I want to get a Digitech Whammy pedal but there are several versions and i dont know which one I actually want. The original (DigiTech WH-1 Whammy), the third one (DigiTech XP-100 Whammy-Wah), or the fourth one (the only one that anyonw wants to sell) IV. Im not sure what im expecting and what i want from the pedal that i get. Each one is different and i want an opinion on which one would be the best choice. Owner reviews would be really appreciated!
Loading Signature...
There's nothing wrong with the newest series, i'm gona get one relatively soon.

People just buy it because it looks attractive etc, then just dont use it :P
I like the first one because some of my favorite classic rock bands use them... Pink Floyd, etc... The fourth one is more of modern take on the sound as well as offering more sound options... Dragonforce uses the 3rd one so I don't like that one...
it is a very unreliable pedal. mine decides to not work, my 2 friends have the same issue and i've read countless complaints online about the Whammy 4.

other than that, its a great piece of gear, when it works.
I own the original digitech whammy. Well not the pricey original but the reissue. Just as good as the original one that Mr. Morello owns. It works well, has the same plus more settings and built tough. The only problems are that it will occasionally not go up a perfect octave and all you have to do is calibrate it, which is pretty quick and simple. I would go with this. The digitech IV is more of a press a button and it gets an octave up where as the WH 1 or a reissue you manually depress a pedal like a wah. I haven't had it for a great load of time but it works fine.
The whammy IV has more settings, but the whammy I supposedly tracks better and has a slightly different tone. The whammy IV works fine for me. If you've got a lot of cash to burn however you might look into the Eventide Pitchfactor. I hear they're a lot nicer. The XP-100 isn't that great, especially for whammy effects IMHO.

EDIT-

^^What kind of problems were they having? Mine at some point made a lot of muddy and not very useful noise. Treadle didn't react, that kind of stuff. As soon as I recalibrated it, it sounded fine. I will say that it is a bit finicky about certain bends and tones.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Last edited by Quinlan at Jun 28, 2009,
Considering the price, the only one that you are going to use it enough to justify the price (unless you're tom morello or russell lissack) is the latest one.
mine works for 5 mins then decides to cut out, yet my signal still passes through it so its obviously still live in the chain otherwise my signal would be cut as the pedal is not true bypass.

cant understand it and its so annoying. its impossible to gig with because its so unreliable and it has NEVER been abused, dropped etc. 2 friends have identical issues
People say the original is the best, but the new one has more features like Dive Bomb. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive in the mail, so I don't know about reliability.
Quote by scott316
it is a very unreliable pedal. mine decides to not work, my 2 friends have the same issue and i've read countless complaints online about the Whammy 4.

other than that, its a great piece of gear, when it works.

Yours was obviously just a lemon. Mine was bought back last August and is still in pristine working condition.

Quote by Cole419
I like the first one because some of my favorite classic rock bands use them... Pink Floyd, etc... The fourth one is more of modern take on the sound as well as offering more sound options... Dragonforce uses the 3rd one so I don't like that one...

You're just an idiot. You've never even used it.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Last edited by soul.power at Jun 28, 2009,
ive read countless bad reviews on the IX recently too. so i should get the WH1?
Loading Signature...