Okay, I know the pit isn't the best place to ask this, but I need some help with my dog. For about a year now, my dog has been having these odd spasms. His back and his mucles tense up, and he starts shaking. He shakes like this for about five- ten minutes. He drools and whines, and I can tell he's in pain. It's sort of like he's having a seizure, but he remains conscious. All I can do is make sure he doesn't fall off of anything, and talk to him, since that seems to calm him a little. Does anyone who knows anything about dogs know what this could be? He swallowed a bottle of muscle relaxers a year or two ago (completely accidental), but the vet didn't notice any problems afterwards.

I know the obvious and best thing to do is take him to the vet. I've told my mom and step-dad this multiple times, but for whatever reason they have at the time, they won't, so there isn't anything else I can do towards that. I'm still trying to get them to take him, so hopefully they will soon. He has these spasms about once a month. I think they may be muscle spasms, maybe caused by a back problem. If anyone knows what this could be, or knows what I could do to help him, or even knows a better place to ask, I would really appreciate it.
hmm...next time he does this, take a video of it and then show it to your vet
or post the video in an animal forum, they might know how to help

to me it sounds like he's having seizures...but what do I know?
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I have no camera, but good idea if I can get ahold of one from somewhere.

And no, he's a basset hound/ beagle mix.

Quote by Le_Bunny
The answer is simple.

Kill your parents.

Nah, that'll get me nowhere.
Last edited by BoxCarMothra at Jun 28, 2009,
I hope your doggy is ok. I just lost my cat in december and still cannot get over it. My mistake was not taking him to the vet early enough. Please don't do the same.
Take him to the vet yourself.
Carry him.
Get a friend to take you.

GET OFF YOUR ASS is what I'm trying to say...
Quote by insideac
I hope your doggy is ok. I just lost my cat in december and still cannot get over it. My mistake was not taking him to the vet early enough. Please don't do the same.

Me too. Sorry to hear about your cat. I'm trying not to.

Quote by blackflag49
Carry him.

I really can't carry him to the vet. I know he needs to go, but there's no way for me to take him. It also takes money to pay for a vet, and I have none. I'm still trying to get my parents to take him.
Quote by blackflag49
Carry him.

Vets are expensive bro.

Sorry man. Good luck with your dog. It does sound like a seizure though.
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
Try to ask some of your relatives. Grandparents would be the best bet though, they love any sort of contact with people.
Quote by Le_Bunny
The answer is simple.

Kill your parents.

nice. before i scrolled down i guessed what the answer might be. you have exceeded my expectations.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Brownie2
Try to ask some of your relatives. Grandparents would be the best bet though, they love any sort of contact with people.

My only grandparent that lives here can't drive. My sister can drive, but she wouldn't take me. She doesn't like him, and she's not very compassionate for animals.

Quote by blackflag49
If there are any Humane Society places around you, they're usually a lot less expensive.

I'll look for a number tomorrow, I think there is one in the county.
sounds like a seizure..my dog has them every few months..

and ur parents are lame for not doing anything about it.
Quote by nikki82
sounds like a seizure..my dog has them every few months..

and ur parents are lame for not doing anything about it.

Yeah, they are. They say they don't have the money, or that the vet wouldn't know what to do, or blah blah we're too lazy, to sum it up.

Quote by ifeastonbums
Vets are expensive bro.

Sorry man. Good luck with your dog. It does sound like a seizure though.

Thanks. It may be, but it doesn't seem like it. We had another dog who used to have seizures, and they didn't look like what this one does.
i think it's a pretty common thing with dogs like that, having longer backs. my dachshund got a similar thing a few months ago after jumping off my bed, but it was pretty short and hasn't happened since then. try and keep him from jumping a lot.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
Quote by BoxCarMothra
Okay, I know the pit isn't the best place to ask this, but I need some help with my dog. For about a year now, my dog has been having these odd spasms. His back and his mucles tense up, and he starts shaking. He shakes like this for about five- ten minutes. He drools and whines, and I can tell he's in pain. It's sort of like he's having a seizure, but he remains conscious. All I can do is make sure he doesn't fall off of anything, and talk to him, since that seems to calm him a little. Does anyone who knows anything about dogs know what this could be? He swallowed a bottle of muscle relaxers a year or two ago (completely accidental), but the vet didn't notice any problems afterwards.

I know the obvious and best thing to do is take him to the vet. I've told my mom and step-dad this multiple times, but for whatever reason they have at the time, they won't, so there isn't anything else I can do towards that. I'm still trying to get them to take him, so hopefully they will soon. He has these spasms about once a month. I think they may be muscle spasms, maybe caused by a back problem. If anyone knows what this could be, or knows what I could do to help him, or even knows a better place to ask, I would really appreciate it.

The only thing you could do is take him to a vet. If your mom and step-dad refuse to do this, they have no business having a dog.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
We bought him one of those little stairs to get on the couch with, that's really the only jumping he does, but that hasn't seemed to stop it.

And I know the only thing I could do to help him is get him to a vet, I'm just asking to see if anyone knows what it could be or if they've had something similiar happen.
Are you sure he's not just dreaming? If not, why not just bring to the vet yourself?
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Your dog is having seizures and is going to die if you do not take him to the vet.

