So I can't afford a JSX, but I'm in love with Satch's tone. I play a lot of Satriani with my friends, so it'd be awesome to have his signature sound. Anyone have any tips on how to get Satch's tone without a JSX? They're just too spendy. I played the Peavey Vypyr JSX model and that sounded ok, but maybe a Satchurator through a tube amp would sound better?
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
try a Satchurator through the clean channel of a Valveking. it might get what you're looking for, and i'm curious myself to see how it sounds.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Satch only uses the Clean channel of the JSX, he uses the Satchurator for most of his stuff.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I didn't like the satchurator too much myself.
For his distortion tone, I'd reccomend getting a Keeley DS-1 and an EQ pedal. The DS-1 is used by Satch and Vai (some say satriani uses an MIJ boss rather than the keeley, i dunno..) and the EQ helps you imitate the characteristics of his rig (midrangey pickups and amp) and dial out any harshness you're getting out of the DS-1.

Effects to look at include delay, chorus, and wah.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Before Satriani used the JSX, he used the second channel of a Triple XXX. And before THAT even, he used a Marshall 6100. Try to find either of these used.

If you want to go possibly a bit cheaper, look for a used JCM800 and boost it with a Keeley modded DS-1.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
The JSX sounds really good when you first use it, but then you plug into another amp, and realize how fake the distortion sounds. Didnt really sound anything like the record. I mean, it's obviously not gonne be exact, but the thing sounded like a spider to me?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
The JSX sounds really good when you first use it, but then you plug into another amp, and realize how fake the distortion sounds. Didnt really sound anything like the record. I mean, it's obviously not gonne be exact, but the thing sounded like a spider to me?

+1 for actually having played an amp you're giving an opinion on.
Quote by dcdossett65

there might be something wrong with the JSX..
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I think he meant the Vypyr JSX model.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Satch isn't even using the JSX any more, and he still sounds like Satch! Almost all of his recordings are using Marshalls.

So grab pretty much any Marshall from the JCM series, set it up for a very light crunch, add a DS-1, and you're sorted.
Quote by Shinozoku
Before Satriani used the JSX, he used the second channel of a Triple XXX. And before THAT even, he used a Marshall 6100. Try to find either of these used.

Quote by kyle62
So grab pretty much any Marshall from the JCM series, set it up for a very light crunch, add a DS-1, and you're sorted.

From the sounds of things an old Valvestate would get you closer then a JCM. And it'll cost about as much as a distortion pedal. Valvestate ftw.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by guitarsftw
try a Satchurator through the clean channel of a Valveking. it might get what you're looking for, and i'm curious myself to see how it sounds.

Has anyone tried this? I was thinking this as well.

EDIT: I just found this YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt2wmmOUGLo and it shows him using a Satchurator and the small Valveking Royal-8 tube amp. It actually doesn't sound that bad, especially the setting he had right after he turned it on. I'm thinking this is the best route to go for Satch's tone without buying an expensive JCM.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Last edited by soul.power at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by soul.power
Has anyone tried this? I was thinking this as well.

EDIT: I just found this YouTube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt2wmmOUGLo and it shows him using a Satchurator and the small Valveking Royal-8 tube amp. It actually doesn't sound that bad, especially the setting he had right after he turned it on. I'm thinking this is the best route to go for Satch's tone without buying an expensive JCM.

Used JCM800: ~$500, maybe a tad more for a combo, and it has an amazing sound which will sound even better in live situations.
Used Boss DS-1: $15
Total: ~$520 with tone for days.
Peavey Valveking 8: $200, but has a tiny speaker which doesn't have the inherent warmth of a 12"er. Sure, you could spend another $300 on a good 1x12 cab with a Greenback for Satch's tone (the Randall MTS cab), but then the amp still costs roughly the same.
Vox Satchurator: $130.
Total (if you get the speaker cab): $630 and pretty good sound. Without the cab that's about $320-330 with a nasally little 8" speaker.

With the JCM you can gig later and get sounds that are your own as well, and gig confidently, not to mention the fact that you'll be better heard over other musicians in a band setting.

With the Valveking, you can jam in your room and make some decent recordings, but you'll still need to get something a bit more powerful for gigging later.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by Shinozoku
Used JCM800: ~$500, maybe a tad more for a combo, and it has an amazing sound which will sound even better in live situations.
Used Boss DS-1: $15
Total: ~$520 with tone for days.
Peavey Valveking 8: $200, but has a tiny speaker which doesn't have the inherent warmth of a 12"er. Sure, you could spend another $300 on a good 1x12 cab with a Greenback for Satch's tone (the Randall MTS cab), but then the amp still costs roughly the same.
Vox Satchurator: $130.
Total (if you get the speaker cab): $630 and pretty good sound. Without the cab that's about $320-330 with a nasally little 8" speaker.

With the JCM you can gig later and get sounds that are your own as well, and gig confidently, not to mention the fact that you'll be better heard over other musicians in a band setting.

With the Valveking, you can jam in your room and make some decent recordings, but you'll still need to get something a bit more powerful for gigging later.

I was going to get a ValveKing 112 because I could use it for bedroom use and for gigging. 50W is more than enough wattage for just gigging locally around town.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
^^It's going to be pretty hard to find an 800 for $500 though.

Quote by dcdossett65

Really? The JSX is my favorite Peavey amp

Quote by soul.power
I was going to get a ValveKing 112 because I could use it for bedroom use and for gigging. 50W is more than enough wattage for just gigging locally around town.

There's 50W 800s... Even so, the difference in volume between 100W and 50W isn't very noticable.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw
^It's going to be pretty hard to find an 800 for $500 though.

Really? The JSX is my favorite Peavey amp

He's referring to the JSX model on the Vypyr.

I agree, the JSX is the most amazing Peavey ever !

I couldn't find a JCM 800 head for less than 800 bucks. I found a 100W 2x12 combo for 600 that looked promising, but it seems like it'd be too loud for bedroom use.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Last edited by soul.power at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by soul.power
He's referring to the JSX model on the Vypyr.

He never said that anywhere in his post?

He says the JSX sounds nothing like the record, that to me sounds like he's referring to the real JSX.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
He never said that anywhere in his post?

He says the JSX sounds nothing like the record, that to me sounds like he's referring to the real JSX.

That's true... maybe he was talking about the real JSX. I figured since we were talking about the Vypyr, that he was referring to how it modeled the JSX.

Alrright, so now its between a Marshall JCM 800 100W combo amp and the Peavey Valveking 212 100W Combo amp. Which one?!
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by soul.power
That's true... maybe he was talking about the real JSX. I figured since we were talking about the Vypyr, that he was referring to how it modeled the JSX.

Alrright, so now its between a Marshall JCM 800 100W combo amp and the Peavey Valveking 212 100W Combo amp. Which one?!

Even at low volumes, the 800 will completely rape the VK in tone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Even at low volumes, the 800 will completely rape the VK in tone.

+1
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Peavey Revalver does a nice Peavey JSX imitation.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

I know you said the JSX was out of your range, but have you looked on ebay? They go pretty cheap on there.
Peavey JSX
Traynor YCV
Fender '68 Bassman
Jetter Gain Stage Red OD
MI Audio Crunch Box
Fulltone Choralflange
Fender Strat
Carvin 7 String
how could you survive with a 100W amp? itd murder your ears and you'll never get to crank it!
itd be a shame to never use an amp to its full tonal potential, i have my 30W vox AC30 and rarely crank it much at all! and its bloody loud, 100W's only benifit is headroom, but im sure you'd have plenty of headroom on a 50W or something. this way you can spend less but have a great tone still if you are on a budget!