I just like to know if there are any good exercises or stretches or w/e to help warmup my strumming arm (I use a pick) before playing b/c everytime I start playing, I can never finish the first song (I usually play punk so its just a lot of fast down strumming) and have to take a minute rest and then I'm good. But is there any other way besides playing a song to warm up or is this the best method? Thank you
Scales, the spider walk.
oh sorry. umm, what part of your arm is the problem?
Last edited by Halakar at Jun 28, 2009,
Quote by Halakar
Scales, the spider walk.
oh sorry. umm, what part of your arm is the problem?

Forearm is the one that gives out. My fretting hand is no problem
There's a song I love where the outro's bass is just a few notes played over and over again but it's picked kinda fast and it goes on for 3+ minutes and my hand/wrist/arm always gets VERY tired and sore during the last minute and it's a pain to get through. I haven't found a way to improve this, I hope that just by doing it over and over again my hand/wrist/arm strength and endurance should improve.

I also have problems with my fretting hand, like when I play between like a 2nd fret and 4th fret back and forth on different strings, my hand cramps after a while, because I alternate using my pointer and pinky finger. I'd also like some exercises to improve this. Look up the song/tabs to Hang Me Up to Dry by Cold War Kids to see what I mean.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by TheClash57
Forearm is the one that gives out. My fretting hand is no problem

you just need to play more, when i didnt play that much my forearm would ache after a few plucks, now that i play all the time i can play forever with out it even being bothered.
Before you play it's a good idea to massage your forearms, hands, and fingers, to get the blood flowing so your hands will be ready for playing.

If you're arm is getting tired from picking, you may want to review your technique, check put Carol Kaye's method for picking for playing with a pick, it will save you endurance and wrist problems in the future.. Picking shouldn't take much effort. One problem is probably that your trying to play fast with down-strums, you'll save a lot more energy if you alternate down/up.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Quote by Hobble
Before you play it's a good idea to massage your forearms, hands, and fingers, to get the blood flowing so your hands will be ready for playing.

If you're arm is getting tired from picking, you may want to review your technique, check put Carol Kaye's method for picking for playing with a pick, it will save you endurance and wrist problems in the future.. Picking shouldn't take much effort. One problem is probably that your trying to play fast with down-strums, you'll save a lot more energy if you alternate down/up.

I'll check that out. And I can alt strum but thats not the way punk is played. Thanks
Quote by TheClash57
I'll check that out. And I can alt strum but thats not the way punk is played. Thanks

Who gives a **** if that's "not the way punk is played?" If you're in pain I'd advise you to change your technique/practice in order to eliminate the pain. It's pointless to do something just because it's "cool" IMO.
Take it from someone who came from the first generation of "punk". Punk is an attitude and not the way you play your bass.

Make sure your hands and arms are physically warmed up. Cold hands and arms will be more likely to cramp up and ache. Also make sure you don't have a death grip on your pick, keep your arm, hand and wrist steady but relaxed.
Quote by anarkee
Take it from someone who came from the first generation of "punk". Punk is an attitude and not the way you play your bass.

Make sure your hands and arms are physically warmed up. Cold hands and arms will be more likely to cramp up and ache. Also make sure you don't have a death grip on your pick, keep your arm, hand and wrist steady but relaxed.

I wanted to bold that to point it out to others, I think that may be a major vice of mine, and I've been playing for 5 years.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8