So i am toying with the idea of making my own bass cab. I have been exhausting my google to find 100 watt rms 10 inch bass speakers but i havent found anything yet. If anyone could point me to a good website or give me a name of a brand that would be awesome. yes i am aware of the gear building thread...i posted in there too but they dont seem as eager to help as you guys. so i figured id post here too. you guys rock and thanks in advance for the suggestions.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Gear building forum is useless at bass amps

So how do you want to wire them? Once you know this you can narrow it down a lot
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
bluraran.co.uk for speakers and other hardware.

IMO unless your using quite good 10" speakers i would go for 2 12's or a 1x15. Ive made two cabs so far, its fairly easy, but still a really well made 1x15 will work alot better then a 4x10 anyday. Just something to think on.

Head over to basschat.co.uk and make a thread there, for my first cab Phil Star on UG kindly designed the cab for me, my second one i based on a EV606 1x15. Basschat has two professional cab builders over there and many other people who make them, and theyll be able to design a cab for you or give you a link to one already made very quickly.

Do you want a 4 or 8 ohm cab, if you want a 8 ohm get 4 8 ohm speakers if you want a 4 get 4 4 ohm speakers. Eminence or fane probably make the best speakers im guessing in a medium price range 50-100 euro's pounds.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Jun 28, 2009,
yeh i found some eminence basslite s2010 for 75, or the next model up for 90 something bucks. i decided to just get 150 watt speakers cause finding 100 watt ones made for a really small selection. I am looking for 8 ohms and as of now i am working with 4 eminence 150 watt 8 ohm speakers, an eminence apt-150 tweeter, and an eminence pxb2-3k5 crossover. Depending on money ill likely upgrade the 10" to the next ones up which would be the basslite ca2010. either way that setup is looking good to me.

right now im thinkin about my cabinet design and venting. i have some idea about porting and what not, but i could use some help

edit: i got the deminesions of the cabinet all worked out...math*sigh*

i am thinking about a 4 or 6 inch round port tube in the middle of the 4 10" speakers. now im wonderin about the tweeter. top or bottom? top i think would be heard easier over the 10 inchers, but bottom would reflect the sound off the floor and carry it. any thought?
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Last edited by bassman10101 at Jun 28, 2009,
OK you'll want a crossover that cross's at 2.5khz and no higher.

You'll want a cab no more than 200 liters big, i would advise something a bit smaller maybe 150liter-175 or so. I'm not sure how to work out the tuning but Phil star or members over on basschat can easily do it. Those speakers there look very good though.

Youll need very good bracing though, use 1" ply for the baffle and 1/2" for the sides back and top/bottom. I would use 3\4"x2" wood for the bracing and make the frame first.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
^ shouldnt the crossover match up with the tweeter at 3.5k Hz? and dont worry about the frame i got all that jazz figured out. just one last thing i need input on. tweeter position. got the port in the middle of the 4 speakers and the tweeter will be either on the top for the bottom.
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
I would have it more traditional and have the port on the bottom or the back, i presume your going for one round one or a long rectangular one. The tweeter would be better in the middle were it can produce top range better.

"You can get away with it, but you shouldn't. High frequency output from the woofer will have a different phase response than the tweeter, causing destructive interference, and the impedance of the cab above the HF corner frequency will be 4 ohms, not 8. Many cab manufacturers do use a high-pass only, not because it's the right way, but because it's the cheaper way. angry.gif
BTW, if you're adding a tweeter it should cross no higher than 2kHz with 12s, 2.5 Khz with 10s. Manufacturers usually go much higher, it's true, but as for why they do, see above."

not written by me^, but by bill fitz maurice, someone who knows too much.

But it should explain it well enough.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
damn ok. this **** is gettin priceyyyy. i have to make it for under 650 or else i can just buy the one i want. with the speakers i want, the tweeter, the crossover, bulding materials, porting, yadda yadda im almost to 580 or something like that. then man hours...i could finish it in 2 days for everything to dry and be ok to work with. yeh more cost effective to just buy one at this point. thanks for the help dude
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Well it was more cost effective for me to make my 1x15's, cost just over 100 euros in total which was great for a very high end speaker cab. But yes considering its coming that close probably best to get the one you actually want, but yet again think will it be as good as this one, which you could technically make a lot better sounding, better tuned, better response then the one you want.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
neh when i nearly have the money saved im sure youll see another thread haha right now its just an idea. soon i will have money and my trace head sitting in my lap and i will be thinking "hey, do i want a peavey tour 410? or do i want to put my soul into a box?" and knowing me ill either make one, or buy a realllly cheap 4x10 and mod the bitch 3 ways from sunday
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful