic of The Derek Trucks Band, I do not enjoy listening to "Maybe This Time" or "Our Love" from Already Free because of Doyle Bramhall II's featured voice on those songs.

I have always had trouble getting into Led Zeppelin's In Through the Out Door. "In the Evening" has always been enjoyable, and "South Bound Saurez", "Fool in the Rain", and "All of My Love" are listenable (that listen occasionally contains "Carouselambra", if I am in "the mood"), but "Hot Dog" was a mistake, and "I'm Gonna Crawl" has never appealed to me. I agree with BrainDamage that the "Heartbreaker" solo is poor, though I do believe it picks up after Jimmy Page's initial slop following the brief chordal interlude.

Pink Floyd's Final Cut is terrible. Period. And no, I am not forgetting Ummagumma; I consider it to be a decent album (yes, the studio album).

Similar to earlier complaints regarding Pink Floyd's "empty spaces" in songs (yes, that pun was intended), I feel that Yes has crowned itself as king in the category (though Rush gives Yes a run for its money on Rush's longer tracks).
Quote by cornmancer
That's because the 80's were the dark ages of music.

For most of the bands in this forum at least. The 80s weren't completely awful. Sure, they had hair metal and some really bad pop music, but it also had hardcore punk, alternative like Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr and REM. It also gave birth to grunge, so it wasn't completely terrible.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
This sounds like fun.

The Beatles
I love George Harrison, but some of his early Indian influenced stuff just bothers me. I know a lot of people love it, but I just skip it when it comes up.

The Who
Most everything after "The Who By Numbers" except for a few good singles. The albums were not very good for me.
And I actually really like "Endless Wire", but some such as "Tribly's Piano" and "In the Ether" are just painful.

Eric Clapton
His 90s and 00s albums are just way overproduced. They have some good writing on them but not enough guitar (I mean, he's f***ing Eric Clapton!), and they just sound too much like a Britney Spears production.

Pearl Jam
Not classic rock... ya whatever.
They seem to always have to put ONE horrible horrible and overindulgent song on each album. They make an incredible album, and then just throw something painful in there that can't be listened to.

I think that's all for now. I'm sure I'll think of more.
Please don't confront me with my failures. I had not forgotten them.
It's the stereotypical 80s that is terrible. Synthpop, Final Countdown, etc. It's my guilty pleasure to listen to crappy 80's music though
Neil Young
- Old Ways, Trans, Everybody's Rockin', and Landing On Water. Uh...what?

Frank Zappa
- I don't get We're Only In It For The Money. There are a couple of decent tracks, but as a whole I just don't like it.
- Jazz From Hell is weird. Very weird.
- As much as I love Joe's Garage, it loses a lot of focus in the third act.

The Grateful Dead
- Estimated Prophet is one of my favorite live songs, but the studio cut is unlistenable. A lot of the Dead's song catalog is similar...there is some good stuff, but most of their songs are brought to a new level live.

Yes
- 90125 and Big Generator. Ouch.
- I skip Cans and Brahms every time I listen to Fragile. Wakeman is unbelievably talented, but I can't listen to that song.
- The Remembering and The Ancient from Tales, while both having some redeemable qualities, are largely a waste of space. That being said, Revealing Science of God and Ritual are fantastic.

Rush
- I don't own Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows or Hold Your Fire, but I haven't been that impressed with what I've heard from them.
Quote by Thefallofman
Led Zeppelin
D'yer Mak'er
In Through The Outdoor except In The Evening

The Stone Roses
Ten Storey Love Song
Sally Cinnamon

Pink Floyd
I generally dislike Roger Waters

Clapton
Phil Collins period

I also hate Queen with a passion.
Last edited by Skirvy at Jul 1, 2009,
Quote by Skirvy

Clapton
Phil Collins period

Though I disagree with the rest of your post, this is absolutely true. Why a great artist would team up with someone like Phil Collins is beyond me

Jack White:
In every band he's in (all 12 of them) he seems to have an "I am God and everyone is in this band isn't as talented as me" complex. And live he's a regular Axl Rose.
Though his actual music apart from the Dead Weather is fantastic.

