Okey dokey so ill be getting my license in august (gotta do my in cars first) and i have $930 saved up! I hav no idea of what car i would want. I wanna save like at least 1000-1500 tho for one. I hav a job but i only get like 120-200 bi-weekly. Any ideas or thoughts on buying a first car? Maybe this is a stupid thread but sorry im excited :p

Alright well iwas either looking for some sort of car and then save up for a nice little system. Either that or i would want a little pickuptruck so i could haul a little stuff, but i would take like a suv kinda car if i could get a deal
Last edited by codynw42 at Jun 28, 2009,
Ask Lt. Shinysides.

He seems to know alot about cars.

*waits for him to enter thread so I can be proved right*
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
need more info. are you looking for sedan? coupe? pickup truck? SUV? station wagon? etc.
please edit your post and i'll help you out.

if you can spend $1500 at the most, would you want to buy your car outright, or would prefer to get a loan for it, that way you've got a little more to play with.

EDIT:

Quote by Ganoosh
Ask Lt. Shinysides.

He seems to know alot about cars.

*waits for him to enter thread so I can be proved right*

lulz were had

EDIT2: I've done a little bit of hunting for you on autotrader and ebay, and I've started to notice that Audi A4's from around 1997 to 2000 fall within the price ranges of $2000 to $4000, so it's a little out of your price range, but if you were to get a loan or have your mom and dad help you out it's easily affordable. great car. leather interior, wood trim, 6 cylinder engine with decent horsepower, great gas mileage, and it looks good. is that something you'd be interested in or are you looking for something a little bit more sporty?

here y'ar. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-Mustang-GT-5-0-HO-V8-Manual-New-Engine_W0QQitemZ130315354978QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item1e57668362&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A317%7C240%3A1318#ht_654wt_1200

that is a 1995 ford mustang GT with a 5.0 V8. It is all around a fantastic car. especially for a first car, I've got a 2002 mustang GT and i adore it. a lot of mustangs prior to 1998 can be had for quite cheap.

WARNING: do not ever trust ebay motors, I am just showing you the link in order to show you the prices of what i think is a great car.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jun 28, 2009,
I have no idea, but I feel the need to tell you that my first car is a Corvette, as well as my little sister's.
Quote by Mr. B.
I have no idea, but I feel the need to tell you that my first car is a Corvette, as well as my little sister's.

....showoff.....

and Shinysides, you are welcome. I just felt like this was an awesome time to be perceived as psychic...(which I am, as you can obviously see)
Quote by Mr. B.

Holy shit how can you guys afford corvettes ? Do you work at Home depot ?
Trust me I'm a doctor

A doctor with a mustache
Quote by mathieupM13

I should sig that....but I won't, because my sig is cluttered as it is.
If you're going to try to get a loan, try to have a cosigner. You won't get far with no credit built up.
Quote by mathieupM13

Corvettes are not expensive if you buy them used. I was thinking about a vette, but i needed more than 2 seats. a c4 generation corvette from 1992 could cost less than $5000. I was on the lot about to buy a 96, but i realized at the last minute than 2 seats just wasn't going to cut it. the guy probably just bought a used one.
just buy something that gets you places...dont worry about looks til you get out of school
unless you wanna get laid

Since I feel that I should contribute to this thread, I'll tell you what I plan on buying for my first car.

90s. Honda. Civic.

You simply *almost* can't *usually* go wrong.
1990-94 Mitsubishi Eclipse or Eagle Talon

The same 4G63 block as the EVO7-9 make sure the timing belt was changed within the last 60k miles. With about $1500 you can make a solid 12 second 1/4 mile car and with $3000 you can run a high 10
if you look on craigs list there is alot of good deals on there, you just need a basic understanding of how cars work, like engine and electrical wise. A friend of mine bought a 1974 chevy 3/4 ton truck for $1000, and it was a find it was, perfeect running 350 V-8 with three on the tree. You just need to look around, and not be too picky about paint and rust.
Quote by Ganoosh
Since I feel that I should contribute to this thread, I'll tell you what I plan on buying for my first car.

90s. Honda. Civic.

You simply *almost* can't *usually* go wrong.

agreed. you can't go wrong with a civic unless you do this to it:

and even then, its not the cars fault, its cuz the driver was retarded.

BIGFUCKINGEDIT:

Quote by CustomCustom
1990-94 Mitsubishi Eclipse or Eagle Talon

The same 4G63 block as the EVO7-9 make sure the timing belt was changed within the last 60k miles. With about $1500 you can make a solid 12 second 1/4 mile car and with $3000 you can run a high 10

are you nuts? a 94 eclipse running 12 secs in the quarter for $1500? buddy, the car alone costs more than that. this is the problem with people who buy these cars. a 94 eclipse has a 4 cyl engine with 120 horsepower, maybe less since its aged, FWD, no limited slip dif, and a front heavy weight distribution. a stock eclipse which will cost at LEAST $2000 will be running 15 secs in the quarter mile. don't believe me? go to your local track and check out the times of the kids driving talons and eclipses. now, on to what it would cost you to build a 12 sec eclipse. first off, the car will cost minimum of $3000. add on to that a turbo, or a supercharger, $1000 if you can get one used, a new cooling system to go with the supercharger and various other bits that are required since you've just turbo'd or supercharged the engine, a new cam shaft, $300 (im estimating this figure grossly as i don't know what cam a mitsu takes) a complete engine overall since its now an old car $2000, a new exhaust system to raise horsepower, $2000, various bits of engine tuning in order to raise torque and performance, at least $2000, not to mention the large amounts of components that will now need replacing and strengthening since the engine has just undergone a big increase in horsepower. timing belt, crank, a better cold air intake, etc. , not to mention new tires since it wont get anywhere CLOSE to 12 sec on street tires, you're looking at $600 per tire if you get a really good deal. i won't even go on, you get the idea. that totals $12,300 in order to make an 11 sec eclipse. does that sound reasonable? and its his first car its not like he could do the work himself. seriously man, don't fill his head with dreams like this because he will end up disappoint. he's looking for a car, not a tuned drag racer (not much of a drag racer if i say, you'd better stay off the strip if you're in an eclipse, even a civic is better suited to the track than an eclipse)
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
agreed. you can't go wrong with a civic unless you do this to it:

(Invalid img)

Yes. That is definitely wrong.

TS, you are only allowed to get a civic if you promise not to do ANYTHING like that to it. I will not permit it.

If you do, I will confiscate it.
Where was the wait for Oli to get here huh.
-leaves in a huff-