I just got done giving my Epi G-400 Goth a sweet new look. I got it because guitar center screwed me over when I was just a wee lad buying my first electric. So when I caught them screwing me over, they upgraded the used 310 they sold me for 300 dollars, to a G-400 Goth. But I've always held in my mind that it was just a little too metal for my tastes so This week, after four or so years, I've gotten around to changing things up.

Everything that I could take off is white. the pickguard, thing between pickup ring and neck, and truss rod cover I had to make myself because I wanted to keep those stock parts stock in case I ever wanted to go back. I woulda made a new stop bar if that would have been reasonable, but its not so I painted it. The metal I made the pickguard already had the holes in it, so it wasn't really my choice, but I think I like it in the end.

^close up of the body, much better quality but huge when I tried to show it, so its a link.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Last edited by Lt.DanHasLegs at Jun 28, 2009,
it was obviously a mistake, I deleted the old one, sorry and thank you for being a rule nazi
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Looks cool. I have a Goth Explorer and I now hate it, but rather than mod it I'm just selling it lol Yours looks good though, makes a big difference. But does it sound any different?
R.I.P. Lester William Polsfuss June 9, 1915–August 13, 2009
Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Quote by Kensai
I'm a good person and I never meet any pretty girls who loves jesus
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
it was obviously a mistake, I deleted the old one, sorry and thank you for being a rule nazi

no worries
Quote by guitarcam123
no worries

dangit... your polite reply makes me feel bad for being a bit of a dick... sorry . But I've got a SD JB in the bridge and some "Gibson" pickup in the neck.. I"m not sure if it is though cause it was dirt cheap from ebay, it doesn't say Gibson on the bottom, but it seems quality and it sounds great to my ears. So the only thing stock about it now is the playability, which I can't complain much about.

Anyone know something I could do about the playability? Not horrible, but still epiphone.

Edit:

Quote by The_Casinator
Playability is something that isn't easy to improve. Maybe some tweaking by a pro will make a difference.

Thats what I figured, but I can live with it as is. Thanks for the compliments.
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
dangit... your polite reply makes me feel bad for being a bit of a dick... sorry . But I've got a SD JB in the bridge and some "Gibson" pickup in the neck.. I"m not sure if it is though cause it was dirt cheap from ebay, it doesn't say Gibson on the bottom, but it seems quality and it sounds great to my ears. So the only thing stock about it now is the playability, which I can't complain much about.

Anyone know something I could do about the playability? Not horrible, but still epiphone.

Playability is something that isn't easy to improve. Maybe some tweaking by a pro will make a difference.
man that looks great, I especially like the pickguard. Good job and nice mods!
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by guitarcam123
what don't you like about it playability wise? What would you like to improve

Nothing specifically... but I can say that it does feel like an epiphone and not a gibson or higher end fender... but meh, the only thing I could really do is change the neck or something which obviously isn't worth it...

I'm tinkering with the idea of a new nut though. The stock one's plastic and a new one couldn't hurt thats for sure, might be worth it considering the visual effort I've put into it.

Edit: what do you guys think of the truss rod cover? thats something I've changed three or four times and I'm not sure I"m totally satisfied with it. You can't really tell, but its just a little crooked
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
brass is a really good nut material for sustain and tone. You may want to get a refret too.

You can always upgrade the hardware too.
Quote by guitarcam123
brass is a really good nut material for sustain and tone. You may want to get a refret too.

You can always upgrade the hardware too.

If I can get a black or white brass I just might. But I'm gonna change the hardware after I spent all night painting it! ha! Literally all night, but thats mostly cause I slept till 2:30 PM and didn't have anything better to do last night.

The bridge seems pretty solid, and the tuners aren't the cheapo's that come on some epi's so I guess a new nut's about all there is to go with from here.
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
...yeah... however, I've got lots and lots of clear coat on it.. and its the same treatment I did to the pickguard which has survived... probably ten hours of playing so far because I did that first a couple days ago... I'm hopeful that it'll stay pretty well, the pickup selector hasn't faded yet and I use it lots to mute my guitar cause my neck pickup is normally off.. I think it'll hold up.

So Brass Nuts? Anyone got a suggestion for the truss rod cover? Anyone know if I can get that, "rhythm, Trebel" label off the selector without making anything ugly? I've always hated that, its bridge and neck!
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai
+1 for having a nut installed and a complete setup by a good luthier. by playability I assume you mean the action right? hows the intonation?
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by fullsailstudent
+1 for having a nut installed and a complete setup by a good luthier. by playability I assume you mean the action right? hows the intonation?

eehh, not really the action, I mean, I know how to raise and lower it.. I guess just the feel, the overall easiness to play it.. If that makes sense. Kind of a low action without fret buzz makes sense.

The intonation is decent, its been a while since I've messed with it but I think I got it right and left it and I havn't heard any problems so I think it can stay how it is. Guess I'm going nut shopping today!
Quote by Strato-Massacre

Quote by Kensai