No, your guitar is going to explode.

Just joking.
It's just body heat. No harm done.
Unless you have some electronics wired up wrongly.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
why in the hell would a guitar overheat... just think about how rediculous that sounds.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
ive never felt my guitar body warm up, ive felt the neck warm up. but then again, back then i "vice-gripped handed" my neck, so of course it got hot.

yes i broke that habit
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
It is always body heat. The most powerful current in a guitar is a 9v battery for a pre-amp and that would die in seconds if it was causing any measurable heat.
My Cort is black satin and warms up a lot more than my gloss red Yamaha (could also be down to Mahogany v Alder)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by vigenharutyunya
well if it is wired up wrong it can....!!! guitar can even kill in some cases

BC Rich War-anythings are a perfect example of this.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
BC Rich War-anythings are a perfect example of this.

Everyone of those guitars looks like a medieval weapon

Check the wiring and take the back plate off while playing and see if you feel more heat. If you do, there could be a wiring problem.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by soul.power
Everyone of those guitars looks like a medieval weapon

Check the wiring and take the back plate off while playing and see if you feel more heat. If you do, there could be a wiring problem.

the mockingbirds dont look bad though. lol
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by vigenharutyunya
well if it is wired up wrong it can....!!! guitar can even kill in some cases

Sigged.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by CemetaryGates90
why in the hell would a guitar overheat... just think about how rediculous that sounds.

It's actually not ridiculous at all.... Do you know why laptops/computers get hot? Because of the wires. The energy passing through the wires gives off heat. Now for computers, to keep the cost down, they can't afford to shield the wires that well. On guitars, they try to. But if your wires are poorly shielded, that can result in both unwanted noise and heat. But it could definitely be body heat....
You might be able to heat up the entirety of the back of an electric guitar with a 9v. Maybe. But more likely it would burn the wood at the short point.

Without that situation being present though, you'd be hard pressed to heat up a guitar with the current produced by a passive pickup regardless of how you wired it. Want to know an easy way to test this? Touch the output jack. If you're guitar really was heating up, the metal there would be noticeably warm.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Quote by C/ruel
You might be able to heat up the entirety of the back of an electric guitar with a 9v. Maybe. But more likely it would burn the wood at the short point.

Without that situation being present though, you'd be hard pressed to heat up a guitar with the current produced by a passive pickup regardless of how you wired it. Want to know an easy way to test this? Touch the output jack. If you're guitar really was heating up, the metal there would be noticeably warm.

Depends where the wiring problem was. But with passives, there is more wires than with actives. So if the guitar is plugged in, you'd get more heat with passives. It isn't just the volume of energy passing through that causes heat, it's the amount of poorly shielded wire that does. With passives, there's more opportunity for the heat.
Like most people have said, it's most likely to just be body heat. Wood is far less conductive than plastic or metal, which is why it's only the backplates that are warmer while the rest of the guitar's body stays cool.
Quote by Buck Futter
Like most people have said, it's most likely to just be body heat. Wood is far less conductive than plastic or metal, which is why it's only the backplates that are warmer while the rest of the guitar's body stays cool.

Yea, probably this. How hot is it? Is it just warm, or If you stop playing it but leave it on, does it get hotter? Important questions.
Quote by mamosa
It's actually not ridiculous at all.... Do you know why laptops/computers get hot? Because of the wires. The energy passing through the wires gives off heat. Now for computers, to keep the cost down, they can't afford to shield the wires that well. On guitars, they try to. But if your wires are poorly shielded, that can result in both unwanted noise and heat. But it could definitely be body heat....

umm most of the heat generated by a computer is by ICs and components in the power supply, not wires. some processors emit in excess of 100w of heat. there is no way that you're going to produce that with passive electronics.