This might be a noob question. *Warning*

I have an E-mu Tracker Pre, a macbook and two dynamic mics that I use to record now.

I am being given a Nady SPC-25 Condenser Microphone. Now I know omni condensers and stuff are useful for miking rooms, or for getting a broader sound on an acoustic by getting the sound of it further out in the room. But what is the point of a cardioid condenser mic? Isn't that basically just a dynamic mic built to condenser standards?

I guess what I am asking is what can I use it for. I mean, the the price, the mic got great reviews. I have no money to spend on more equipment, so I'm not gonna complain about this, I just want to know how to use it.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
No, the only big thing that the two have in common are the pattern. Condenser microphones have much lighter, thinner diaphragms that create the sound via electric induction (or something of the like). If you want a more in-depth explanation of the differences, ask google. But the same recording traits hold true as with the omnidirectional condensers. They have great response for acoustic instruments and vocals, etc. They are also generally much more sensitive than dynamic microphones. I hope someone else can elaborate, I'm tired and not able to reach into the back areas of my brain at the moment.

Cheers
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
Quote by GuitarFreak664
No, the only big thing that the two have in common are the pattern. Condenser microphones have much lighter, thinner diaphragms that create the sound via electric induction (or something of the like). If you want a more in-depth explanation of the differences, ask google. But the same recording traits hold true as with the omnidirectional condensers. They have great response for acoustic instruments and vocals, etc. They are also generally much more sensitive than dynamic microphones. I hope someone else can elaborate, I'm tired and not able to reach into the back areas of my brain at the moment.

Cheers

Okay thank you. I mean, I understand patterns and types of mics and stuff. It just seemed like all I was getting was an overly sensitive dynamic mic.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
The point of it is, to have a condenser that doesn't pick up sounds from behind it. It has a directional pattern, so you can isolate the instrument more.

Absolutely necessary for live work. Can you imagine a figure-8 for a drum OH?..
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)