Take him NOW. He will most likely be put on a medication.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
i dont mean to be the bearer of bad news but your dog is having seizures.

i have a pure bread golden retriever who has had them one and off since he was 2 or 3. i took my dog to the vet and the veterinarian gave us meds for my dog to take to keep the seizures under control (which they do) unfortunately there is no real solution to stop the seizures. the pills they give make your dog sleep all the time and my dog gained weight and was hardly his former self, i took him off the pills cause he was miserable on them.

i dont think there is anything that can be done. your dog like mine will probably have them on and off until his death.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Could be Beagle Pain Syndrome

Maybe...

Or epilepsy
eMarried on UG to Brodie337 31/3/2009
I love you =]

Originally posted by Jabman

The proper way to clean up ROFL is to grab a bucket full of STFU and splash it around the area. If any ROFL is left, use a bit of GTFO, that should do the trick.
Quote by Spike6sic6
Are you sure he's not just dreaming? If not, why not just bring to the vet yourself?

He isn't asleep, and I can't drive.

Quote by Fenderhippie69
i dont mean to be the bearer of bad news but your dog is having seizures.

i have a pure bread golden retriever who has had them one and off since he was 2 or 3. i took my dog to the vet and the veterinarian gave us meds for my dog to take to keep the seizures under control (which they do) unfortunately there is no real solution to stop the seizures. the pills they give make your dog sleep all the time and my dog gained weight and was hardly his former self, i took him off the pills cause he was miserable on them.

i dont think there is anything that can be done. your dog like mine will probably have them on and off until his death.

Thanks. If that's the case, it would be better for him not to take them. Sorry about your dog.
Quote by lacedoilee
Could be Beagle Pain Syndrome

Maybe...

Or epilepsy

Is that an actual syndrome?
Quote by BoxCarMothra
Is that an actual syndrome?

Yes, it is

http://www.geocities.com/aladarbeagles/beaglepain.html
I love you =]

The proper way to clean up ROFL is to grab a bucket full of STFU and splash it around the area. If any ROFL is left, use a bit of GTFO, that should do the trick.
Quote by BoxCarMothra
He isn't asleep, and I can't drive.

Can't your dog walk? You don't necessarly need to drive. You could just walk there with your dog.

Unless you don't care about your dog, really.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by BoxCarMothra
Thanks. If that's the case, it would be better for him not to take them. Sorry about your dog.

your welcome.

is your dog a pure bread?
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Quote by Fenderhippie69
your welcome.

He's a dog, not Bread
I love you =]

Quote by Fenderhippie69
your welcome.

No.

Quote by lacedoilee

The only symptoms of that he has are the muscle spasms and the shaking that I'm aware of. I'll look into it though.

Quote by Spike6sic6
Can't your dog walk? You don't necessarly need to drive. You could just walk there with your dog.

Unless you don't care about your dog, really.

I can't walk him to the vet, it's way too far from my house. Don't be an ass, I do care about my dog.
My dog didn't gain any weight and he is just as active as he was before the medication.

He takes uhh (goes to kitchen to find bottle) Phenobarbital (ololo it is a barbiturate)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
My dog didn't gain any weight and he is just as active as he was before the medication.

He takes uhh (goes to kitchen to find bottle) Phenobarbital (ololo it is a barbiturate)

It's probably different for different dogs then. Thanks everyone who gave me any info. I guess now all I have to do is find him a ride to the vet and some money and get him some medication or treatment.
If your parents refuse to take him to the vet, this is neglect and they could go to prison for that.

Get your poor dog to the freaking vet, now!
How old is your dog?

If he is old, it's something called Old Dog Vestibular Disease. What happens is that the dog starts having seizures, and if not properly medicated the dog will die for not being treated.

Get your dog to the vet now.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by shadesofanger
How old is your dog?

If he is old, it's something called Old Dog Vestibular Disease. What happens is that the dog starts having seizures, and if not properly medicated the dog will die for not being treated.

Get your dog to the vet now.

He's pretty young. 2 or 3 years.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If your parents refuse to take him to the vet, this is neglect and they could go to prison for that.

Get your poor dog to the freaking vet, now!

They really don't have the money right now. That's not the point of this, anyway. I know he needs to go to the vet, I get it. I can't get him there yet but I am working on it. I just needed to know if anyone knew what it could be or if this had happened to their dog.

Quote by batman187
My dog humps me.

And it's a girl.

Hump her back?
Last edited by BoxCarMothra at Jun 29, 2009,
Similar thing happened to our basset, it's common for bassets/beagles having problems with their legs. Especially males, we solved it by going to the vet and then we got some pills for him and he actually got better. Sounds like it's the same thing for your dog going on, hope it's nothing more "serious", good luck!
Quote by Yahonataen
Similar thing happened to our basset, it's common for bassets/beagles having problems with their legs. Especially males, we solved it by going to the vet and then we got some pills for him and he actually got better. Sounds like it's the same thing for your dog going on, hope it's nothing more "serious", good luck!

Thanks. I've heard problems with their legs and back are common for them, so that could be it.