My friend recently purchased a bass amplifier. He had the crappiest amp before, and this one seems like heaven to him. He keeps telling me to plug my Ibanez into it. I'm like "well since plugging a bass into a guitar amp would blow it, wouldn't my guitar mess up your amp?". But he's saying stuff like bass amps are stronger so how could a guitar break it or something like that. Which, I guess, makes a little sense. But I'm just wondering.

Same thing goes to acoustic amps as well. How would a guitar do though a bass and acoustic amp?
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
It's safe...won't sound too great....

NOPE! NOT SAFE, NOT SAFE!!! RUN!!!

*spam removed*
Look, I was never one of those people who pretended to love the pedophile. At least I'm not a hypocrite who made fun of him while he was alive, but now he's dead respects him.
bass is too low and will blow out a guitar amp.
guitar through a bass amp wont mess it up, but wont sound as good as a guitar amp.
acoustic amp im not sure
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
On topic, I tried guitars in bass amps and I must say it's the heaviest guitar sound I can get. Not the clearest but it has balls.
Yeah, I'm not too sure about an acoustic amp. But a bass won't blow out a guitar amp. I've tried it and it *works*, I guess.
Bass amp = Yes
Acoustic amp = If you mean the brand Acoustic, yes. If you mean acoustic amps, then I dunno

Quote by mamosa
Yeah, I'm not too sure about an acoustic amp. But a bass won't blow out a guitar amp. I've tried it and it *works*, I guess.

Not the first time you do it, but after a while you're gonna break the speaker.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Jun 28, 2009,
I've plugged into bass amps with a strat, and it sounds good. Cleans sounded REAL thick and no icepick highs thru the bridge.

And no, a guitar isn't going to blow a bass amp. The primary concern with a bass plugged into a guitar amp is just the SPEAKER blowing, cause the speakers aren't made to reproduce the low freq. of a bass. If you had a guitar amp plugged into a bass cab, and ran a bass guitar, it wouldn't blow anything. The freq response would be off, but it wouldn't hurt anything.
Acoustic amp...I think it's just voiced differently than a "standard" guitar amp, probably more of a full range sound, and the speaker would most likely be a full range too. Sound wise, who knows. Would it blow it? Unless you cranked it to 11 and did the hardest power chord possible, it probably wouldn't even break a sweat.
Quote by dbtk44
Acoustic amp...I think it's just voiced differently than a "standard" guitar amp, probably more of a full range sound, and the speaker would most likely be a full range too. Sound wise, who knows. Would it blow it? Unless you cranked it to 11 and did the hardest power chord possible, it probably wouldn't even break a sweat.

+1
Acoustic amps are designed to amplify a more full range sound that acoustic produce. So, yes a guitar can go into an acoustic amp. It will be voiced differnt so it will sound differnt. I don't know if it sounds bad though you would have to test it. Also as said before guitars can be played through a bass amp hint the bassman was originaly for bass but so many guitarists liked it it became a popular amp for guitar. Basses can't be played through a guitar amp because it will blow the speaker.

And to mamosa go ahead and make your jokes but people here don't respect as a person we respect MJ as a musician and to be honest he's probaly the greatest musician of all time considering how succesful he was. Or atleast pop musician.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Acoustic guitar amps and bass amps both have wider range speakers then electric guitar amps. They'll handle electric guitar fine, but may sound slightly hissy if the high end isn't EQed right. What speakers are hooked up can have an effect too, guitar + bass amp + guitar cab is essentially the same as playing through a clean guitar amp, with a bass cab the highs and lows might be a little more emphasized.

In theory you can run bass -> guitar amp -> bass cab, but guitar amps lack headroom needed for, so it's likely to lose low end or distort, unless you run it at practise amp volumes. Some people take advantage of this and combine it with a bass amp for dirt and low end, like Lemmy from Motorhead or Nate from Converge.

Guitar preamp or POD + bass poweramp = epic djenty tone.
Bass amp + guitar = epic clean amp.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Jun 28, 2009,
I'm playing guitar with a bass amp, it's just the sound quality that will be decrased but there is no problem at all.
Bass through Guitar amp = broken amp
Guitar through Bass amp = it will be fine
E. Guitar through Acoustic amp = not sure, my dentist (whos been playing guitar for at least 30 years) said it was fine, but I only played on it for about an hour. Dunno about long-term use.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I use a bass through a guitar amp all the time and nothing has happened to it... Do you have to pay for a long time for the guitar amp to break or what?
Quote by kickasspats
I use a bass through a guitar amp all the time and nothing has happened to it... Do you have to pay for a long time for the guitar amp to break or what?

Whats your amp your playing it in?
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Whats your amp your playing it in?

A Crate VTX15 I believe it is called.
Quote by kickasspats
A Crate VTX15 I believe it is called.

Im not really sure, but im guessing its probably because its a low watt solid state amp. I definately wouldn't try playing bass through a guitar amp that you care about.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Im not really sure, but im guessing its probably because its a low watt solid state amp. I definately wouldn't try playing bass through a guitar amp that you care about.

Eh, it only cost about 100$ anyway. But I haven't seen any problems with it when playing my bass on it.
It's probably already been said, but..

Ever heard of a 59' Bassman?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Whilst its not good to put a bass through your guitar amp. I've done it a few times and its been fine, not at loud volumes though. Its fine to put an electric guitar through a bass/acoustic amp.