I honestly am tired of hearing the same old repeated opinions that have permutated this board and many other boards on the internets. So I ask the following, and hope that I get the few of you guys out there that have actually heard, played with, and dealt with the amps I'm looking at.

So far, I have a 500 dollar second party check from guitar center, and a b52 at212 with messed up power tubes.

There are ways I can get the 500 bucks out from there but they aren't easy (second party check = gift card more or less) so I can consider that to be cash. And the b52 simply needs a quartet of 6l6 tubes (an $80 expense I believe)

I have the following choices:

Fix the b52 and buy new tubes and speakers for it.
Trade the check and my amp for a mesa f50 (combo 1 x 12)
Trade the check and my amp for a marshall tsl (combo 2 x 12)
Trade the check and my amp for an epiphone so-cal (head and 2 x 12)

I play tool, soundgarden, stone temple pilots, killswitch engage and other 90's alt rock.

I want a good clean channel and a steady and reliable gain channel...

In person the f50 has a nice bottom end and has a great clean channel.
Have not heard the tsl in person yet, but I've heard good things.
Never even heard of a so-cal

Now, I liked my b52, but I feel it lacks something, I'm guessing if I swapped out every possible tube in there for some higher quality stuff I'd be getting more bang for my buck, as well as trading out the speakers for some v30's or something.

The three trades I have there are from a single local music store, and I do believe that guitar center does have tubes, although I question how good they are.

So, experienced dudes out there, what would you recommend? I completely open to used things, and I'm willing to extend my budget a little bit (+/- $100) but not much.

Any thoughts?
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
The tsl combos need new speakers. and the Socal Head isnt a high gain monster.
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
a marshall mg......
expirienced enough answer for you buddy?
All jokes aside save up a little more and get the f50 + the speaker and tubes for your b52
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Well, out of those amps, the F-50 would be my choice, but I'm not sure you're really getting that great of a deal if you have to trade in your amp + $500 for it. I've seen these on my local CL going for around $600-650, and to value your amp at $100-150 is ridiculous.

The TSL is worth even less, and the So-Cal is probably worth the least.

I haven't tried a TSL, but I have tried a DSL50 and it's a great amp. I was surprised at how articulate it gets, but I much preferred it with a boost for metal, it just didn't have the big, tight lowend without it.

I've never tried a So-Cal to compare.

The B-52s are pretty nice amps, I think the TSL and F-50 would be better tone-wise, but for the price you'd be paying for them, I'd probably rather just do the upgrades the B-52.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well the f50 is priced at 570 at the store and the tsl is at 500. See, my problem is that ****ing two party check, I have to find someone who wants 500 dollars worth of stuff from guitar center and get them to give me the cash. Then I can keep my b52, use it as an extension 2x12 for the f50 (which is what I really do want)

Anybody know how I could get this to work?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
A retube on the b52 does it wonders. When I had my at100 head I retubed it with some jj's and it really came alive. I believe guitar center carries Groove tubes (crap in my opinion) and mesa boogie tube (which I believe are JJ's with a Boogie stamp on them).

that being said, I would go with the f50. If it was a dsl versus a f50 I would say dsl all the way. Not a fan of the tsl.

There, I said it. My name is mark, I am a marshall fan boy, and I just picked a mesa over a marshall

cheers
Apparently guitar center sells EHX tubes... not bad...

Which begs the question, a retube of a b52 or an f50... Some choice... I could just use the b52 as a extension cab lmao...
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Quote by twistudriffer
A retube on the b52 does it wonders.

This is very true.

However, the F50 is a much better amp than the B52 all around, and is definitely the choice amp when the SoCal and TSL are thrown into the mix. Dont get me wrong, the SoCal is a cool amp, but its not going to cover what you need. If youre going to go the JCM 2000 route, the DSL heads are great, but the combo really needs a speaker change and the TSL, to my ears, does not have nearly as good an overdrive channel. Now, Ive never tried to do anything like KSE on the Mesa, but I think it might need an OD to get to that level. Otherwise, it suits the other tones you listed really well.

Edit: If you want to save up more, you could get the F50 then rutube the B52 (or vice versa). Could get some pretty kick ass sounds with those run in stereo
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
A stereo rig? Now THATS a good idea. I think for now I'm gonna look around for people willing to let me buy them 500 dollars worth of stuff at guitar center and trade that for cash on the spot.

I'll take the 500 bucks, save up $70 more and buy the f50. I'll use the b52 as an extension 2x12 along with the 1x12 for a 3/8th stack setup. And eventually I'll buy tubes for the b52 and then buy another 1x12 for the mesa and I'll wind up with a half stack made up of two good amps...

Because... I like my b52, it doesn't have THE BEST gain channel, but its clean channel is nice and I like the bottom end of my b52.

Lmao, to be honest I could pull adam jones rig off in a ghetto way. Use my b52 as a pure bass monster and use the f50 to provide the gain I need.

This should be interesting.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
I would say Mesa F-50 hands down for a few reasons.

1. The B-52 is great for a budget, but not super impressive.

2. The TSL didn't impress me at all when I played it. A DSL would be better.

3. An F-50 is a great amp, especially for the tones you want.
I'm probably gonna go back to the shop and sit down with both the f50 and the tsl and hear both of them.

Regardless, its a marshall or a mesa. I really couldn't fathom I'd have a choice like this a year ago.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel