I'm trying to get my vocals to sound like they're coming from a practice amp with some distortion and a lot of reverb at a loud volume. So far I've been using a digitech RP50 guitar pedal into PAs and I can't get it loud enough live with out feedback. I play with the stage monitors turned off which helps. These are some solutions I've come across:

Using a green bullet or harp microphone

A megaphone (I rather not though)

Modifying a carbon mic on a phone receiver to plug into the PA

Using an Audix OM5 which "is capable of producing high-quality sound at very high SPLs without distortion or feedback"

A Digitech Vocal 300

A Berenger Shark feedback eliminator

I've tried running the effects into a practice amp and micing it with the PA and still got feedback.

I sing at a low speaking volume. The mic will be mounded on a stand, since I also play guitar. I also wanna stay away from something electronic sounding like a vocoder. I'm not looking to buy a rack unit either. Thanks.
get a digitech vocalist.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

It seems like their built for vocal harmonies which I have no interest in.
the digitech vocalist (the live one i think) that i tried out when my band did battle of the bands last year was a guitar and vocalist effects processor, aswell as a harmonizer and a voice/guitar tuner =]

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Its a bit much for a few vocal effects, but you could get the Line6 Pod X3 Live. You can use it as 2 different rigs at the same time in 1 floor unit. So you could sing and the guitarist/bassist could use it as well.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
From what I understand about the vocalist units,

They create vocal harmonies based on the guitar chords you play though them. They have reverb EQ and compression built it. Were you able to get distortion singing at low volumes without feedback? The Vocal 300 seems like it was built for this kind of thing but I'm wondering if one of the other solutions I listed would work as well.
To Bassist Rising:

Why the POD X3 specifically? There are a million multi-effects pedals, why this one? Have you used it with vocals before?
Run a Bad Monkey into the PA effects loop (using the pedal's DI output) with a fair bit of gain and the bass rolled right off. Use long leads so you can stick it at your feet with your other pedals and switch the effect on/off. You can control how much effect there is with the effects mix on the PA head.
Again, why the Bad Monkey? What does it offer for vocals over other pedals? One thing I should mention, most venues we play only have a DI box on stage. The sound board is often on the other end of the room, so it can't run though an effects loop on the mixer.
Quote by mzo
Again, why the Bad Monkey? What does it offer for vocals over other pedals? One thing I should mention, most venues we play only have a DI box on stage. The sound board is often on the other end of the room, so it can't run though an effects loop on the mixer.

I mentioned it only because it has the two-band EQ, which means you can roll off the bass. Any dirt pedal with separate EQs would work fine, the Bad Monkey is frequently recommended because it happens to be dirt cheap

The crucial bit though, is running any pedals through the FX loop for more control. It also avoid you having to use 1/4 jacks instead of balanced XLR for your mics.
If I ran the mic into a separate mixer, added effects through the loop and send the output to the house mixer, would that also work?
Okay, I tried using the effects loop of the PA and I'm getting as much feedback as before. Any other ideas?
Last edited by mzo at Jun 28, 2009,
not sure what you can do about the reverb, but I think the Ibanez LF-7 might do what you're looking for. It's supposed to make it sound like the instrument (guitar, bass, or vocals) you're playing through it sounds like it's from a megaphone.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ToneLok-LF7-Lo-Fi-Filter-Pedal?sku=150233#new
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Microphone + distortion = mad feedback.
Invest in a noise gate.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Cool thanks. The LF7 says it does vocals, but I'm a little skeptical since I haven't been able to find any reviews from someone whose used it like that.

STABxYOU, are there any noise gates you recommend?
I don't have any experience with noise gates/noise reducers. I use my Pocket POD for all my industrial vocals needs, it has a NG built in. I'm just remembering from my earliest attempts at industrial, using my practise amp's distortion sounded cool but it was impossible to not get feedback.

The LF-7 is essentially EQing, it reduces the low and high end and possibly compresses and or distorts. I think a Pocket POD might actually be the cheapest way to get everything you're looking for.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Jun 28, 2009,