What do you have to achieve/learn at least to say that you know theory? thanks
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
I don't think you can... No one could know everything there is to know about it. Its a science
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
every single bit of theory?

you have to be one of the following:

a) a god
ii) a demon
c) einstein
d) dead
5) immortal
wtf) incinvible
32) invincible
ty) pikachu
stfu) any mixture of three or more of the above. (if you're a mixture of two then you fail)
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
I'm not disagreeing in any way, but how is it not possible to learn it all?
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by z4twenny
if i wanna fart into a mic, run it thru delay and an auto tuner set to the key of E and set it to a drum beat i can and its music.
Quote by 08L1V10N
What do you have to achieve/learn at least to say that you know theory? thanks

Does it matter?

I mean are you learning theory so that you can say " I KNOW THEORY", or are you learning it because your genuinely interested in the subject?
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Does it matter?

I mean are you learning theory so that you can say " I KNOW THEORY", or are you learning it because your genuinely interested in the subject?

I doubt that very many people that just want to say that they "know theory" will get very far into the subject. Anything as complex of a subject as music theory usually takes some bit of interest to even attempt to tackle such an undertaking, IMO.

Quote by z4twenny
if i wanna fart into a mic, run it thru delay and an auto tuner set to the key of E and set it to a drum beat i can and its music.
If you have learned theory you have.

Then I guess you can say that.

EDIT: If you are talking about using it then you just have to know enough to use it.
Really. I tried to think, but it always comes to that.
Last edited by Unrelaxed at Jun 28, 2009,
plus you don't even need to know anywhere near all of it.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
I don't think you can... No one could know everything there is to know about it. Its a science

It is not a science. Science is a method of obtaining and evaluating evidence. Music theory describes and communicates musical structure. It does not involve hypothesis testing, and certainly not in a form that qualifies it as a science.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I think music theory is one of those subjects where the more you learn, you more you realise you don't know, or haven't thought of.
Quote by zhilla
I think music theory is one of those subjects where the more you learn, you more you realise you don't know, or haven't thought of.

Until the amount you know becomes so great, that the amount you know that you don't know because a looming mass, and the mass equivalent ratio causes a huge black hole to appear inside the vortex, destroying as all?

Thats exactly what I thought.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
It is not a science. Science is a method of obtaining and evaluating evidence. Music theory describes and communicates musical structure. It does not involve hypothesis testing, and certainly not in a form that qualifies it as a science.

ok, ok it was a figure of speech
Quote by DrPeppler
I doubt that very many people that just want to say that they "know theory" will get very far into the subject. Anything as complex of a subject as music theory usually takes some bit of interest to even attempt to tackle such an undertaking, IMO.

I agree, but I don't think you understood my point if your offering this as an argument to it.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
I agree, but I don't think you understood my point if your offering this as an argument to it.

I wasn't trying to argue. I was just saying that he probably has some interest in it.

Quote by z4twenny
Quote by DrPeppler
I wasn't trying to argue. I was just saying that he probably has some interest in it.

He probably does. I was trying to make a point. Do you understand what that point was?

btw, if you read my post you'll notice that I was ASKING him if he had a genuine interest VS just wanting to be able to claim his achievement of "knowing theory". Why you answered instead of him, I'm not sure.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
He probably does. I was trying to make a point. Do you understand what that point was?

To my understanding, you were seeing if he was just wanting to be a douche or if he actually wanted to learn theory for his own satisfaction and education.

Back on subject, if you know ANYTHING about theory, then you know theory. Be it how to construct a major scale (WWhWWWh) or whatever. How much you know is just how much you know.

EDIT: And I wasn't answering for him. I just thought the question was somewhat irrelevant.

Quote by z4twenny
Last edited by DrPeppler at Jun 28, 2009,
music theory is very complex.
I can't say ' I learned music theory' because I just know a little bit.
I think people who are graduated from the conservatory must know about music theory adn they know what its 'learn music theory'
Quote by GuitarMunky
Does it matter?

No, that's not what I meant, I mean what are the things that you can't miss out?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Quote by 08L1V10N
No, that's not what I meant, I mean what are the things that you can't miss out?

You mean like what things MUST you know? (to be considered a person the "knows" music theory)

I don't think you can look at it that way. It's not a video game where you get your 150 head shots and rank up.

If your into it, just keep learning. It never really ends, so rather than defining your achievements, I would suggest that you keep learning and enjoying it, and let yourself develop.

