I am debating between two different guitars. Either the 27 Fret Ibanez Xiphos guitar or the Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul. Both are pretty much metal guitars and both sound incredible, but they both have different features. The Xiphos has a sick 27 fret fretboard and good looks and the Epiphone has awesome looks as well and great EMGhz pickups. Please help me. I'm getting one very soon.
I find that EMGhz pickups have no flavor, and prefer the feel look and sound of the Xiphos anyways. That being me.
Both have a downfall the hz's on the wilde and the edge III on the ibanez. It all really comes down to if you want the trem or not. Have you played these guitars yet?
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
If you're serious about playing metal and need upper fret access, Xiphos over the ZW LP any day. The ZW LP has an incredible neck, but like all/most LP shapes, playing past the 15th fret can be tricky.
Quote by PabloGilberto
If you're serious about playing metal and need upper fret access, Xiphos over the ZW LP any day. The ZW LP has an incredible neck, but like all/most LP shapes, playing past the 15th fret can be tricky.

i agree, i own the ZW LP , and the neck is great.
My Facebook

MAIN Gear:

Jackson Pro Rhoads

AMP:

Head: Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier BLACK FACE

Cab: Mesa Boogie 4x12 Road King Slant
I've played the ZW Les Paul Custom on numerous occasions and to tell you the truth, I can't warm up to it. The neck is amazing: thin and lightning fast. However the upper frets are difficult to reach (not uncommon with LPs) and the EMG passive pups lack the bite that the regular active EMGs have.

I've played a Xiphos only briefly (24 fret version) and I really liked it.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
I wouldn't consider the ZW model unless it was Gibson (at 4000$+usd that's not reasonable for most people) and I don't mean to knock the Epiphone models cause they're good guitars, but in terms of what you can do fret wise 27 > 22. I'm sure you could swap the trem out on the Ibanez for a better one if it wasn't what you expected.
ibanez all the way, if you dont like the trem, just get a block and use it as a hard tail
I love them both. I've played both on numerous occasions. They both have incredible necks. But their are a lot of fun things that you can do with the Xiphos that you can't do with the Epi. The edge III isn't one of the best tremolo systems, but I could probably get someone to swap that out. But I love that Zakk Wylde sound and the neck is awesome.
ibby, the fret access is a monster on it
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
The Xiphos all the way, it has better pickups (the d-activator on the bridge is one of the best passives i've tried for metal) the neck is amazing and the extra frets are actually quite usable, as for the bridge I don't know much about the edge 3 since i have only tried briefly guitars with it but that can be easily changed if you don't like it.
Guitars:

Ibanez SZ320
Ibanez RG450
Ibanez SC620
Bc Rich Warlock 7 String
ESP LTD SC-607

FX:

Digitech Whammy 4
Line 6 PodXT Live

Amp:

Line 6 Flextone 2
I would have to say neither.
If I were you I'd look at an Ibanez without the Edge III and a non-sig guitar with better pickups. Either way, if you buy those guitars, you're looking at a 150-200 USD fix-up. That will take the total price up to close to 1000. You could to better. I'd say look at Carvin.
Quote by PabloGilberto
, but like all/most LP shapes, playing past the 15th fret can be tricky.

false statement
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
I don't know too much about metal guitars, but I'd say go with the Xiphos. Ive played a epi Zakk Wylde, the pickups weren't anything special, don't let the emg name fool you, they don't sound much like real emgs. Everything else about the guitar was fine, but the xiphos has more to offer, and unless you really dont like the neck, I'd go with that.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
If you like thick necks and can live without a trem, go for the Epi (the pickups, while not complete ****, are still not the greatest).

If you want a thin, flat neck with a trem, and pickups that vastly outclass the EMG HZ's in every way, go with the Xiphos.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I'd go with the ZW LP great playability and the pickups may not have the bite of an active pick up, the hz's are a great alternative
My Guitars-
ESP LTD EC-1000 (my big papa axe)
Mexican Fender Stratocaster (my blues baby)
Laguna le 122 (hunk of crap)

Amp-
Peavey Vypyr 75

Pedal-
Zakk Wylde Cry Baby
The Xiphos has a DiMarzio D Activator, which is a better alternative
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I would go with the Xiphos. The Edge III is not the best Trem, but it is not as bad as the bandwagon says it is. Keep it properly set up and maintained and it will last 2,MAYBE 3 years before the knife edge is crap. PLENTY of time to invest in a OFR, as they are interchangeable. Of course I never really like signature gear, so I am a little biased. Maybe get the ZW LP if you are intersted in some real EMGs later down the line, or refinishing it. That really comes down to personal preference.

EDIT: Also that guy that said getting a Standard and putting some EMG's into it has a point
Last edited by whitenihilist at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by whitenihilist
I would go with the Xiphos. The Edge III is not the best Trem, but it is not as bad as the bandwagon says it is. Keep it properly set up and maintained and it will last 2,MAYBE 3 years before the knife edge is crap. PLENTY of time to invest in a OFR, as they are interchangeable. Of course I never really like signature gear, so I am a little biased. Maybe get the ZW LP if you are intersted in some real EMGs later down the line, or refinishing it. That really comes down to personal preference.

EDIT: Also that guy that said getting a Standard and putting some EMG's into it has a point

Not really, the Zakk Wylde has a maple neck, no other LP has it.
Quote by r4ster
Not really, the Zakk Wylde has a maple neck, no other LP has it.

Really? Then NVM. But I still standby my opinion. I think that getting a guitar that already has someone elses signature finish or design or whatever is not as good as buying a guitar and making it your own. Plus it doesn't have a maple fretboard does it? because maple fretboard + LP =
Why? A maple fretboard on a mahogany guitar would balance out perfectly. Mahogany is more warm, maple is more bright. It would definitely work.

And who cares if it's "not yours/unoriginal"? If it's the best guitar in its price range, I will buy it. But the ZW LP isn't the best in its price range.

TS, if you can find an Ibanez Prestige, you won't be sorry. The S2170SE is pretty amazing. But it's been discontinued before I was able to save up enough
I really like the ZW-- probably cuz im a huge ozzy and BLS fan. But The Ibanez is a much higher quality guitar. Plus the 27 frets are pretty awesome.

Go for the Ibanez man
ive never played that ibanez but it looks sick. i have the epi zw and i put in the 81/85, you have to. and yes the upper fret access is a bitch but that is what you get with a les paul. it is great for metal though