I'm new to the whole equalization and compression stuff. can someone please tell me what tracks I should use a compressor on (ie. guitars, drums, bass, vocals)? and also what I should do when equalizing? like how many band eqs I should use on each instrument and what frequencies I should eliminate for each instrument? i read somewhere that guitar tracks should be kept to the mid frequencies, bass to lows, etc like use common sense. also how do i remove the muddiness from a guitar track? what makes it sound 'muddy'?

thanks in advance
cam dude
Gear: MBOX 2 w/ Pro Tools LE 8, Yamaha PSR-275 Keyboard, Apple iMac, Rode M1 Dynamic Mic, Legacy Axis 6 Studio Condenser Mic, Peavey Studio Pro 112, JTS NX-2 Kick Drum Mic, Ibanez SAS36FM, Greg Bennett Fairlane Bass, Squier Bullet Strat.
Quote by Cam Dude
I'm new to the whole equalization and compression stuff. can someone please tell me what tracks I should use a compressor on (ie. guitars, drums, bass, vocals)? and also what I should do when equalizing? like how many band eqs I should use on each instrument and what frequencies I should eliminate for each instrument? i read somewhere that guitar tracks should be kept to the mid frequencies, bass to lows, etc like use common sense. also how do i remove the muddiness from a guitar track? what makes it sound 'muddy'?

thanks in advance
cam dude

about the eq, it really depends on what you want as a result, i use compression for 2 things:

Guitar
Vocals

How? well, with the vocals i record a chorus or something and then i record over the vocals, with another vocals, the same things, but in a higher pitch, then i compress the higher pitch track and the results are wonderful

the guitar thing is just the same, just that with the same pitch
well you are going to want to defiantly compress, the kick, snare, toms, with a good attack, but not to pumping of a compressor this usually means a light attack 20ms a fast release 0 a good threshhold, (just mess with it) and some other stuff

i compress, bass (must have), drums (must have) vocals (REALLY MUST have) strings, keyboards, acoustic, etc. i do not compress guitars, ever.
I use a compressor plugin on almost everything but it's not always set up to actually compress, sometimes it's just there for the tonal coloration it provides. I do tend to use compression on drums (I usually double the kick and snare and compress one of those to hell and back), bass, vocals, guitars (just a hint on a mix bus to make the guitars "glue" together), and certain synth sounds. As far as EQ goes I agree with actaderock, it all depends on what you're trying to achieve. I use it mainly as a way to sculpt sounds so that they work in a mix. I use low cuts on everything, and I do mean everything, but I might add a touch of varying frequencies of upper mids to the guitars to bring them out a bit while also leaving room for the vocals. And there's always some added highs on the master bus to make the mix shine a bit more.