When I kcrank up my amp (I play in drop C with the gain about 7 out of 10 and the volume also about 7 out of 10 on my hughes and kettner tube 50 with a tele so it's a 50w amp and I have to krank it up this way in rehearsels and small concerts with no p.a.) my cab with original greenbacks sounds really weird. It's like the amp loses definition, you can just hear lots of mids and palm mutes sound really bad. I have no idea why the cab sounds this way and it doesn't at lower volumes.
Is this because the cab is made more for classic rock kind of stuff, I play post-rock and doom kind of things?
Or is there something wrong with the speakers?
Please help out!

cheers
Last edited by henis at Jun 28, 2009,
i believe you amp is saying you need a dictionary, krank? really?

anyways, just because an amp can go to 10 doesn't need it will sound good there, most amps have a "sweet spot" for playing the best. you just need to turn it down and mic it.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by conor1148
i believe you amp is saying you need a dictionary, krank? really?

anyways, just because an amp can go to 10 doesn't need it will sound good there, most amps have a "sweet spot" for playing the best. you just need to turn it down and mic it.

Well, I just have the cab for a few days, but I'll try a few things out but it just sounds wierd and it sounds perfect on lower volumes.
if your cab/speakers are new, you need to break in the speakers. don't crank your amp too high because you can destroy your cones if you do.
You're getting a load of speaker distortion. 50w into a 50w cab + too much bass = speaker distortion. You should really get some higher rated speakers if you're going to tube that low and play that loud. You may blow the speakers if you keep using them this way.
The cab is 30 years old, so I don't think they will need playing in.
I think I'll try a marshall 1960 b and buy one like everyone else.
That, my friend, is the effect of having your bass and gain too high. Turn your bass down and your gain (turn the gain down one notch, and the bass down about 3, while turning your mids up by at least two notches). And turn your volume down to about halfway. 50 watts is fine for live performance, but if your drummer doesn't know how to tip tap then you need to tell him to quiet down some or get a new drummer.

And if you like the sound of those speakers at low volumes, then get a pair of Eminence Private Jacks. They're 50 watt versions of the Greenbacks, so they can handle some extra volume pumped through them (more headroom) and they're louder (higher dB rating.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jun 28, 2009,
I'll take a look at the speakers, it could very well be the gain and the bass allthough if i turn the bass less than 12 o clock and the bass to, it still sounds a bit like this.
well, normaly the tele sounds quite fat and I'm also putting in a hot rail in the bridge, the problem is still there when i put the gain about 4