I sweat when I play. A lot.

Should I stick with a glossy neck or go to a sanded/raw neck?

cheers
oil finish.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
well the gloss will wear off eventually, but the sweat might damage the wood. id go with a natural finish, just plug up the pores, but dont gloss it over.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by the humanity
oil finish.

and lotsa sweat wouldn't hurt the wood at all? Would I have to start wiping down the neck every time after use with the raw/oiled neck?
You can reduce the gloss of the neck, without removing the clear coat and therefore maintaining protection of the wood.

Try using a Scotch Pad (green washing up pad) on the neck.

Makes it silky smooth, but still protected.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK
You can reduce the gloss of the neck, without removing the clear coat and therefore maintaining protection of the wood.

Try using a Scotch Pad (green washing up pad) on the neck.

Makes it silky smooth, but still protected.

THIS!!!

Exactly what I do on all my necks.
Best way to go.
The sweat does make it glossy after a while. I just "sand" it before each long guitar session.
Quote by Evil_Magician
THIS!!!

Exactly what I do on all my necks.
Best way to go.
The sweat does make it glossy after a while. I just "sand" it before each long guitar session.

Actually. It isn't so much the clear coat that causes the problem.

It's because the clear coat is bumpy. If you wet sanded the clear coat to remove the orange peel (the bumps), then buffed it up, it would be like glass and shiny too.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
I like maple necks with a thin satin finish. I always thought it slides faster than any glossy painted finish. you can hit it with the plastic dish washing pads. thicker paint needs steel wool. the finer the better. after you get down to the wood, the leftover paint is basically a pore filer.

BTW I really like the feel of a real 59 LP that has been played till the finish was rubbed off by human hands. nothing can match the smoothness of wood thats had natural oils from your hand over time.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
If you sweat alot you do not want bare wood.

Take some 0000 steel wool and rub down the back of your neck until you get a satin finish (start with 0000 grade, if it is still to glossy move to 000 grade).

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
heres a trick for ya. dont sand anything. use a little baby powder on your neck hand stops the neck from getting sticky and keeps your hand dry.. .....