I have never tried one before( I live two hours away form a music store). Is the quality really as good as a Gibson? One of my friends told me that they are gibsons except without the name on the headstock. They seem incredibly popular, sometimes more than gibson, guessing becasue of their price. For example, how is a standard and custome epi compared to gibsons? Thanks
Gear
Fender MIM hss strat 1997
Marshall Class 5
Line 6 Floor Pod Plus
OCD drive

I love classic rock.
The Epiphones and Gibsons have almost exactly the same features. But you're not paying entirely for the name. Gibsons are just better made no question about it. Plus, it's a classic. I own an Epiphone Goldtop and I love it, but I'd do anything for a Gibson. They're just better guitars.

Let me put it this way. You have a Epiphone bookshelf and a Gibson bookshelf. They look the same, but the Epiphone is cheaper. Then you slowly find the faults in the Epiphone and in the end, it's just a crap bookshelf. But the Gibson will stay the same, as long as you take care of it.

Almost identical when it comes to the specs, Gibson is just better overall.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by fender--player1
I have never tried one before( I live two hours away form a music store). Is the quality really as good as a Gibson? One of my friends told me that they are gibsons except without the name on the headstock. They seem incredibly popular, sometimes more than gibson, guessing becasue of their price. For example, how is a standard and custome epi compared to gibsons? Thanks

same quality as a gibson.... No
kids will say they are the same quality and everything is the same because they want to believe their instrument is better than reality.

that being said they are good guitars.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
kids will say they are the same quality and everything is the same because they want to believe their instrument is better than reality.

that being said they are good guitars.
Truth.

They're good guitars for the price though, try a few out, pick out one that plays well, sounds good, maybe swap the pickups out and you have a pretty good guitar at a good price.
I've had an Epiphone LP custom and I truly loved it. When I got it in the mail, I hated it for a week, oddly. I didn't think it felt right. But I guess it got "broken in" because after that first week, it was definitely my favorite guitar. I've played the cheaper 899 Gibsons and I have to say that an upper scale Epiphone blows the **** out of a bargain Gibson.
Quote by khariii
I've had an Epiphone LP custom and I truly loved it. When I got it in the mail, I hated it for a week, oddly. I didn't think it felt right. But I guess it got "broken in" because after that first week, it was definitely my favorite guitar. I've played the cheaper 899 Gibsons and I have to say that an upper scale Epiphone blows the **** out of a bargain Gibson.
How can you say that when it took you a week to like your Epiphone? How do you know that you wouldn't have liked the cheaper Gibson after a week?
IMO, the lower end Epi LPs aren't worth the money, even if you get them half off. But the higher end ones are fine. The Epi LP Custom is a thoroughly decent guitar, even if it ain't how I roll.
Quote by al112987
How can you say that when it took you a week to like your Epiphone? How do you know that you wouldn't have liked the cheaper Gibson after a week?

this.

also you might not have considered that you may have played one of the bad gibsons in the batch. Every guitar that is mass produced will have some gems and some garbage.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73

agreed. gibson might have dodgy QC, but the vast majority of them are better guitars than epiphones (excepting lemons, and MIJ Epiphones).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i have an epi lp and i like it, even after playing a couple gibsons at the GC.

of course it wasnt as good quality and whatnot but theyre great great for the money. personally i think gibson lp are a little overpriced, but they do play very well.
The graph for the price vs. quality is more parabolic than geometric. That's just the way it works.
yeah, law of diminishing returns and all that. It's worth mentioning, though, that the only two options aren't just "Gibson" and "Epiphone".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
lol yeah. Tokais are good too. There've been a bunch floating around eBay and CL recently....
yeah. and if you've got enough for a gibson, there are a load of other high-end manufacturers (including the high-end MIJ copies like navigator) which would be worth a look.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll add that the best Epi I have tried wasn't quite up to the feel of my cheapo Chinese 12-string which was 1/3 the price. So I'd say Epi's, the best of them, are also overpriced when compared with most of the opposition. And as has been said, the cheap ones really are very poor.
What I'd say to any buyer is, save a bit of money and get an Agile in USA or a Vintage in Europe. Failing that, a Tokai or Burny that cost about the same as an Epiphone but feel and play a good bit better.
BTW I'm told that all Epi's better LP's have flame Maple veneer instead of the proper cap.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Dave_Mc
agreed. gibson might have dodgy QC, but the vast majority of them are better guitars than epiphones (excepting lemons, and MIJ Epiphones).

I agree. But the fact is, to get the same features as an Epi LP Ultra II would cost many, many times the cost of the Epi.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The good Epi LPs are good. Try them and see which one you like the best.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by mamosa
Aren't Navigators more than a Gibby? They cost like... 3000 USD, no?

maybe. depends on the exchange rate, really, and also which gibby you're looking at. On paper, anyway, those navigators have a higher spec than even the highest-spec custom shop gibsons. Ditto the really high-end tokais (ls470? something like that). I mean, gibson's not using brazilian rosewood, and they are, etc. etc. I don't think gibson is using honduran mahogany either, but i could be wrong.

Quote by oneblackened
I agree. But the fact is, to get the same features as an Epi LP Ultra II would cost many, many times the cost of the Epi.

is that the one with the piezos? if so, that's probably true. How many people want the piezos, though? I mean, if you do, more power to you, kind of thing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah dave, it is. I've never needed it, but you know.

Also, Dave is an awesome name no?
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
And if you have the cash for a Navigator, high-end Tokai, or LP, then look at PRS too! They have some nice guitars. The SC-245/250 deserve a mention. As does the Tremonti. I want that guitar badly....
I think ANY PRS deserves mention, even the Custom 24 with trem. They're quite similar to an LP in most aspects.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I have two and they are good, not great, just good. I use it more then my Gibson, Only cause I don't like the pickups in my Gibson.
Quote by oneblackened
I think ANY PRS deserves mention, even the Custom 24 with trem. They're quite similar to an LP in most aspects.

The PRS Tremonti is one of the few sig guitars I didn't feel was vastly overpriced. Only a bit. If it was $500 less, I would think it's fair.
Quote by oneblackened
Yeah dave, it is. I've never needed it, but you know.

Also, Dave is an awesome name no?

haha, yeah but it's annoying when you're out anywhere, someone always shouts out "Dave!?" to someone they know, and about 10 people turn round

Quote by mamosa
And if you have the cash for a Navigator, high-end Tokai, or LP, then look at PRS too! They have some nice guitars. The SC-245/250 deserve a mention. As does the Tremonti. I want that guitar badly....

yeah, PRS would be worth a look. the mccarty is probably the closest to a LP vibe (well, or the singlecut 245, i guess)... if you're willing to look at things which aren't exact copies, though, you have a lot more options.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You get what you pay for, but value for money is better with the Epiphones. But if you've got the money, go Gibson.