Steve Winwood:
His 80s pop stuff wasn't very good. And he's my all-time favorite musician. 60-70 and 90s-Present is the good stuff.
Pot
Kettle
Black
Quote by A Rolling Stone
Though I disagree with the rest of your post, this is absolutely true. Why a great artist would team up with someone like Phil Collins is beyond me

He's a pretty tight drummer. I know his pop stuff is generally lame, but even then there's a few good things.

Quote by TheHeartbreaker
That is actually one of my favorite tracks from Joyful Noise.

Indeed, I would go so far as to say I am not a particularly big fan of any of the vocal material on Joyful noise. In general, they just don't work for me.

Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I have always had trouble getting into Led Zeppelin's In Through the Out Door. "In the Evening" has always been enjoyable, and "South Bound Saurez", "Fool in the Rain", and "All of My Love" are listenable (that listen occasionally contains "Carouselambra", if I am in "the mood"), but "Hot Dog" was a mistake, and "I'm Gonna Crawl" has never appealed to me.

I actually really enjoy South Bound Saurez and Carouselambra, and enjoy Hot Dog in a "so bad it's good" way. Fool in the Rain and All of My Love have maybe been played a little too much for me to enjoy terribly. Either way, I agree that it's not as solid as other albums.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
The Beatles
I don't care much for anything from Paul McCartney after 1966. There are a few I like, but other than that, I despise them.

Bob Dylan
Christan phase, that is all.

Oasis
I hate Liam Gallagher with a passion.
Quote by BrainDamage
- I skip Cans and Brahms every time I listen to Fragile. Wakeman is unbelievably talented, but I can't listen to that song.

Me too

Quote by BrainDamage
- I don't own Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows or Hold Your Fire, but I haven't been that impressed with what I've heard from them.

Grace Under Pressure is OK, Power Windows has a few good songs on it, I haven't got Hold Your Fire either, but the other two are below normal standards on a Rush album
Co-founder of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM me or nick dixon
Winner of the CR Best Avatar Award

Quote by bodyheatseeker
ohhh burrrrn!
That's how we roll in the CR forum.
Irritate us, and we'll sic our 14 year old on you!
Quote by A Rolling Stone

Steve Winwood:
His 80s pop stuff wasn't very good. And he's my all-time favorite musician. 60-70 and 90s-Present is the good stuff.

I never knew Steve Winwood is your favorite musician. I would have guessed Bob Dylan . This is kind of off-topic, but have you seen Winwood and Clapton at Madison Square Garden?
Lately when I listen to The Ramones, Joey's voice pisses me off.

Some of the Zeppelin songs I own I will admit bore the hell out of me from time to time (i.e. Since I've Been Loving You, Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You, All My Love...) maybe because they are songs about love
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

my favorite band, the eagles, have released some great stuff, but i didnt particular like The Long Run or Hell Freezes Over, there were only like 2 good song on each cd....
Quote by BrainDamage
I'm not a fan of The Final Cut.

Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Pink Floyd's Final Cut is terrible. Period.

I really didn't like the Final Cut for a while, but once I got over the fact that it didn't sound like Pink Floyd, I actually began to love it. Fantastic album. The sound is very slickly produced and yet it still sounds pretty raw.

I rate it far, far above Momentary Lapse and Division Bell, although there are a few tracks on Division Bell I enjoy (Keep Talking, What Do You Want From Me, High Hopes).
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
Quote by A Rolling Stone

Because Phil Collins was the drummer of one of the greatest prog bands out there (before it turned pop).
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by BrainDamage

Neil Young
- Old Ways, Trans, Everybody's Rockin', and Landing On Water. Uh...what?

Trans sucks even more now than it did tweny five years ago. The material hasn't aged well at all. I always laugh hysterically during Everybody's Rockin', and there's nothing funny about the record at all. Neil claims he did it to piss off record company bigwigs but I think he made a bad record and doesn't want to admit that his post-Rust Never Sleeps pre-Harvest Moon stuff is nowhere near as vital as the rest of his catalog (in fact it's mostly plagued with bad album after bad album).

I like Old Ways! Don't get me started on re-ac-tor!
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Last edited by Sloopy at Jul 7, 2009,
Quote by due 07
This is kind of off-topic, but have you seen Winwood and Clapton at Madison Square Garden?

No, but 2 weeks ago I saw Clapton/Winwood live in Ohio
And I saw Winwood with Tom Petty last summer.

Anyhow, most of John Lennon's album that are done with Yoko doing half of the album are just ruined by that. Double Fantasy for instance would be a great album if it was just called "Fantasy" and Yoko didn't inject any avant-garde crap into it.

EDIT:
Quote by Karvid
Because Phil Collins was the drummer of one of the greatest prog bands out there (before it turned pop).

This is subjective, I never liked Genesis on any of their albums (my step-dad sometimes forces me to sit through them in his car.) Peter Gabriel was a fantastic solo artist for the most part, but I can honestly say I've never heard any song featuring Phil Collins prominently that I've actually enjoyed.
Pot
Kettle
Black
Last edited by A Rolling Stone at Jul 7, 2009,
Rush. You can blame me friend for this one. Every time I go to his guitar class, he's always playing a rush song. Well, not even the whole song, just bits of it, and he knows bits and pieces of 7 songs, and just plays them over and over...The only song I can stand now is fly by night.
That's fine, but the point of this thread is to point out things you don't like about your favorite bands, not point out bands you don't like.
Quote by Thefallofman
I hate listening to basically all classic rock if its the original studio version. I love to listen to classic rock songs covered by local bands in bars and such, but seeing as I grew up accustomed to the high production values of today's music, I almost always find it hard to listen to anything pre 90's.

My dad got me a Jimi Hendrix album and a Door's album for Christmas once and I couldn't make it past the first few songs before I had to stop.

Similarly, I hate watching old movies too. Especially black and white.

It's not that I hate the music, I just can't seem to enjoy music that was recorded so primitively. I'd rather listen to Hendrix played by a solid cover band than listen to any of his actual recordings.
Hai 2 u
Last edited by Roads5 at Jul 28, 2009,
The Derek Trucks Band - I really don't care for "Maki Madni", Lookout 31 is kickass though.

Led Zeppelin - I too can do without D'yer Mak'er

Gov't Mule - I don't like most of their dub album Mighty High. All the sampling of "Unring the Bell" gets to be a real drag. If they wanted the sampled sound for the sake of fitting the dub mold, they could've recorded new and run that through a sampler. The Roots have done this for years in hip-hop.

The Black Crowes - With a few exceptions, By Your Side and Lions just suck.

The Drive-By Truckers - A lot of the material off of Gangstabilly and Pizza Deliverance wasn't very good. Their latest, Brighter Than Creation's Dark, wasn't too hot either.

Rod Stewart - Hey Rod, could you give us one more Every Picture Tells a Story? You know, before Ron Wood stops looking like a corpse and actually becomes one? C'mon man...

Dave Mason - "We Just Disagree", how could you do something like that after "Headkeeper" or "Look at You Look at Me"?

Bonnie Raitt - She started to suck on side two of Streetlights, and never bothered to fix the problem.

Ben Harper - I love ya' man, but there's no place for a religous album in the heart of this atheist.

Ryan Adams - Whiskeytown was great, except for most of Pneumonia. His solo stuff is either really good or boring and weird. It's always a gamble buying an album by this guy.

The Rolling Stones - Not much good at all after Some Girls, and Flowers is right out.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Page 1 of 2