What are some cool pedals that give some crazy sounds. By crazy I mean stuffy like the Zvex ringtone.

http://media.zvex.com/FLASH/RINGTONE/

It is $300 or so though, any cheaper pedals out there that can do cool things like that?

All I have is distortion, fuzz, od, flanger, delay, and wah.

Btw, does anyone know what pedal or pedals Omar Rodriguez uses (Mars Volta, At the drive-in) to get that cool digital sounding tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpqM0PzwAGs

around 4:15 in that video.

Any cool stuff out there?
I like to mainly just push my pedals over the top to get some crazy sounds, experiment with pushing things to the max etc, you can put your delay's intensity to full so it starts to oscillate then change the rate and the pitch will change thats quite cool. With flange you should be able to do some pretty cool things also.

One thing I found out yesterday jamming with my friend is that if I made my amp produce feedback (the screechy 'I've got single coil pickups so I'm just gonna scream at you' kind of feedback) and wah'd at the same time I could create this mental sound and control the pitch of it with the wah, the closest thing I can relate it to would be the Zvex fuzz probe.
Omar Rodriguez uses a line6 M13 stompbox modeller for his effects. It has like 80 different stompboxes in the one unit that you can program in and it saves them as if they were the actual pedals.

For cool effects I'd say look into synth pedals. (The ZVex ringtone is a synth pedal).

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Get a copicat Gold despite it being £650
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Catalinbread Teaser Stallion can create some bizarre lo-fi synth and oscillation sounds. There's also some very easy mods for the DS-1 (moving one or two wires) that can turn it into a grungy lo-fi 'synth' pedal.

red witch fuzz god
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Get a really basic, cheap pedal, & circuit bend it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Get a chorus pedal.Great strange sounds to be garnered there.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Bassist Rising
Omar Rodriguez uses a line6 M13 stompbox modeller for his effects. It has like 80 different stompboxes in the one unit that you can program in and it saves them as if they were the actual pedals.

For cool effects I'd say look into synth pedals. (The ZVex ringtone is a synth pedal).

The Ringtone is a ring modulator, not a synth and Omar Rodriguez-Lopez does not use a M13. His setup is detailed here. http://guitargeek.com/chat/showthread.php?t=39155

Omar uses a Moog Moogerfrooger Ring Modulator. I'll see if I can find a cheap ring mod and get back to you.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by kyle62
Catalinbread Teaser Stallion can create some bizarre lo-fi synth and oscillation sounds. There's also some very easy mods for the DS-1 (moving one or two wires) that can turn it into a grungy lo-fi 'synth' pedal.

whats the name of that mod?
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Quote by mmolteratx
The Ringtone is a ring modulator, not a synth

Well it is, cause a ring modulator has an oscilliator inside it wich pretty much makes it a synth
digitech whammy?
Fender American Deluxe Strat, Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry, Adam Black S5ce

Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack, Keeley BD-2, Proco Vintage Rat, MXR Script Phase 90, Danelectro Chorus, Marshall Echohead

Peavey Classic 30
Quote by forstringwonder
whats the name of that mod?

It's cricuit bending. There isn't one particular bend, there many that you can do. Read up on circuit bending.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.