I been teaching myself for 7 months, and I never really play standing up. One time I tried to play guitar standing up and I felt I was curving my wrist too much to grab the neck. Do I have to raise the strap to make the guitar rise up until it feels comfortable. The only comfortable position is when the guitar is up to my chest. However, I think it looks pretty weird lol. What is the right way to hold your guitar when your standing up?

Oh yeah, I have another problem about standing up and playing. How do you palm mute the strings when standing up, especially the higher strings(like G, B, and e)?
The Beatles had it pretty high. Who cares how it looks? You don't have to be James Hetfield and play it at your ankles. Playing standing up isn't really that different than sitting down. Just make sure you feel comfortable. If you don't like it, keep practicing, and slowly lower the strap until you think you look cool.
Adjust the strap till you're comfortable with it. After a few days of practicing try lowering it, if wanted.
A lot of it just comes with time, but raising your strap should help. Play with it high at first then gradually lower it. As far as palm muting, I dont see why you cant just palm mute like normal/
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
posers have their guitars really low, proper musicians have them at a comfortable height.

whatever feels best to you, use that.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Quote by Baarmy_Sheep
posers have their guitars really low, proper musicians have them at a comfortable height.

whatever feels best to you, use that.

Posers..? Not really. Some of us (Cough me) are forced to have them low. For one, I can't play well unless my guitar is low enough so my long arms reach down. It's not SUPER low, but still, some of us have to keep it low to play well. I've tried rasing it up before(as a joke) and couldn't even play smoke on the water...
Quote by sacamano79
A lot of it just comes with time, but raising your strap should help. Play with it high at first then gradually lower it. As far as palm muting, I dont see why you cant just palm mute like normal/

Its because, when I try playing low, my arm can't reach the strings.
Okay, some guitars just look weird held high up under your chin. But there's nothing to stop you holding the neck high. Townshend used to do that if he was playing anything more complicated then A D or G. Even the more posie guys do similar when they're playing something flash. Ever see anyone do a tapping sequence with the guitar down low?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

exactly, if you look lead guitarists never have it at their knees, but a rhythm guitarist might. Look at the strap length difference with Kirk and James.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I suggest that for the next, say two weeks, only only practice standing until you become 100% comfortable. When you get comfortable with one strap position, move it down a little until its in the place you want it.
I play at hetfield low so im used to standing and playing.
Hey!Everyone!
Come and See how good I look!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar
practice is the answer to everything
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Jpboy1994
I been teaching myself for 7 months, and I never really play standing up. One time I tried to play guitar standing up and I felt I was curving my wrist too much to grab the neck. Do I have to raise the strap to make the guitar rise up until it feels comfortable. The only comfortable position is when the guitar is up to my chest. However, I think it looks pretty weird lol. What is the right way to hold your guitar when your standing up?

Oh yeah, I have another problem about standing up and playing. How do you palm mute the strings when standing up, especially the higher strings(like G, B, and e)?

keep practicing. I have been playing for a few months longer then you. and though i dont practice standing too much, i have started to alot more. When i first started standing up, it was probably one of the most akward things i have done. my fretting hand just didnt feel right anywhere, my strumming hand didnt feel right, everything felt ****ed up. i have started to get better, and now standing feels very normal. it just takes some getting used to. you cant sprint til you crawl, so just take it slow...it happened to all of us (well most of us)
Quote by mr gOiD
I suggest that for the next, say two weeks, only only practice standing until you become 100% comfortable. When you get comfortable with one strap position, move it down a little until its in the place you want it.
I play at hetfield low so im used to standing and playing.

when you get comfortable with one strap position, why not just keep it there? your guitar being low doesnt make you any better.
Have the strap wherever its comfortable - its cooler to play well and look a bit weird than to play badly. Then just play simple stuff standing up. As you get more comfortable with the instrument you'll probably find that playing standing up isn't such an issue.

If you're anything like me part of the problem at the moment is probably that you are looking at one of your hands most of the time, and sitting down you can hunch over the guitar and watch what you are doing. Standing up its harder to do this, so it feels unnatural. But songs that you know really well you might find you can play standing up if you get the strap to a comfortable length.
i've had this same problem... i've only been playing for about the same amount of time as you have. i've been practicing standing up for the past week with my guitar only a little lower than how it would be sitting. and already i'm beginning to adjust. just keep practicing.
Quote by StormLexer
Posers..? Not really. Some of us (Cough me) are forced to have them low. For one, I can't play well unless my guitar is low enough so my long arms reach down. It's not SUPER low, but still, some of us have to keep it low to play well. I've tried rasing it up before(as a joke) and couldn't even play smoke on the water...

I agree with you. I mean, i know a guy wo has a very loong fingers and arms, he can lower the guitar to the ground if he wants to and he'll still be comfortable enough to play.
Some people who held their guitars high:

The Beatles
Malcom Young and Angus Young
Joe Satriani (sometimes)
The bassist for Dave Matthews Band (he's a bassist, but still, he holds it like at his neck)

it doesn't matter where you hold your guitar, if you hold it high, maybe it will make you stand out more than everyone else (imagewise)
Tom Morello has his guitar fairly high up, but I think that's because he needs it there for his unconventional techniques.

It is easier the higher up, but it just takes practice being able to play standing up. I don't think I was able to play standing up the same as sitting down until a year and a half into playing.
if you want to shred standing up, oyu only have two choices:

1. have the guitar really high up.
2. Put your left leg up on a stand, an amp etc
ok, I don't shred, play fast, any of that crap, I'd rather play music than noise (holds flame shield up), if you want the same, play it at a height that's comfortable for you, no matter what it is... Because if you play lower or higher than needed, you'll get into bad habits... Seeing your problem, I'd put it up to chest height, and then lower it a little bit at a time until you can both play properly AND palm mute without problem... Lower it until you can do everything you want (both left and right hand) and that's the ideal height for you
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...