I'm looking to buy my first half stack because now that my band is starting to play shows my combo is not up to par. I have about $700 and was wondering what a good amp in that price range was? Keep in mind I need a cab as well. My band plays power/thrash metal if that helps at all.
Last edited by big_deth at Jun 28, 2009,
if you need cleans, get something like a classic 30 head and a distortion pedal.

if you dont, 6505 head/combo.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94
if you need cleans, get something like a classic 30 head and a distortion pedal.

if you dont, 6505 head/combo.

this

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I feel its only fair to warn you, you are about to be hit by millions of anti half stack band wagoners. I recommend you take cover.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

check my thread for them

but here are my suggestions.
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Peavey 5150
Peavey Utra
Peavey Butcher
Randall Warhead
Randall MTS series
Randall V2
Crate Blue Voodoo
Ampeg Vh140C

all of those are in your price range if you look hard enough in Ebay or craigslist.
and some of them also appears in combo form.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Randall MTS! its the only thing i praise around here..
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Look for a used Mesa DC-10 head if you can. The Laney VH100 will work well too. you'll only have $200-$300 to spend on the cab though, so get a 2x12.

You'll definitely get more bang/buck with a combo, but you should be able to manage an okay halfstack in that price range. As long as you understand that they're no louder/better for gigging than combos, just a different sound.
Last edited by kyle62 at Jun 28, 2009,
I'll suggest a randall, they seem amazing for thrash from what I've played, the cleans were meh though, you dont really NEED a half stack, a 212 or even 112 combo would work fine. Also mesa F series are good, you could find one used.