If you want structured approach to learning the materials (which you should), I would recommend taking a class. Books do a good job of organizing the material. I mean I could throw some terms at you like... "you should know scale and chord construction...... key signatures......intervalic relationships....ect."

but really man, that's not going to help you all that much. There is alot of things you'll want to learn. More than we could put in a post and argue about all day. Get a book, or teacher, or take a class.... learn, enjoy, and don't worry about it.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by GuitarMunky
You mean like what things MUST you know? (to be considered a person the "knows" music theory)

I don't think you can look at it that way. It's not a video game where you get your 150 head shots and rank up.

If your into it, just keep learning. It never really ends, so rather than defining your achievements, I would suggest that you keep learning and enjoying it, and let yourself develop.

If you want structured approach to learning the materials (which you should), I would recommend taking a class.

+1

I think his original question has been answered quite thoroughly.

Quote by z4twenny
In my opinion, once you can completely write a song using basic music theory, you know music theory.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by tmfiore
In my opinion, once you can completely write a song using basic music theory, you know music theory.

"Basic music theory" is almost entirely descriptive. I really don't see how you would "write a song with it". Besides, I really don't think it's fair to say that someone who mixes vinegar and baking soda "knows chemistry". Why are the requirements for music theory so low?

I'd say that someone who manages to write a song using basic music theory knows basic music theory.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Thanks for the replies!
Since it is quite relevant I have another question, which I maybe don't have to make a new thread for: Since I'll be away from my guitar for 3 weeks I'd like (and I totally enjoy this) to improve my music theory with writing down things and test my self with intervals on paper etc.
So I was wondering does anybody have suggestions about what I could try to 'learn' like learning what notes are sharpened/flattened in a key, and other interesting stuff?
Quote by razorback91

You don't learn theory for the sake of learning theory, you learn theory to improve your understanding of music and ultimately it allows you to understand your instrument better, which in turn gives you more freedom of expression when playing.

Theory is something that you use constantly, and the more you use it the more you discover you can do with your instrument - arguably as far as how you can use theory knowledge to your advantage you'll never actually stop learning.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I think you know enough theory when you're able to play whatever you want on your instrument. But if you're a teacher, you also have to be able to communicate and explain what you're playing to others.

As for your second question, there are a lot of things you can do away from the guitar. One of my favorites is doing fretboard diagrams, where you draw a blank fretboard and write in things like all the G notes or all the notes of a particular chord or scale.

You can do other things like memorize the order of notes, learn the Circle of Fifths, learn sharps/flats of different keys, learn scales, diatonic harmony, etc. The list goes on and on - it all depends on your goals & what style of music you play.
theres not any point when you can say "i've learned theory completely" u'll always be learning new things but its how comfortable you are with it like if your comfortable with chord pregressions you can still learn more about them but you can be comfortable and be able to use that knowledge to push urself further... just my thoughts
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by 08L1V10N
Thanks for the replies!
Since it is quite relevant I have another question, which I maybe don't have to make a new thread for: Since I'll be away from my guitar for 3 weeks I'd like (and I totally enjoy this) to improve my music theory with writing down things and test my self with intervals on paper etc.
So I was wondering does anybody have suggestions about what I could try to 'learn' like learning what notes are sharpened/flattened in a key, and other interesting stuff?
I'd work my way through the Music Theory FAQ sticky, and expand on any bits you find particularly interesting by looking up lessons on them.
I say I know a little of it I didnt start till to long ago, but once I started to understand the basics of it, I would read, write, read, and write for HOURS no joke, once I got ****ed up and was reading and writing music theory related stuff for 18 hours, I know it sounds ridicualous but when your up for 3 days and that being the first night of being up....you find yourself doing alot of stuff
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
How can you practice diatonic harmony while away from the guitar?
Quote by razorback91

Quote by 08L1V10N
powertab/guitar pro/tux guitar. Or just harmonise the scale on a piece of paper.
Quote by 08L1V10N

sing
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Once you know it, you know it. I'm not sure how to answer the question. Music is just like any other language, and theory is the grammar of the language. Obviously there's always more to learn and refine, but there is basic knowledge of theory that will establish a framework for more advanced knowledge. So I'd say if you have a semi-fluent understanding of the basics, than you know theory, but there is always more to learn.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Last edited by Hobble at Jun 29, 2009,