I'm thinking of buying a guitar (Schecter C1 Classic in Deep Sea Green) in America when i go there with my family in august (I'm 16 years old).
However, if I bring it back on the plane from LA to the UK what are the chances of me having to pay taxes and customs - and if I do end up having to pay them how much will it cost? (the price of the guitar is going to be approx $500.)
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!
I could not tell you. But i can tell you. My Schecter C-1 Classic (red with gold hardware) is the best guitar I have ever had, and I have 2 LPs etc etc.

500 though?!?! I got mine for 990

The tax and customs would be worth it!
They probably wouldn'd charge you. If you put it under the plane as your only bag going in cargo it shouldn't cost anything. or you could mail it home.
Try as many guitars as you can. But since you have limited time in the US, try to quickly narrow down your search and then spend a long time of each of the 3-4 guitars you narrowed it down to.

And if you bring a used case to the US and bring the guitar back in it, you might not get hit with tax.
I got my C1 classic in the USA, amazing guitar. Taxes would be 20% I think. That means you would bay 100 taxes I think. There's a pretty good chance they'll stop you for it.
WTLTL 2011
I have two choices - I can ship it to america for $35 (to the friends who I'm going to stay with) and then bring it back on the plane in August, or I can have it shipped to the UK for $120, and they said that they would put a very low price on the guitar and label it as repair returns (which apparently should stop it from being charged with tax and customs when coming into the UK.
Which should I do - the shipping to the UK would supposedly be better IF i don't get charged taxes - but there's no guarantee.
I'd ship your case to the US and then carry it back on the plane. $35 > $120 + chance of being taxed.
Ibanez RGT42DX
Vox AC30C2
Digitech Whammy (FOR SALE!)
Dunlop GCB-95F Crybaby
Boss DD-20
Boss SD-1
Ibanez TS9DX
MXR M-108 10 Band EQ
Quote by soul.power
I'd ship your case to the US and then carry it back on the plane. $35 > $120 + chance of being taxed.

Yup.
But if the seller marks the box as a repair return surely they won't tax it - and if he writes on it that it has a very low price, even if I do have to pay customs, wouldn't it be really low (as the written cost is very low).
Couldn't you just put it in a flight case and treat it like luggage?
Feed your mind.
You already made this same topic twice the other week. The answer is still the same; it's a ****ing stupid idea that won't save you money and could very well land you in legal trouble. At best you could try and get it declared as a gift but most shops in the US won't do that.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
You already made this same topic twice the other week. The answer is still the same; it's a ****ing stupid idea that won't save you money and could very well land you in legal trouble. At best you could try and get it declared as a gift but most shops in the US won't do that.

this sums it up perfectly.
to 'Mr.Flibble' - the question I have asked is completely different to my previous threads - I am asking how much the customs is going to cost, not how I can avoid them. What a dick.