Hi all
I'm gonna get a Marshall 30W instead of my crappy Spider III and i'm looking for a Distortion or Overdrive pedal to go with it.
A friend of my got the boss DS-1, and we play together alot, so that's not an option.
I've got about 400 bucks overall,including for the amp.
I play mainly punk,alternative and hard rock and alittle bit grunge and metal.
+1

Save a bit more and get something like the bugera 333 combo.
Last edited by Meatball200 at Jun 28, 2009,
why would you buy an amp and not even use it's distortion? don't get the marshall, it sucks
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
so what should i get? i play alone at home or jam with friends, so there's no use for over 30 watts
solid state option: peavey vypyr
tube options: blackheart little giant combo
Gear:
PRS SE Custom
Takamine G Series Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Digitech RP 250

Quote by voodoochild23
The only time I'll dance is if Nickelback caught fire and no one helped.
blackstar ht-5 combo
Epiphone Les Paul Studio AW Ltd Run
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Harley Benton 2X12" (Celestion V 30s)
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive CO1
Marshall Reflector RF1
Digitech Hardwire HW DL 8 Delay/Looper
get a nice small tube amp man, im sure that for 400 bucks you can get one and it will prob kill that marshall any day. I got my laney LC 15-R and it sounds great , you can also consider the Laney VC 15 i don't know which other brands you can get there are so many. get a tube amp and you would never want to go back to solid state (i had previously a Roland cube and although for a practise amp its quite good , the tube amp just kills it in tone), if you cant find a new tube amp you can go 2nd hand 2.
I heard tube amps need caring/maitanence or somethin like that, so i don't know about a tube amp.
Anyway,how much does the Blackstar combo usually cost?Also,how much watts is the head/cabinet?
^ not really. You'll have to have the capacitors changed in 10 years and maybe replace a few tubes over the next 5 years, but that's about it.

Solid state may require no maintenance but if it breaks and it's not under warranty, you might as well toss it out - it'll cost almost as much as its worth to fix it.

The Blackstar is 5W, which is far different from solid state watts. A 5W amp cranked to 10 can still damage your hearing.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
The head or the whole set is 5w?And do they have good distortion?
Last edited by Firebirdz at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by Firebirdz
The head or the whole set is 5w?And does the blackstar has good distortion?

The head is 5W.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjADxog0Es

Skip to about 3 minutes in for the overdriven tone. 5:40 for the metal distortion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Firebirdz
should i get the head only?

The combo or the head should both do you fine. If you don't want to use a cab, they both have a headphone jack, so in that regard the head might be a cheaper option for you.

you say you can't get a ds-1 coz your friend uses one y does that matter...
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
^ Oh lord, please don't get a DS-1 unless it's an old one and it's been modded.

Get the Blackstar and push it with a good pedal. Job done.

It matters cause i play it pretty often, and i personaly don't like it, so i wanna get something diffrent
i'm still not sure if i should get this one or the Vypyr,any opinions?
Last edited by Firebirdz at Jun 28, 2009,
Definitely get this over the Vyper, IMO.

There's lots.

Bad Monkey or Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent OD on the cheap.

For more expensive stuff, Ibanez TS 9, Maxon OD 9, Fulltone OCD, Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive... there's literally dozens.

Quote by Firebirdz
It matters cause i play it pretty often, and i personaly don't like it, so i wanna get something diffrent

MIJ DS-2
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBB4iBLlDwk

It's this but it has sharper mids and deeper bass, sounds awsome.

Only can bought used though
My Gig Rig...

well if it's not used it not MIJ. But TBH a new one is pretty darn good anyway.
My Gig Rig...

get the blackstar ht-5 and a boost pedal

/thread
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Blackstar Ht-5, get it.

For an OD you really can't go wrong with a TS9, but you can get even better with something like the Keeley Mod Plus and thats what i'm getting
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
amp distortion >>>> pedal distortion. get the HT-5, and if you find it doesnt have enough preamp gain for you, get a decent low gain overdrive and put that on top of the amp's distortion to boost it.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I would personally go with the Blackstar over the Little Giant; I've played through both amps, and the Blackstar definitely has tone that is more suited to the genres you described.

Also, there really isn't a huge difference in price. The Blackstar mini stack is $399, and the Blackheart mini stack is $349. It's worth the extra fifty bucks to get better tone.

Oh, and I've been reading this thread and I'm not sure you understand; you can't just get a "head", you have to also get a "cab". Getting just a head would be like getting a CD player without speakers. Yes, it will read a CD, but it won't actually make any noise.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
Alright.
One thing i don't understand is why do they say show the head has 5W power if i can't hear it.
Anyway, it too expensive, as i think that when ill change the amp ill switch my fire bird to a les paul custom
Quote by Firebirdz
Alright.
One thing i don't understand is why do they say show the head has 5W power if i can't hear it.
Anyway, it too expensive, as i think that when ill change the amp ill switch my fire bird to a les paul custom

Because the head is capable of putting out 5 watts worth of "power output". So basically the sound it puts out is "worth" 5 watts, in a sense. That doesn't mean it actually plays the sound, just that it creates a signal with that rating, which then goes to the cabinet. When it comes to a head, you need to make sure the impedance and wattage of the cabinet are compatible with what your head puts out. You'll need to research that yourself.

Be careful, man, most people say you should spend at least as much for your amp as you do on your guitar. Since your amp creates most of your tone, not your guitar, you might even want to spend more on the amp. That's what I did and I've been more than happy with the arrangement. Just my two cents.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue