I'm going to buy a new guitar and since i don't have a lot of money I was thinking about a cheap guitar for around $300 - $400. I'm really digging Jimi Hendrix and that's what kinda sound I want to get. I'm thinking about getting a Squier Classic Vibe 60's or 50's. But there are more Strat copy's out there. What about the MIM, I don't mind spending a little more if it's a lot better.

Thanks

Current weaponry:

cheap Strat copy
cheap acoustic guitar
Vox AD50VT + footswitch :P
Last edited by Kayo3000 at Jul 2, 2009,
The Vintage Modified series are astonishing for their price range, and arguably better than MIM Fenders. Give one a try at your local music shop.
I say vintage modified

Just try both out though, squiers are, even though the quality got way better, still hit and miss
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Try a few guitars out and see what you think. I have a Squier Tele custom II and a MIM Strat I enjoy playing both but the MIM strat is the better quality guitar. Nothing at all wrong with the Squier but you can tell the difference. The trick is to choose the right guitar for you and make sure it is setup the way you like to play. A well setup Squier will play better than a badly setup Fender.
So... The overall quality of the guitars CV, VM and MIM is kinda equal, the MIM being a slightly better quality guitar. So I just just try them out and check which one feels and sounds the best to me :P
Quote by Kayo3000
So... The overall quality of the guitars CV, VM and MIM is kinda equal, the MIM being a slightly better quality guitar. So I just just try them out and check which one feels and sounds the best to me :P

well it's pretty much hard to say if they don't put out quality instruments all the time that said yes it's best to try each one out and see which one you prefer
Quote by Kayo3000

Thats right the main thing is finding the right guitar for you. Try a few in your price range and see what you like. For me the choice is about how it looks, how it plays and what it sounds like
Thanks guys and thankyou Capitalism...
Last edited by Kayo3000 at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by azn_guitarist25
you could easily afford a decent second hand mim strat for that amount of money

Definitely go for a used MIM strat.
Quote by mamosa
Definitely go for a used MIM strat.

I dunno, i've read that a MIM strat is better made, but has cheap (sounding) pickups, compared to Squier CV.
Last edited by Kayo3000 at Jul 3, 2009,
Vintage Modified are utterly ****. I had one and it was one of the grottiest piles of ****e I've ever had the misfortune to use.

On the other hand, the Classic Vibe series are fantastic guitars for the money. I know several people who use the CV Strats and Teles for gigging, without any modifications to the guitars.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I've tried the Classic Vibe Squier Strat, and I liked the tone very much, BUT they've used a very cheap varnish on the neck that is shiny and won't wear out and it feels like someone had spilt maple sirup on the neck, and when I wanted to play the intro to Little Wing, my hand was stuck at the first notes lol (sliding from the 12th fret all the way up). It's even worse when your hands are a little sweaty.

I also tried a MIM Strat, don't remember the series, it was made to look worn out (ie rusty pickup magnets, screws, 'damaged' paint job.) It was a lot more expensive, but I didn't really see a difference in tone and actually liked the Squier better, but the MIM had a better neck lol. So Í still don't know
i'd take a classic vibe strat over a MIM strat anyday, unless it's an older MIM. every MIM standard series fender made since 2006 that i've played has felt like crap to play. Never seen a bad classic vibe model, the quality control seems to be quite good!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
i'd take a classic vibe strat over a MIM strat anyday, unless it's an older MIM. every MIM standard series fender made since 2006 that i've played has felt like crap to play. Never seen a bad classic vibe model, the quality control seems to be quite good!

What about the bad varnish on the neck? Feels like **** to me, but the rest of the guitar is really good. Btw, is it possible to maybe get rid of the varnish with sandpaper, or would the guitar just look like crap?
Quote by Kayo3000
What about the bad varnish on the neck? Feels like **** to me, but the rest of the guitar is really good. Btw, is it possible to maybe get rid of the varnish with sandpaper, or would the guitar just look like crap?

well if you're not confident sanding it down you could always get the laquer stripped properly.. although it's so thick it would probably make the neck not fit in the neck pocket properly i must've missed the post you made right above mine..

The MIM standards from around 2002 had nicer, thinner laquer on the necks, and you could probably find one from this "era" pretty cheap - mine cost me £240 which is what a classic vibe costs over here, and it's certainly better built than a classic vibe - it's only shortfall is the stock pickups which are tonally a bit bland. Also what i said in my post was entirely opinion - i don't like the newer MIMs with the un-laquered necks even though i love the un-laquered necks on the low end squiers. But you might like them. The road worn series may be entirely different to the MIM standard series that i'm talking about though.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
How does the Fender Classic Player '50s stratocater, Mexico, compare to the other MIM strats?

Edit: nvm, i'm going for a second hand fender std. American Strat (2002). costs just as much as the MIM Strats.
Last edited by Kayo3000 at Jul 8, 2009,